young gun engine build help

-

74demon

Reaction score
hey my name is jim im 21 and im trying to build my 74 dart sport so far i know what color and what i want it to look like im cloning it to look like a 72 demon but thing is i want something with lot *** and on pump gas i have a 440 that i want to stroke out and bump up compression and go with aluminum heads but i want to run in the 10's in a 1/4 ... i saw in the mopar muscle mag. January 2009 page 52-54 went 10.56 on pump gas and wight of 3850 im gonna be lighter then that but unsure on a solid build that will get me there can some of you umm older fellas help me out thanks jim

hey my name is jim im 21 and im trying to build my 74 dart sport so far i know what color and what i want it to look like im cloning it to look like a 72 demon but thing is i want something with lot *** and on pump gas i have a 440 that i want to stroke out and bump up compression and go with aluminum heads but i want to run in the 10's in a 1/4 ... i saw in the mopar muscle mag. January 2009 page 52-54 went 10.56 on pump gas and wight of 3850 im gonna be lighter then that but unsure on a solid build that will get me there can some of you umm older fellas help me out thanks jim

Welcome to FABO Jim, You've got quite the menu there, to go mid 10's even with a stroked 440 is going to cost some mulla. Keep in mind that it's not just the engine it's also the tranny, rearend, subframe mods, cooling ups, suspension, brakes, and probably most important traction upgrades otherwise you'll just melt em down. Lets start with how much you plan on spending and what does your dart allready have along the lines of the aformentioned requirements (God I always wanted to say that, makes me sound important).

Terry:toothy10::toothy10:

LOL @ Terry.

A bud of mine here has a Dart, '69, w/a 500. It's topped with Indy heads. I don't remember which ones and a single plane intake with a Dom carb up top. He has run a 9.90 @ 137.

He has a pretty good sixed roller cam in there.

Welcome to the club Jim Cheap alumin heads $2057 Stroker kit $1900 thats just a start .

A stock rebuilt 440 w aftermaket intake and carb will run 7.0s in the 1/8

GOOD luck and keep us posted I am in the middle of building a stroker for my Duster look for the post I have started for info they might answer your questions

1. Get thy hands upon an NHRA Rulebook and heed what it does say. There are quite a few chasis and safety modifications required by the time you get into the 10's.

2. Doest thou intend to drive this on the street? You mentioned pump gas.

3. Ist thou made of money? You can run 13's with a 360 for not a lot of money and have lot's of fun doing it. (If you want to go real quick for cheap, build a snowmobile for Pro Bike.)

money is not to much of a big deal i still live wit mom and dad and i have already torn the car down to nothing its sitting in my mom dads drive way on jack stands im gonna do it right and i know what i want just need good info to get there is no time limit so im not in rush but im gonna be geting in to the engine first of the year i know im going 4 speed and danna rear ..just hopeing you older guys can help me out lol not to many guys my age are in to the old school cars and my dad he knows a lil bit he has a fully restored 73 charger se with a 440 in it but when i told him what i wanted to to he told me straight out your getting in to technical stuff here we can do a engine build but idk if you will get the times you asking for so i figured id ask some of you guys since i see lot of drag racers here ...o and car will be driving on street even if i only get 4mpg

Okey Dokey, sounds like you're serious Jim, I'd keep bumping this thread over the next week cuss there are a lot of guys that could help but maybe away for the holidays. The only advise I could give is instead of the 4 speed go auto with trans brake, reverse valve body and at least 4000 stall converter with 4.55 gears. Most of my help would be 3rd party cuss I've never built a 9-10 sec. car, Good Luck.

Terry

im deffinetely sticking with 4 speed all my cars in the past have always bin 4 speed im pretty quick with it some where on my buddy you tube he has me shifting his mustang 5.0 i power shift never take my foot off the gas and shift light barely comes on .......i use to race 4cyl cars i had a 12.2 neon on nos soo yeah lol

I'd start off by talking to Bobby at BJR Racing for the stroker, he's a member here and you can search BJR and send him a PM.

Terry

1. Get thy hands upon an NHRA Rulebook and heed what it does say. There are quite a few chasis and safety modifications required by the time you get into the 10's.

1. Listen to C130, those rules are there to save your "rearend" so to speak....:read2: Plus, you'll get kicked right off the strip if those rules are not abided by.

2. How much time percentage wise will you be on the street or strip? 90% street/10% strip? 90% strip/10% street?

Power and how it is delivered makes a huge impact on streetablity. Big cubes are the way to go for a consistent combination of both street manners and strip domination.

car is gonna be a mix mostly driven around town shouldnt see much of any type of high way but will be driven once or twice a year from baltimore to ocean city Maryland thats 100 miles there and 100 miles back trailer is not a option at all for this car except track day i believe if you dont brake you didt give the car all its got (yes its nice live at home with mom and dad still) but i will deffenitly check in to them guys so far i know i want 500cubes or more solid roller cam Indy heads 4 speed danna just unsure on what cubes , head cc with cam and compression and to do it on pump gas lol i mean if that one guy went 10.5 at 3800lbs on pump wit stroke and flat top pistons i think i could do better if i get my car down around 2500-3000 good street car and track

You've obviously got some background in racing, which is cool. The support of your family is even better. IMO, you're kinda going backwards tho. You need a place for that engine to sit... So don't bother with a motor yet. Running 10s means at minimum of a 10pt cage, and running a stick, IMO you should be replacing the rear suspension. You'll need a dana 60, plus the fuel system, plus the electrical system. The factory stuff won't work for the intended times. If the car is rust free, have the frame reinforced and the cage installed, I would remove the inner wells and run bars out to the front of tha frame rails. I'd mini-tub the rear and run the splayed 4 link setup. It's lighter and more tunable than leaf spring based setups and you need to buy everything new anyway. You'll need the rear axle on hand to set up the suspension. So I'd order the Dana first. Once the chassis work is done, get the car painted. Then you can start thinking about the fuel and electrical systems because you'll have to design in what you need for additional circuits and larger wires for the battery relocation and fans/pumps/etc. Then there's the safety equipment you'll need. Seat belts, shut off switch, SFI approved flywheel and blowshield, and balancer. Then theres the brakes... you can order your reear with brakes or none. For a car capable of the speeds and performance you're talking, I would be looking more at disc in the rear, plus the largest factory discs in the front, and obviously no power assist. Once the rest of the car is thought out and mostly done, then you can sweat the engine. You wont have a street car capable of 10s, with a big block, at 3000lbs. With the cage and chassis stuff, plus the additional stuff, if you can get it lighter than 3300 without you in it, I'd be very impressed. BTW, as a street drivien car, don't use fiberglass doors. You cant do anything about the person that hits you, and glass doors will be really bad even with good door bars as part of the cage.

with my car completely torn down no stock stuff will be on it the car will look stock but far from it i knew since day one i wanted disk all around no matter what build and a cage also this car mostly will see lot more street time then track time and i wont ever use fiberglass doors on street car lost a buddy that way try tell him but to hard headed ... but thanks for the info you helped

-
Back