Wyoming Wind Sock

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
If you have not spent any/much time in WY, you may not appreciate how windy as it is in some parts of the state. Overall, it has the highest average annual wind of any of the US states.

I like this article; the 1st pix is a priceless and humorous indicator of how windy it is there.

Wyoming Climate Atlas

Oh wow! That would drive me crazy I could never live there I cant stand wind I get so aggravated here on windy days.

Drove a truck all over Wyoming. The wind only blows once a year there, starts January 1st and stops December 31st.

I made one of those wind indicators for my yard as a joke and used styrofoam to form the chain links. Painted it black with craft paint. I was pretty hilarious to watch people's reaction for a couple of days until the wind destroyed it!

Went thru there in motor home in 1993 and when I would pass a wind break it would swerve bad. I stopped to get gas close to Cheyenne and wind was blowing so hard I could hardly stand. I asked when the wind stopped and they said it don't. Had sand in my underwear!

I lived in Cheyenne for 3 1/2 years. My ears used to ache from the wind and in the winter the wind blew from every direction at the same time. You'd hug a building as you walked to get on the leeward side and as soon as you tuned the corner you'd be hit by same wind coming from the other direction. It was extremely annoying and painful, especially when the temps dropped well below freezing for weeks at a time. The winds were/are relentless. Now that I'm back home in Texas I can't even stand a mild wind because of what I went through in Cheyenne. Treblig

There's an old saying that people from Wyoming are so used to leaning into the wind that when they came down to Colorado they would fall down.

There's an old saying that people from Wyoming are so used to leaning into the wind that when they came down to Colorado they would fall down.
I still lean a little to one side but I think it's because the side I used to have turned towards the freezing wind hasn't thawed out yet!!!

I can understand all of that. We traveled back and forth through WY last winter....40-50 mph gusts on I-80 heading west past Laramie. Then on the way back 10 days later, the forecasts for Cheyenne that night were for gusts up to 60 mph. Parked the trailer by the motel where it might be sheltered, but at 3 AM, peeked out the window and saw the trailer rocking.... just said 'oh well' and went back to bed LOL. Just regular WY winter weather!

It's not that bad all over WY; there are some calmer spots in some regions. But it is really unique.

-
Back