Yoke spline count??

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I've seen 10 spline and 29 spline pinion gears advertised for the 489 case and I don't know which one I have.

Does anybody know how to tell what spine yoke you have without first disassembling the rear? It's the narrow yoke if that makes a difference.

I'd like to order new gears for my 489 unit and have them ready to install as soon as I yank out the 3rd member so I don't have the thing apart taking up bench space a week waiting on gears to get here.

Thanks, Tracy

small yoke is 7260 style i think the large one is 7290
i seem to remember the nut size on the yoke is the key
to he spline count..it was in a post reply by Dr diff
and if you rebuild a 489 case, get the solid spacer($30)
to put in place of the collapseable crush spacer

I've seen 10 spline and 29 spline pinion gears advertised for the 489 case and I don't know which one I have.

Does anybody know how to tell what spine yoke you have without first disassembling the rear? It's the narrow yoke if that makes a difference.

I'd like to order new gears for my 489 unit and have them ready to install as soon as I yank out the 3rd member so I don't have the thing apart taking up bench space a week waiting on gears to get here.

Thanks, Tracy

Hey Fishy, if the pinion nut uses a 1 1/8 socket it's 10 spline, if it's a 1 1/4 or 1 5/16 socket then it's a 29 spline.

terry

-
Back