Yea, "never done" but close for now.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I like one of a kind and also like to fab my own parts for a lot of things, so here are some pics of what I have been doing.
Some of you have seen some of this already but now it's really close to how I wanted it to end up.
The dash cap is hand made metal backed carbon fiber panels with aluminum trim with the gauge cluster in the center for tach, air/fuel ratio and gas gauge. and line lock LED
The cluster gauges are all white faced with orange needles and the 60mph numbers on the speedometer was replaced with a Jack Daniels throwing dart.
The three original gauges to the left side of the cluster were replaced with mechanical aftermarket but using the same holes as the stock ones with the amp gauge replaced with a volt meter. (far left volts, center temp, and right oil pressure.
The original fuel gauge was replaced with a removable analog clock.
I recently painted the cardboard headliner with 3 heavy coats of flat black applied with a 3 inch foam roller.

The interior light has been altered to use 2 led dash style lights and now has a small rocker switch on the rear of it so I can turn it off completely if I want, and I can also turn it on or off with the dimmer switch, as well as letting it come on when the doors open. (or not via the rocker switch)
The overhead light is now a sharp crystal looking blue color (the floor "map" lights currently work as normal. (soon to be LED's)

The device you see between the visors is a flip down Kindle Fire wireless internet touch screen that is tied into the car's sound system, and is where most of my music is now.
I just switch the input source on the stereo to "Auxiliary input" and play whatever I want to hear by song, album, or artist.
Using my phone as a hotspot I can also have internet access any time, and anywhere.
Otherwise I need to be in range of a hotspot, which are everywhere these days.
The Kindle is powered and charged with the same 5 volt regulator that used to power my gauges way back when they were all stock and the factory regulator didn't work.
Kindles require the exact same 5 volts and one amp that the regulator puts out so I already had the hardware and just wired it into the car to come on only when the car is running. (when the car is not running it runs off it's own internal battery, and when the car is running it runs and charges off the car electrical.)

The steering wheel is a Big Dog all billet wheel and mounting hardware, and you may notice it's polished aluminum on the window side of the wheel and black vinyl on the driver facing side.
I added the blue mylar Mopar sticker to the horn button.

The shifter is a Hearst Pro Matic II ratchet shifter with a Hearst T handle, and a line lock switch is mounted on the front of the lever for index finger access (in the pic you can barely see the little satin black bracket that holds it in place) and the clear wires for the switch are super glued to the front side of the lever and run down through the shifter box and under the carpet up to the line lock activation relay.
It has LED brakelights that come on when the line lock is active, but did it in a way that I have never seen or heard of.
I used a 10 amp diode inline between the line lock power wire and the wire at the brakelight switch under the dash, so when the line lock is powered the brake light come on, but when I press the brake pedal the line lock does not activate because the diode stops backflow of power to the lock.

I love doing this stuff, and I get a lot of comments on it everywhere I go.
Seems there is almost always someone standing by it when I come out of a store or after paying for gas, and I am very proud of it.

Here are a few pics of some of the work done so far.
I might start on the body before long now.:D

Attachments

• roofand light.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 265
  • dashandwheel.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 263
  • dashsmall.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 242
  • dart1a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 274
Thanks guy's.
I get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of doing this stuff, and the fact that I can trust it to take off across the country if I decided, makes it just that much more fun.
I'll bet I have put 20,000 miles on it just this year with never an issue of any kind.

I like one of a kind and also like to fab my own parts for a lot of things, so here are some pics of what I have been doing.
Some of you have seen some of this already but now it's really close to how I wanted it to end up.
The dash cap is hand made metal backed carbon fiber panels with aluminum trim with the gauge cluster in the center for tach, air/fuel ratio and gas gauge. and line lock LED
The cluster gauges are all white faced with orange needles and the 60mph numbers on the speedometer was replaced with a Jack Daniels throwing dart.
The three original gauges to the left side of the cluster were replaced with mechanical aftermarket but using the same holes as the stock ones with the amp gauge replaced with a volt meter. (far left volts, center temp, and right oil pressure.
The original fuel gauge was replaced with a removable analog clock.
I recently painted the cardboard headliner with 3 heavy coats of flat black applied with a 3 inch foam roller.

The interior light has been altered to use 2 led dash style lights and now has a small rocker switch on the rear of it so I can turn it off completely if I want, and I can also turn it on or off with the dimmer switch, as well as letting it come on when the doors open. (or not via the rocker switch)
The overhead light is now a sharp crystal looking blue color (the floor "map" lights currently work as normal. (soon to be LED's)

The device you see between the visors is a flip down Kindle Fire wireless internet touch screen that is tied into the car's sound system, and is where most of my music is now.
I just switch the input source on the stereo to "Auxiliary input" and play whatever I want to hear by song, album, or artist.
Using my phone as a hotspot I can also have internet access any time, and anywhere.
Otherwise I need to be in range of a hotspot, which are everywhere these days.
The Kindle is powered and charged with the same 5 volt regulator that used to power my gauges way back when they were all stock and the factory regulator didn't work.
Kindles require the exact same 5 volts and one amp that the regulator puts out so I already had the hardware and just wired it into the car to come on only when the car is running. (when the car is not running it runs off it's own internal battery, and when the car is running it runs and charges off the car electrical.)

The steering wheel is a Big Dog all billet wheel and mounting hardware, and you may notice it's polished aluminum on the window side of the wheel and black vinyl on the driver facing side.
I added the blue mylar Mopar sticker to the horn button.

The shifter is a Hearst Pro Matic II ratchet shifter with a Hearst T handle, and a line lock switch is mounted on the front of the lever for index finger access (in the pic you can barely see the little satin black bracket that holds it in place) and the clear wires for the switch are super glued to the front side of the lever and run down through the shifter box and under the carpet up to the line lock activation relay.
It has LED brakelights that come on when the line lock is active, but did it in a way that I have never seen or heard of.
I used a 10 amp diode inline between the line lock power wire and the wire at the brakelight switch under the dash, so when the line lock is powered the brake light come on, but when I press the brake pedal the line lock does not activate because the diode stops backflow of power to the lock.

I love doing this stuff, and I get a lot of comments on it everywhere I go.
Seems there is almost always someone standing by it when I come out of a store or after paying for gas, and I am very proud of it.

Here are a few pics of some of the work done so far.
I might start on the body before long now.:D

The best part of your car,when I drove it ,Greg. Love the Kindle setup. Isn't it amazing how much attention, a vintage Mopar can draw? The Carl's Jr guy, & the female on the bicycle on your smoking gig. Did Chevy for 20 years, they only get noticed at car shows/cruises.

Very cool and a lot of similar stuff I've been playing with too. Gotta know, did you buy a new lens cover for your overhead light? Even new ones seem to have that yellow hue to them from what I've seen so wondering how you got the blue tint to it? Just how it looks with the led coming though or a new lens?

Very cool and a lot of similar stuff I've been playing with too. Gotta know, did you buy a new lens cover for your overhead light? Even new ones seem to have that yellow hue to them from what I've seen so wondering how you got the blue tint to it? Just how it looks with the led coming though or a new lens?

Thanks again guys for the comments.

The lens for the overhead is that bluish color because that is the color of the LED's.
They are supposed to be white, but they do throw a blue tint.

Ok the lens is/was almost clear when I started and I realized that it didn't have to curve away from the bulb for clearance or heat anymore because of using LED's so I could make it flat instead of domed out
I cut it out of a plastic coffee can lid and scrubbed it with steel wool on both sides to give it a flat misted glass type finish.
it is retained in the housing by two tabs just like the original.

The best part of your car,when I drove it ,Greg. Love the Kindle setup. Isn't it amazing how much attention, a vintage Mopar can draw? The Carl's Jr guy, & the female on the bicycle on your smoking gig. Did Chevy for 20 years, they only get noticed at car shows/cruises.

It gets more attention than a lot of other cars I noticed, and especially from older people.
Young boys seem to get a kick out of it more than one would think also. (you know 10-14 or so)
It gets called a buick quite a bit since there is no badging on it at all, but again just yesterday an older woman walks up and says "73 Dart huh?"
Those are the ones that I get a kick out of.

It gets more attention than a lot of other cars I noticed, and especially from older people.
Young boys seem to get a kick out of it more than one would think also. (you know 10-14 or so)
It gets called a buick quite a bit since there is no badging on it at all, but again just yesterday an older woman walks up and says "73 Dart huh?"
Those are the ones that I get a kick out of.

It's a 40 year old car, Greg. No one remembers basic Mopar ,other than Chargers, Challengers,& E body 'Cudas. Part of it makes it fun, everyone thinks it's a "Nova", lmao.

It's a 40 year old car, Greg. No one remembers basic Mopar ,other than Chargers, Challengers,& E body 'Cudas. Part of it makes it fun, everyone thinks it's a "Nova", lmao.

A Nova with a beak and a melted back window. :D

-
Back