yearone rally wheels on an abody

-

Spanishgold76

Reaction score
hi i am relatively new to this forum and this is my first post
the question I'm asking is can anybody help me with how to tuck the wheels on my duster into the wheel well to prevent rubbing the fender lip when lowering the front end the pictures that are attached show the various heights I've tried the first where id prefer it the sec on shows a better view and the third shows the current height ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

:newb:

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,812
  • Photo0496.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,344
There isn't much you can do to tuck the wheels further in, other than get wheels with more backspace. When you ordered these wheels, what was the listed backspacing? You might want to tell us the size of the wheels, too.

Sweet ride. Not too much you can do without adjusting the backspace. I guess the most economical approach would be to sell those wheels and tires to someone that needs that back spacing and purchase a set with correct backspace for your car.

Not as economical but there are places that will cut the steel outer rim from the wheel center and put weld them back to whatever backspace you may desire. With this option I believe you have to purchase new steel outer rims. Once this is done I don't think your trim rings will fit. Rolling the fender lips is another option, perhaps cheaper.

Those wheels look real nice.

At a second glance I see that those are aluminum wheels. That limits your options a bit.

thank you for the helpful suggestions it looks like rolling the lips is gonna be the best thing i can do as year one only makes the two sizes (17x8 with 4.25 backspacing and 17x9 with 5 backspacing) but i am open to any other suggestions

Yeah those have the wrong bs for A-bodies, they are intended for B and E's.
You can:
1. Run some negative camber, like -1* or less
2. Roll the lips
3. Machine the the wheels mating surface down to achieve more bs.
4. All of the above.

Where does it exactly rub?

How much does it rub? (how much additional clearance needed).

There are some tricks to get pick up some room in certain areas.

You could swap out your K frame for a older style, since 73'+ set the wheels out closer to the fender.

....is there any tutorial on how to roll the fender lips on this board ?..or elseware ?

Thanks

You could swap out your K frame for a older style, since 73'+ set the wheels out closer to the fender.

This is incorrect as has already been pointed out. The BBP disk brakes are wider than the SBP disc brakes on the 72 and older cars, that's the only thing I know of that widen the front track width. Ever notice cars with the BBP disc swaps tires always stick out wider? Looks goofy in my opinion..

i didnt think about fiddling with the camber that is a really good idea next time i have access to and alignment machine at schoolil try this. i only need about a 1/2an inch and i will deffinatly try this to fix it this because my dad want to avoid roling the fenders

-1 degree is nothing. Some guys even run -2 without blinking an eye. Plus the car will give a better feel in the wheel.

i didnt think about fiddling with the camber that is a really good idea next time i have access to and alignment machine at schoolil try this. i only need about a 1/2an inch and i will deffinatly try this to fix it this because my dad want to avoid roling the fenders

That's a pretty BAD way to gain clearance, if you need to lay the top of the tire in 1/2 inch to not rub, your going to have excessive negative camber, and it will be a good way to wear your tires uneven. I would get the correct offset wheels and call it done.

Great looking car! I am very partial to low cars, so this is kind of out of character for me, but maybe you don't need to lower the front, maybe spacing the rears ot to match the fronts would give a similar look to what you are going for. You could try spacers and see if you like it, then maybe a b body rear swap if you do.

Where specifically is it rubbing? Need to know exactly where you need the 1/2".

There is a brace and the top of the wheel lip and another on the bottom front wheel lip/fender bottom. I can show you how to gain about 1/2" in each place.

....is there any tutorial on how to roll the fender lips on this board ?..or elseware ?

Thanks

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7878666

I had to bend the front bottom corner of the fender lip for more room.

But on a car that doesn't have a lower valence (67-69 Dart, 73-up Dart) The front fender dog leg is stabilized by a rod. You can move the hole on the bottom of the fender foward; drilling new hole. That results in the bottom fender edge being pushed out, getting you more clearance.

Try this in advance with the slot adjustments, than clamp the stabilizer rod to the bottom fender edge where you want to drill the new hole. See if that looks OK to you. It will flare out the fender dog leg. Look at it standing up like you were walking by the car. Might leave the car for 1/2 day then come back and get a fresh look at it. Most people don't ever notice.

This is on my 68 Dart. I fit 245/60/15 tires with 15x6.5 factory ralley rims.

Attachments

• 68DartFtFenderModSm.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 764
  • 68DartFtTireClearanceSm.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 757
-1 degree is nothing. Some guys even run -2 without blinking an eye. Plus the car will give a better feel in the wheel.

I run my Challenger at -.9* camber. In my own experience once you get past -1* on the street you tend to start having uneven tire wear. But up to -1* is no problem at all, and will buy you quite a bit of room.

The real problem here though is that on a 17x8" rim on an A body you need more like 5" of backspacing. 4.25" just isn't enough backspace on an 8" rim on an A body up front. Those rims fit B/E bodies well, but not A-bodies.

Great looking car! I am very partial to low cars, so this is kind of out of character for me, but maybe you don't need to lower the front, maybe spacing the rears ot to match the fronts would give a similar look to what you are going for. You could try spacers and see if you like it, then maybe a b body rear swap if you do.
Should've ran the 17x9's in the rear for that reason. It would've looked perfect.

Should've ran the 17x9's in the rear for that reason. It would've looked perfect.

trust me I'm kicking my self in the but for not getting the 17x9 nines in the rear but it was slightly cheaper to buy the set based on the budget i had and for the summer they were on the car i had a lot of people confused and wondering what year they put them on at the factory but I'm happy with them.

That's what I did, adjusted the camber up and it was much better.

-
Back