Yet another cam recommedation thread...

-

73Scamp318

Reaction score
I've torn the engine I got with the Duster down to the short block and don't want to roll the dice on the mystery cam that's in there, so I'm looking for some suggestions for a cam.

The combo is a little odd, but gearing may change down the road...

74 Duster, probably will be around 3200 with driver
360 .060 over
Speed Pro H116CP60 pistons about .005 below the deck
stock stroke, should be right at 10:1
OOTB Edelbrock RPM 60779 heads
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Holley 750 DP or Vac Sec, I have both
it'll have cheapie 1 5/8" Hedman headers (that's what I already have)
2.5" pipes, Hooker Aerochamber mufflers
TF 727
9.5" PTC converter (brake stalls at 3500 behind my warmed over, low-13s 318 )
8.75 with 3.23 sure grip, tire size undecided yet

I'm looking for mid-12s out of it, but I realize it may not happen with those gears. It needs to run on pump 93 and I'd like to have some lope, but I don't want to over-cam it.

Lunati suggested their Voodoo 60403 268/276-.494/.513 and I had someone suggest the Mopar 292-.508 cam. I'm leaning towards a bigger cam because of the converter, but I'd like to get some input.

That Mopar cam is hard to beat. The Voodoo is a split pattern. Since you have headers, I believe that the Mopar cam will make more power. Especially since it is the larger of the two cams. Either of those cams will need more than a 3.23 gear though.

i run a comp 274 extreme its a 274/286 dur 1800-6000 rpm. i run mid 8s spinning wih drag radials leaving the line at 1000 rpm. if that helps the cam pulls real good i juat needed a stall

That 360 build you have is very similar to there create engine. Use the Purple 292/.509 cam and 4.10 gears w/ a 27 inch tire. You won't be overcamed. I'd run the DP and learn when the engine likes to have the secondaries opened up.
Tune the chassis to run and a few pounds in a diet will be a good move.

The create engines are known to run low 12's in street trimed cars.

If you have or can borrow a degree wheel and a dial indicator you can measure the cam for yourself to see what it really is. Or, you could pull it out and look on the back of the cam for some numbers. Browse some cam company web sites and search for those numbers. If there are no numbers than just measure it.

I dug out the dial indicator, but couldn't find the degree wheel, so all I have are lift figures. I haven't had an opportunity to pull it down further yet.

The intake shows .320 at the lobe and the exhaust .338. I figured that to be about .480 and .507 at the valve with 1.5 rockers.

I should probably mention that I'll be using the 1.6 hughes rockers I picked up for my old 318.

I also got a response from Comp recommending their XE284 cam, so the cam manufacturer recommendations are all over the place for this thing.

Sounds like a good cm to start in with.

Tyhe problem with getting a recomendation from a cam manufacturer is that there people toooo and have there opinions on what there thining and what your wanting.

Thats why there so much bologna here with opinions.

Did you down load Comp, Cams cam program? LOL, it'll probably only add to the confusion.

You need new gears and what size gears are you gonna use????

The gears are the key to how a cam works in a combination.

It's putting the cart before the horse by choosing a cam first.
You want to go mid 12's so you have to get the cam right.

I think crane series racing cams are nice.

This might work for you.
It's a cool cam.
It will give you a choppy idle but in no way is it too big of a cam.Crane Cams 690221 - Crane Racing Camshafts

large image Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.

• $253.95

• Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 304/304, Lift .504/.504, Mopar, Small Block, Each
  • sys_02_mini_info_blue.gif
  • Estimated Ship Date: 4/25/2011
  • Email this page

Brand
Crane CamsManufacturer's Part Number
690221Part Type
CamshaftsProduct Line
Crane Racing CamshaftsSummit Racing Part Number
CRN-690221UPC

Cam Style
Hydraulic flat tappetBasic Operating RPM Range
3,200-6,400Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift
232Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift
232Duration at 050 inch Lift
232 int./232 exh.Advertised Intake Duration
304Advertised Exhaust Duration
304Advertised Duration
304 int./304 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.504 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.504 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.504 int./0.504 exh.Lobe Separation (degrees)
106Computer-Controlled Compatible
NoGrind Number
H-232/3360-6Valve Springs Required
YesQuantity
Sold individually.
These racing camshafts from Crane are designed to provide the torque and power you need in the high rpm ranges. These cams are available for a variety of applications in mechanical, hydraulic roller, and flat tappet styles to suit your needs.
Warranty

I got everything pulled down the rest of the way today and popped the cam out. The stamping on the back reads EDEL 7177, so it looks like it's the Edelbrock Perf RPM cam.

Here's the specs:
ENGINE: CHRYSLER 318-340-360 V8
RPM RANGE: 1500-6500

Duration at 0.006" Lift:
Intake: 308° Exhaust: 318°

Duration at 0.050" Lift:
Intake: 234° Exhaust: 244°

Lift at Cam:
Intake: 0.325" Exhaust: 0.340"

Lift at Valve:
Intake: 0.488" Exhaust: 0.510"

Timing at 0.050" lift:
Open Close
Intake: 10° BTDC 44° ABDC
Exhaust: 59° BBDC 5° ATDC

Centerlines:
Lobe Separation - 112°
Intake Centerline - 107°

I'm giving serious consideration to just throwing it back in and running it and although it's probably going to be a bit much for the current combination, it's not costing me anything to put it back in.

The plan for the rear gears is to replace the 3.23s with 4.10s as soon as I can scrounge up the money, but it may not happen this year.

Just use the cam you have like you said ---- BUT make sure you have the lifters in the same bores that you took them out of.

If you messed up the order then buy new lifters.
When lifters break in to the cam they are ment to stay with the lobe they where broken in to.
If you run them you run the risk of ruining the cams lobes.

Summit has the best and cheapest lifters for the money.
I think they are the same lifters that i have but i bought mine threw paw.
They are made by Johnson I believe.

Summit Racing SUM-HT2011 - Summit Racing® Hydraulic Lifters

large image

• $3.00
  • layer_info_bluclose.gif

• + Wish List
  • + compare

• Lifter, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, AMC/Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, Each
  • sys_02_mini_info_blue.gif
  • Estimated Ship Date: 3/28/2011
  • Email this page

Brand
Summit RacingManufacturer's Part Number
SUM-HT2011Part Type
LiftersProduct Line
Summit Racing® Hydraulic LiftersSummit Racing Part Number
SUM-HT2011

Lifter Style
Hydraulic flat tappetLifter Link Bars Included
NoLink Bar
NoneLifter Outside Diameter (in)
0.904 in.Lifter Offset
NoneQuantity
Sold individually.
Summit® hydraulic lifters are designed with two things in mind: High quality and affordability. We think you'll be happy with the results. These lifters have a lengthened plunger, designed for less wear and to provide precise oil control through 6,000 rpm.
Warranty

-
Back