Wrong size steering armsfor modified '65 Barracuda

-

RJG

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
On my '65 Barracuda, it is time to replace my steering arms/ lower ball joints.
Unfortunately the ones I purchased for a '65 are similar shape but are too small. Those on the car are 10" long, the wrong ones are 9".
I believe the front end was beefed up a bit. The discs are 11".
Can someone suggest what year car might have a larger arm, so I have a good chance of ordering the right part this time?
Thank you FABO
RJG

Four-piston caliper or single
Sliders or pins?
Ventilated discs?
Calipers on front or rear?
Dual chamber master or single
Aluminum or cast iron.
Dual exits or just on outboard side?
Big and little reservoirs?
Bailing handle or screw top?
Tin cover or billet aluminum?
Proportioning valve mounted on side or somewhere lower on the frame?
OK,OK stop!

In 65 I think there were 3 arms available. All three had the small balljoint. One for the 9"drum, one for the 10" drum and one for the KH 4-piston calipers with ventilated cast 11.04" discs.
But I cannot recall if the arm lengths were different

Last edited:
The lower ball joint is integral with the steering arm and that tapered shaft is the same size for all A-bodies (62-76) since the LCA's interchange. But, the ball joints vary. I recall in early A's the 9 & 10" drums are the same PN, but K-H disks are different (check rockauto). The thru bolts are in the same location but the holes are larger for disks. If your new ball joints have holes too small for the bolts, then your surely got drum ones. BTW, 1 hole is actually threaded in the 10" drum spindles so don't pound it out thinking it is rusted in like yours truly gomer did.

Thank you for the replies,
They are 11" discs. The arm matched a 1970 Barracuda and is 10" in length. The earlier cars have a 9" arm.
Thanks again,
rjg

-
Back