Yeah Baby

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been posting on here several places about several problems concerning the heating problems I have been having on this 440 while idling in traffic or at any length of time. I can honestly say this thing is fixed. I have idled this thing for 45 minutes here today after I finished all the changes and the temp never got past 190*.I didn't want to go with an electric fan because if something went out electrically, you are screwed so I tried to stay with a factory fan.I replaced the radiator with a new Champion MC526 22" one. But when I did that I couldn't use the other fan even though it was an 18" fan because it would hit the shroud. I didn't have a shroud on there so I bought a 22" shroud to go on it. Part # is 3673821. Then I had to go with a smaller fan because of the way this 440 sits in the bay. it wasn't centered with the shroud. I did the measurement and come up with a 17" fan was as big as I could go with. I bought a Derale 17" fan part # 17317 and I put a 1" fan spacer on there to get it closer to the radiator. I was also having problem with the temp sending units I was running with the electric gauge I bought so I finally found the right fitting I needed to go in the water jacket and put the mechanical gauge back in and that problem was solved. So now I have the factory gauge working in the cluster and the water temp gauge working in the 3 gauge setup. Now after 45 minutes of idling the car in the driveway and the temp never got over 190* I think it is done. Finally. All I have to do tonight is run the gauge wire through the dash and into the bracket.Thanks to all of you who gave your opinions and suggestions.

DSC00207.JPG

DSC00210.JPG

DSC00211.JPG

DSC00212.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

DSC00216.JPG

a little more than an inch.
same fan I`m running. Diff shroud set up tho , fan is centered in the shroud now. 15" booster fan in front -set to come on at 200, it sets about 2" off the radiator in front..

Bill what came out for a rad?

Some time ago, "Oldmanmopar" posted that he'd found instances of rads where the fins and tubes had evidently cracked loose.........they don't leak, and they look fine, but don't transfer much heat. I believe I was a victim of this. My original rad would not cool a 360 or 318, and I ended up dropping in a similar (73/ later) 2 core SLANT rad I had. The temp IMMEDIATELY dropped.

A rad shop had checked out my original 273 rad and told me "it would cool anything." Uh, "ok?"

Cool.:D
Now just know that I have pulled the shaft right out of the water pump twice right at 6k with the solid metal fan.
It took the water pump, radiator, shroud and fan both times.:D

Not on this Dart but a 69 440 Roadrunner.

Bill what came out for a rad?

Some time ago, "Oldmanmopar" posted that he'd found instances of rads where the fins and tubes had evidently cracked loose.........they don't leak, and they look fine, but don't transfer much heat. I believe I was a victim of this. My original rad would not cool a 360 or 318, and I ended up dropping in a similar (73/ later) 2 core SLANT rad I had. The temp IMMEDIATELY dropped.

A rad shop had checked out my original 273 rad and told me "it would cool anything." Uh, "ok?"

Not sure what you are asking but I bought a Champion MC526 4 row.

I meant what did you have in the car that did not work? Or in other words how does the new rad compare to the old one?

Del. I had a 3 row radiator in it that had been it for years. Don't know which one and really don't know if it was a Mopar radiator. It cooled ok except when I idled it to any length or get on stop and go traffic. I had no shroud, had factory 18" fan. I changed all of this because I plan on putting all 3 cars in the parade when we go to Cruisin the Coast end of this month. This one would have given me trouble.

-
Back