Wrong Speedometer cable?

-

cudaguy36

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope I'm asking this question in the right spot. Its about my Speedometer cable that I just bought. I opened the box and the end that goes into the transmission doesn't look like the end that is currently on my new 727 in my 1967 Barracuda.
Here's the current one and a pic of the new one. Do you think it'll thread on?

20200810_203054.jpg

20200802_142404.jpg

sorry, for clarification the first pic is of both ends of the new cable.

The new cable having the correct type attachment for a 67 speedometer head is a good sign.

I was just looking at replacement cables myself, a lot of the cables listed as "correct" for my Duster had the incorrect female end at the transmission, a lot are 5/8", my trans. is 7/8". Ordered correct cable through NAPA for like $20.00.

This is correct housing (transmission end)for '67
upload_2020-8-11_9-29-0.png

The cable nut is crimped to the cable housing.
Replacements will generally have a free spinning nut, which is more convenient for removing and installing.

Critical dimensions are the housing length relative to the cable length, and the stop on the cable itself.
upload_2020-8-11_9-35-51.png

Last edited:
ok thanks, I guess I'll go get started on the removal and replacement and see how it goes.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a replacement firewall grommet. Suppose it could be sliced with a razor and then glued back together with the typoe of cement used for inner tube repairs. I had Bob's make a new cable and transfer the original grommet at the same time they repaired the speedo so can't help more on that.

This is correct housing (transmission end)for '67
View attachment 1715576316
The cable nut is crimpled to the cable housing.
Replacements will generally have a free spinning nut, which is more convenient for removing and installing.

Critical dimensions are the housing length relative to the cable length, and the stop on the cable itself.
View attachment 1715576319
Thanks, that stop location does look like mine.

20200811_064226.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen a replacement firewall grommet. Suppose it could be sliced with a razor and then glued back together with the typoe of cement used for inner tube repairs. I had Bob's make a new cable and transfer the original grommet at the same time they repaired the speedo so can't help more on that.
Ok thanks, ill try to swap my grommet since my new cable didn't include one in the package.

Ok thanks all for the help. I installed it this morning and was able to reuse my grommet even. It works

20200811_084042.jpg

Screenshot_20200811-095911_Video Player.jpg

I hope you lubed the shaft in the speedometer head. The shaft seizing is usually the cause of a broken cable........that and the cable housing laying on a hot exhaust pipe.

I hope you lubed the shaft in the speedometer head. The shaft seizing is usually the cause of a broken cable........that and the cable housing laying on a hot exhaust pipe.
yup, I sprayed some white lithium grease in both ends as much as I could.
My old cable was melted through from the exhaust.

My old cable was melted through from the exhaust.
There is/was at least one clip on the body for the speedometer cable.
My car, a '67 B that started life with a 225, has a retaining clip welded to the floor pan. I don't know if all models/engine/trans combos had the same.

There is/was at least one clip on the body for the speedometer cable.
My car, a '67 B that started life with a 225, has a retaining clip welded to the floor pan. I don't know if all models/engine/trans combos had the same.
Here's a photo.
upload_2020-8-17_16-28-57.png

The rest of the routing, I'm not sure. The way I've had it in this car is over to the left and up along the inner fender.

Found a photo of how I've had mine routed.
upload_2020-8-17_23-4-8.png

It keeps it further from the exhuast than if it went straight forward.
I'd love to hear or see if this was how the factory did it.

-
Back