Year one 17 inch ralleys

-

snuffys dart

Reaction score
has anyone put a set of year one 17 inch billet ralley wheels on an a body yet? If I would love to see some pics

What's the backspacing? Someone once said 4.75 to 5" is ideal in the rear end 5.75ish for the front.

The 17x8's should fit. Ideally, they'd have more backspace in the front. They should fit though if you don't go too crazy with the tire. They should fit ok in the back, same deal with the tire (on a Dart anyway, they'd be fine on a Duster/Demon).

I've tried the 17x9's with 5" backspace from my Challenger on my '71 Dart in the back and my Duster in the front and back with 275/40/17's. They hit the springs on the rear of the Dart, and were right up against the quarters too. With a 1/2" spring offset they might fit, but you'd have to trim the quarter lip for sure on a Dart. A 255 would fit easier on the quarter, but I still think you'd need the spring offset to clear the springs by enough. On my Duster they fit with a 1/4" spacer to keep them off the springs, they just touched there. Again, it'd be good to do at least the 1/2" spring offset for space, with that in there you'd be clear on the springs and the quarters with no issues. Lots more room on a Duster vs a Dart.

On the front you need more backspace. With 275/40/17's there's no way you'd keep the tires from hitting the fenders in the front, to go that wide you'd need the 5.75 to 6" backspace with 17x9's, whatever you could get away with before tie rod interference. I don't think going to a 255 would help either, you'd still be into the fender. And if you're going to go smaller than that, you might as well get the 17x8.

BUMP - I'm really hoping someone posts some pics of their 68 - 69 Dart with this 17" Year One Rallye setup. At first I wasn't at all fond of these, but they have really grown on me! Who's going to try it first?

(I can't because the front BS is too small with the AlterK setup)

Has anyone actually talked to someone at yearone about these wheels. There advertised as 4.5 backspace on the 8 inch wheel but there listed as 4.1/4 on there website.

Here is a cheaper alternative.....17x7 steel wheels from late model chargers/300's/magnums

Gdemon71b-1.jpg

4.25" Backspace....fit a B-Body 8 3/4 rear in an A-body with NO modifications

Fit the hubs no problem, front/rear.
17" FORD Universal Trim Rings fit like they were designed to fit these rims....center caps fit and look OE, but you have to drill the mounting holes in the rims.

I have 5 sets of these wheels if anybody wants a set of 4.....no trim rings or center caps....and all of the rims are powdercoated BLACK, OEM.
$125/set of 4 + shipping.
No tires.

Yr one got it right. All the prior custom 17"+ ralleyes always looked awful

Hey Nu Blu,

I have seen a few of your posts while looking up info on putting 17"s.

I just bought a 71 Swinger and am looking at upgrading to 17 inch rallye wheels.

I am thinking of doing the PST drop spindles and 11 3/4 brake swap and putting in an 8 3/4 rear.

I really don't want to mini tub the car.

Any suggestions as to what will work with this combo?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

The 17x8's should fit. Ideally, they'd have more backspace in the front. They should fit though if you don't go too crazy with the tire. They should fit ok in the back, same deal with the tire (on a Dart anyway, they'd be fine on a Duster/Demon).

I've tried the 17x9's with 5" backspace from my Challenger on my '71 Dart in the back and my Duster in the front and back with 275/40/17's. They hit the springs on the rear of the Dart, and were right up against the quarters too. With a 1/2" spring offset they might fit, but you'd have to trim the quarter lip for sure on a Dart. A 255 would fit easier on the quarter, but I still think you'd need the spring offset to clear the springs by enough. On my Duster they fit with a 1/4" spacer to keep them off the springs, they just touched there. Again, it'd be good to do at least the 1/2" spring offset for space, with that in there you'd be clear on the springs and the quarters with no issues. Lots more room on a Duster vs a Dart.

On the front you need more backspace. With 275/40/17's there's no way you'd keep the tires from hitting the fenders in the front, to go that wide you'd need the 5.75 to 6" backspace with 17x9's, whatever you could get away with before tie rod interference. I don't think going to a 255 would help either, you'd still be into the fender. And if you're going to go smaller than that, you might as well get the 17x8.

Here is a cheaper alternative.....17x7 steel wheels from late model chargers/300's/magnums

Gdemon71b-1.jpg

4.25" Backspace....fit a B-Body 8 3/4 rear in an A-body with NO modifications

Fit the hubs no problem, front/rear.
17" FORD Universal Trim Rings fit like they were designed to fit these rims....center caps fit and look OE, but you have to drill the mounting holes in the rims.

I have 5 sets of these wheels if anybody wants a set of 4.....no trim rings or center caps....and all of the rims are powdercoated BLACK, OEM.
$125/set of 4 + shipping.
No tires.
You know, I've seen you're car mulitple times on the web and have a few pics saved to my computer cause I love the look so much. I would have never guessed that's where those wheels came from! Gotta say, I applaud your creativity! :cheers:

Hey Nu Blu,

I have seen a few of your posts while looking up info on putting 17"s.

I just bought a 71 Swinger and am looking at upgrading to 17 inch rallye wheels.

I am thinking of doing the PST drop spindles and 11 3/4 brake swap and putting in an 8 3/4 rear.

I really don't want to mini tub the car.

Any suggestions as to what will work with this combo?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

The 11 3/4" disks won't be an issue. They require 15" rims, but other than that they have the same offset and everything as the 10.87" 73-76 disks. The drop spindles will limit the amount of backspace you can run. Basically, with a 2" drop spindle and a 17" rim your tie rod end clearance will be the same as a 15" rim. For most people what that means is no more than about 5.6" backspace in the front.

Now, with the 17" year one rallye's that isn't an issue, because they only have 4.5" of backspace. What will be an issue is the 17x8" rim and only 4.5" of backspace. Its going to be tight for clearance on the fender, and I'm assuming if you want to run drop spindles you want the car LOW in the front. That will be your hang up. To make that combo work I'd keep the tire in the front limited to a 225/45/17 or 225/50/17. You might be able to clear a 235, but a 245 will rub for sure. You can also trim the inner fender lip or run a little more negative camber in front to give you some extra space.

In the back you shouldn't have any issues with an A body width 8 3/4". The 17x8 with a 4.5" backspace is pretty close to ideal for the stock 8 3/4 and stock location springs. You should be able to run a 245/45/17 back there with no problems. You could probably even get away with 255/45/17 as long as the axle is centered well, you might have to trim the inner quarter lip a bit for clearance to be safe though.

So, with the 17x8" 4.5" backspace rallye's I'd say a 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear would be relatively "safe" for clearance. Those are pretty short tires though, 25" and 25.7". A 225/50/17 (25.9") front would work too, but that would be taller than a 245/45/27 in the back, so you'd have to find a 245/50/17 (26.3")

A 235/45/17 front and 255/45/17 rear would probably fit, but you'd be pushing a little bit for clearance. I think it would work, but it would probably involve some tweaking of camber in the front and trimming of fender lips front/rear.

With the standard disclaimer that all of these cars a little different, and the lower you go for ride height the bigger your clearance issues will be.

Prine...like the look...

And love the fact that you were able to find a way to do it economicaly! :prayer:

The Challenger looks great too, I'm not a huge fan of the rallys but they look so much better than the 14" roller skates.

What car are you considering putting these on because across the A-Body line, there are different wheel well sizes. When converting to LBP, the track width can change and become wider depending on how you do it. Going to the 73- up discs will widen the front track. Early b-body or A body 8-3/4 rears with bigger B and C Body brakes will make the rear track wider. These will sometimes require more positive offset (i.e. more backspacing) wheels. Cars like Dusters and Barracudas can get away with less offset in the rear, but not he 67-69 Darts. I needed a 17x8 with 5.25" BS to fit centered in the wheel well of my 69' with an a body 8-3/4 with C body drums and a 17x7 with 4.75 BS 73 and newer discs in the front.

Thanks Blu!

Much needed information.

I will probably go with the 17" x 7 and 225/45/17 or 225/50/17 tires in front, I don't want to buy a lot of tires :)

I will toss the idea back and forth for a while on the tire size in the back, and I would not have thought to measure the rear to make sure it is centered, thank you.

I am also in Nor Cal, maybe I will run into you sometime at a car show.

Thanks again.
Mike

The 11 3/4" disks won't be an issue. They require 15" rims, but other than that they have the same offset and everything as the 10.87" 73-76 disks. The drop spindles will limit the amount of backspace you can run. Basically, with a 2" drop spindle and a 17" rim your tie rod end clearance will be the same as a 15" rim. For most people what that means is no more than about 5.6" backspace in the front.

Now, with the 17" year one rallye's that isn't an issue, because they only have 4.5" of backspace. What will be an issue is the 17x8" rim and only 4.5" of backspace. Its going to be tight for clearance on the fender, and I'm assuming if you want to run drop spindles you want the car LOW in the front. That will be your hang up. To make that combo work I'd keep the tire in the front limited to a 225/45/17 or 225/50/17. You might be able to clear a 235, but a 245 will rub for sure. You can also trim the inner fender lip or run a little more negative camber in front to give you some extra space.

In the back you shouldn't have any issues with an A body width 8 3/4". The 17x8 with a 4.5" backspace is pretty close to ideal for the stock 8 3/4 and stock location springs. You should be able to run a 245/45/17 back there with no problems. You could probably even get away with 255/45/17 as long as the axle is centered well, you might have to trim the inner quarter lip a bit for clearance to be safe though.

So, with the 17x8" 4.5" backspace rallye's I'd say a 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear would be relatively "safe" for clearance. Those are pretty short tires though, 25" and 25.7". A 225/50/17 (25.9") front would work too, but that would be taller than a 245/45/27 in the back, so you'd have to find a 245/50/17 (26.3")

A 235/45/17 front and 255/45/17 rear would probably fit, but you'd be pushing a little bit for clearance. I think it would work, but it would probably involve some tweaking of camber in the front and trimming of fender lips front/rear.

With the standard disclaimer that all of these cars a little different, and the lower you go for ride height the bigger your clearance issues will be.

Hi Dano,

The car is a 71 Swinger.
I will be installing an 8 3/4 A body rear. I would like to put dics on it but will have to wait and see how my budget goes. I will not be buying rims until the front is converted to disc and not until I have the BBP axles installed in the rear.

Thanks for enlightening me on the variables in width with the different sizes and swapping out to the 73 up front end. I had done this swap on a 67 dart I used to drive, but was only running 15 inch rallyes on that project so it had not been an issue at the time.

Mike

What car are you considering putting these on because across the A-Body line, there are different wheel well sizes. When converting to LBP, the track width can change and become wider depending on how you do it. Going to the 73- up discs will widen the front track. Early b-body or A body 8-3/4 rears with bigger B and C Body brakes will make the rear track wider. These will sometimes require more positive offset (i.e. more backspacing) wheels. Cars like Dusters and Barracudas can get away with less offset in the rear, but not he 67-69 Darts. I needed a 17x8 with 5.25" BS to fit centered in the wheel well of my 69' with an a body 8-3/4 with C body drums and a 17x7 with 4.75 BS 73 and newer discs in the front.

Hi Dano,

The car is a 71 Swinger.
I will be installing an 8 3/4 A body rear. I would like to put dics on it but will have to wait and see how my budget goes. I will not be buying rims until the front is converted to disc and not until I have the BBP axles installed in the rear.

Thanks for enlightening me on the variables in width with the different sizes and swapping out to the 73 up front end. I had done this swap on a 67 dart I used to drive, but was only running 15 inch rallyes on that project so it had not been an issue at the time.

Mike

Hey Mike, not a problem. The 70-up darts have a little more room than the 67-69's. I learned this all the hard way, so I try to help those not make the same mistake of buying something that will not fit and take a loss in doing so. Good luck!

Sorry my eyes are getting old....

Year One sells both versions...

Looks like the ones on the blue Duster are found on the Wheel Vintiques page.

It doesn't say who makes the Year One Rallye Wheels.

Both look nice to me...but too big/not enough rubber showing for my taste.

Paul

Those aren't the same style rims as the Year One Rallye's. I forget who made them, but they aren't as true to the original style as the Year One's.

I am kinda in a bind.

I didn't realize that when I converted over to front disk brakes on my '75 Duster, I now had to use a rim that had LBP.

If I am going to be forced to buy new rims, it would be a bit silly to buy 14s since the tire selection isn't great and now getting more expensive.

So i need to go to a salvage yard and look for a set of rims off a late model 300... does that mean 2000 and beyond ? ..and get a set of 17*7 rims..what would the wheel hole numbers be ?

And with the 17s, there is no rubbing ?

On the rear I have to run adapters.

Am I better off with a 16 ?

Thanks
Ian.

The wife isn't going to be happy with this development.. :(

Would this bolt pattern fit ?

17 inch MULTI-FIT black steel rim
5 x 114.3 bolt pattern.

Thanks
ian.

Would this bolt pattern fit ?

17 inch MULTI-FIT black steel rim
5 x 114.3 bolt pattern.

Thanks
ian.

Yes, 5x114.3mm is 5x4.5"

FYI the 2005 and up 300, Charger, Magnum, Challenger is 5x115. People have made them fit, and made 5x114.3 fit on those cars, but....

I don;t know what 2004 and below is for 300's, etc.

The New Dart BTW is 5x110......

Oddly enough, I remembered that I had a set of 17 inch rims from a '07 gt and the bolt pattern fits perfectly. Just need to do something about that center cap.

I appreciate your response Dano.

ian.

-
Back