Wrong heat control

-

Popdart

Reaction score
Hey guys . . . need some help. My 73 Swinger has the heater controls shown in the first pic. Fender tag sez it was originally an A/C car. The PO butchered the bezel to fit the control (second pic). It has 4 mounting bolts at the firewall. What do I have and what is supposed to be there? I don't want an A/C setup, I am fine with just the heater, all A/C parts are gone anyway. Thanks for any help . . . Rog

Attachments

• mydart2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 112
You definately have a mismatch there.....the face plate is correct for a '73 but the control is an earlier one. The '73 control should be a lever type with a verticle fan control in a plastic housing. The one you have is a slide control with a metal housing. It looks like they trimmed an earlier face plate to be used with the early control and then trimmed the later face plate to get it to kinda-sorta fit together. To get it correct for '73, you would need a face plate and control assy. at a minimum and maybe more if you want to get the heater working. The A/C controls used vacuum to operate the flaps but the non-A/C cars used cables so they may not work with your heater suitcase.

Thanks for the reply . . . I forgot about the improvement to vacuum. This car didn't even have heater hoses on and the core leaked. The heater box is not original either. I have no vacuum hardware at all, so I guess I need to commit to something. I bought a vacuum slide control last year but have nothing more. Maybe someone on here will have what I need.

Thanks you have been a help. Rog

-
Back