Yet another brake swap question...

-

MPH426

Reaction score
Sorry if this is redundant... again.

I recently acquired a '67 Dart GT. It's got drums all 'round. I'm looking into swapping out the front drums for disks. I'll get to the backs as cash flow allows. That said, I've been thru the forum, seen a lot of posts (Very helpful as to how it's done), but there's also varying info. I've been looking on ebay, rockauto, summit, carid, wildwood, classic auto industries and other sites and see many different kits. They very greatly as to what is included.

The brake system on my car is bone stock. The car itself although not pristine is very solid. The brake lines look almost new I.E. none of the brake lines show any visible corrosion, over 90% of the lines are still painted. I will probably replace the rear brake lines during the front swap, just to be sure.

My question is... Is there a kit that includes everything necessary to do the job right?

What I'm looking for is a dual piston disk setup for the front. Requirements: Everything that needs to be swapped out.

Thank You in advance,
MPH426

Are you looking to stay with the5x4" bolt circle, or change to the 5x4.5" BC? Dual piston rules out anything factory, early KH were 4 piston, '73 and later A body was single piston. That rules out any factory based offerings, ie most of Dr. Diff, Pirate Jack's, Mancini's, SSBC, Scarebird, etc. Who's left? Wilwood, Baer, Hurst/Aerhardt (are they even around any more?), Strange... Check their sites and limber up that Gold Card...

Put Wilwoods on my '70 duster bought everything including the Mopar Aluminum master cylinder and proportional valve from Summit nice an easy,no need to change upper control arms or anything else like all the other kits:thumbsup::thumbsup:..

Are you looking to stay with the5x4" bolt circle, or change to the 5x4.5" BC? Dual piston rules out anything factory, early KH were 4 piston, '73 and later A body was single piston. That rules out any factory based offerings, ie most of Dr. Diff, Pirate Jack's, Mancini's, SSBC, Scarebird, etc. Who's left? Wilwood, Baer, Hurst/Aerhardt (are they even around any more?), Strange... Check their sites and limber up that Gold Card...

Mancini's in Roseville MI?
:welcome: aboard!

What is your budget?

Contact Cass at DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components
@DoctorDiff

Buget roughly 1K

I'm looking to stay stock. Mancini's in Clinton TWP? Only a couple of miles from home. :D Thanks!

OE 67...
Kelsey Hays 4 piston. 5x4 SBP wheels
  1. Disk brake spindles
  2. Caliper mounting brkt
  3. Hub and rotor
  4. Calipers
  5. Master cyl
  6. Proportioning valve
  7. Distribution block
  8. Misc tubbing.

70 something up single piston BBP 5x4.5
  1. Upper controls arm
  2. Disc brake spindles
  3. Caliper mounting brkt
  4. Hub and rotor
  5. Calipers
  6. Master cyl
  7. Proportioning valve
  8. Distribution block
  9. Misc tubbing and hoses
Start a wanted ad

Last edited:
Depending on the neighborhood junkyards - The F,M,J body disc setups with the controversial 3/8" taller spindle. Any Aspen/Volarie, Diplomat/St Regis, Gran Fury, Mirada, etc,etc. It's more labor intensive - time in the yard hammering on a pickle fork(s) on 40+ yr old joints after pulling kotter pins and the nuts. Figure the rotors are rusted and the calipers need rebuilt at best. Still might work out cheaper.

Dana67Dart, Thank you for the breakdown / parts list! I checked out that post yesterday. Excellent job, great pics, very helpful!! Thanks!
Demonic, First... Nice ride! one of my favorites! The cars in pretty good shape, I just sold my '09 Challenger R/T. After paying off the Dart, I've got a little cash left. I'm gonna do it up proper. LOL

It's a former drag car, the time slips I saw were last years and in the 12.5 range. I can't believe it didn't have at least front disks!
Dart-front-drum.jpg

After looking around, it looks like I'm gonna go with the 5x4.5 setup, 4" bolt patterns aren't too common anymore. LOL I was already planning on new wheels and tires. The slicks on the back are down to the cords and the 10" width makes the back end sit pretty high , the front tires are pie cutters, I'd like to beef them up a little bit. I would like to get it sitting a bit lower. IMHO, it's just a bit neater look.

Any thoughts?
11.50's here.
In the process of changing to discs as we speak.
Nice! Let us know what setup you go with.

This is how I'd like it to sit. My GTX I had back in the '80's... Ahh divorce can be cruel. :( LOL Funny thing is, the dart has the same hood and is the same color! Just about 1K lighter.:rofl:
GTX.jpg

After looking around, it looks like I'm gonna go with the 5x4.5 setup, 4" bolt patterns aren't too common anymore. LOL I was already planning on new wheels and tires. The slicks on the back are down to the cords and the 10" width makes the back end sit pretty high , the front tires are pie cutters, I'd like to beef them up a little bit. I would like to get it sitting a bit lower. IMHO, it's just a bit neater look.

Any thoughts?

Nice! Let us know what setup you go with.
Factory set up. It was new.
The guy I got it from said it was for a 73 Dart but now I'm not sure since I've seen that the caliper should be in the front. The LCAs were used. I sandblasted them and welded the box plates on. I was surprised to see how much slop they took out of the T-bar pivot. T-bars are PST 1.03". Worst part was cutting the UCA bushings out with a sawzall. After 52 years the cam bolts were seized to the bushing inner sleeves.

Factory set up. It was new.
The guy I got it from said it was for a 73 Dart but now I'm not sure since I've seen that the caliper should be in the front. The LCAs were used. I sandblasted them and welded the box plates on. I was surprised to see how much slop they took out of the T-bar pivot. T-bars are PST 1.03". Worst part was cutting the UCA bushings out with a sawzall. After 52 years the cam bolts were seized to the bushing inner sleeves.
The factory mounted the calipers in the front, but they can be switched side to side so the caliper mounts to the rear. Guys do it all the time to help with sway bar clearance- it doesn't affect the geometry at all.

The factory mounted the calipers in the front, but they can be switched side to side so the caliper mounts to the rear. Guys do it all the time to help with sway bar clearance- it doesn't affect the geometry at all.
I'm not concerned. It was engineered by people smarter than me. They're staying on the back.

I'm not concerned. It was engineered by people smarter than me. They're staying on the back.

And another thing..............
The strut rod washers are going back on the way the factory put them on. Cup in.

It's a former drag car, the time slips I saw were last years and in the 12.5 range. I can't believe it didn't have at least front disks!

Been 11.0's with front drums have since switched to Wilwood disc doing so took 35 pounds off the front-end:D:D

-
Back