Young Gun's 72 Swinger

-

48james

Reaction score
Okay so about two years ago I was searching Craigslist for my first car (15 yo) and found the one. Being involved with restoring my dad and I's 1948 Chevy I wasn't that much of a newbie into cars but knew I'd have a lot to learn (among which that I will have to pay fro mopar parts, when I can find them!).
Fast forward to picking it up I was starting to realize how much of a project this thing was. Long story short there was many many surprises found and at the current point I have put in new trunk drop offs, floor boards, rockers, made most of the engine bay and completely recreated the inner quarters and mini tubbed the car!
The quarters were riveted on right on a body line so I am currently welding them on solid. Hopefully looking forward over this Christmas break to undercoating the bottom and floors and getting ready to start puttying. I am a high school student and I am hoping to show up again at the school car show again to win best in show as I took it last year with no glass and mostly bare metal and came away with worst in show, but I did win many prizes including my favorite, loudest exhaust!:finga::prayer:
Enjoy the pics guys and remember I started when i was 15 and am now about to turn 18,and sorry about the pics being out of order

Attachments

• Old Computer Pictures 817.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 904
  • To be sorted 101.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 890
  • Old Computer Pictures 1165.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 921
  • To be sorted 001.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 888
  • Old Computer Pictures 1180.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 894
  • Old Computer Pictures 813.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 894
Here's some more

Attachments

• image1(2).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 846
  • image3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 853
  • image2 (2).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 869
  • image2 (3).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 841
  • image1 (2).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 833
  • image1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 874
  • image2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 844
Okay so these last few days I've been working on trimming the extra strips from the mini tubs and welding up the quarters.
Many years ago there must have been an accident as the car is pushed in at many sides, and the rocker was covered in putty and both quarters got a skin riveted over top. I couldn't deal with this so I drilled them out and went to butt weld the quarter back on. Taking some advice from a body man, I put a metal strap the length of the quarter inside the trunk and this has helped me so much. I've really been taking my time welding and there are practically no waves in the drivers quarter!

Attachments

• image1(3).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 734
I need help on this:

I mini tubbed the car and want to take full advantage with moving the springs inboard but it seems with my 2 1/2" jegs exhaust kit and stock gas tank that there is no room for this work:wack:. The exhaust comes up over the rear and runs straight with the frame and I can move it some but if I did I do not think I could keep that gas tank? Any input and pictures would be appreciatd

Whats your goals for the car? I understand mini tubbing it as that body style has smaller wheel wells, and since the 1/4 has to be redone but most run dumps at the axle or no exhaust with the 3" relocation kit - you could have a couple "S" bends made to go through the leafs and out the back

I am going with the offset hangers and shackles as I want to run 3" tail pipes and stock tips w/ a 275/60 drag radial, maybe you should look into that setup?
Made by Mopar Performance and moves leafs inboard 3/4" in front and not sure how much in rear - with the outer lip rolled should be able to fit a decent tire in there..

Nice work! I'm going to be 30 in Feb. and wish I could do body work! haha

I cannot do the offset kit, I have looked into it but this is a budget build and I will be making the kit myself! Have all the metal, and I do think that I could get the exhaust to work. Just have to do one step at a time instead of worrying

My goal for the car is to have a fun car that looks badass, and that I can upgrade as I get money. Moving in the leafs and mini tubs so that I can put in an 8 3/4, putting in a shift kit later and so on. From day one I was planning to be Hemi Orange even though now I am open to white or blue. Early on I also planned torque thrusts but I have already redone my brake system with new Kelsey Hayes calipers and only have practically three wheel options..

I cannot do the offset kit, I have looked into it but this is a budget build and I will be making the kit myself! Have all the metal, and I do think that I could get the exhaust to work. Just have to do one step at a time instead of worrying

My goal for the car is to have a fun car that looks badass, and that I can upgrade as I get money. Moving in the leafs and mini tubs so that I can put in an 8 3/4, putting in a shift kit later and so on. From day one I was planning to be Hemi Orange even though now I am open to white or blue. Early on I also planned torque thrusts but I have already redone my brake system with new Kelsey Hayes calipers and only have practically three wheel options..
I see if you have the metal to make it I'd go that route too, I do not have that option right now so I went the offset route (plus my car has big wheel wells and I only need to roll the outer lip to fit a 275/60 drag radial)

I had a Plum Crazy 70 340 Dart so I'm tilted towards that color for my Demon LOL - a close second was B5 Blue which I think your car would look great in...

There's more than 3 SBP wheels out there - Rallye's in 14" and 15", Ansen slots in 14" and 15", Cragar S/S mags in 14" and 15", 14" and 15" Mopar style steel wheels, Centerline Convo Pro's and regular Centerline's in 15", and American Racing Outlaws in 14" - plus the many original wheels from the 60's/70's

There is even 17" billet Rallye wheels but I left those out as you said it's a budget build and those are $450 a wheel LOL

Yea I am aware of all the wheels out there, just that there are only three different ones that I like...

Got started on relocating the leafs!:happy1:

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_2152.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 592
Very nice so far man! Glad to see more young people into these old mopar cars.

Nice work, keep it up.
What power plant are you running?
When looking at wheels, go with 16". You have so many more tire choices. If you have a tendency to paint stripes on the road, used ones are available.

Nice work, keep it up.
What power plant are you running?
When looking at wheels, go with 16". You have so many more tire choices. If you have a tendency to paint stripes on the road, used ones are available.

Its a warmed-over 318
And I do think i'll be painting some lines:D

great work!!!! will be a fun car..... wish I had that lift,too!!!! LOL

Yes sir! The lift is great and I'm always using it, but it was a job convincing my dad that I'll have the spring relocation done within a week. He always thinks he needs the lift open but in reality there hasn't been many other cars on it other than mine:wack:

Lookin good pal. I'm just 15 min. Away over here in Calcutta, If you get in a bind for parts get a hold of me, I mi ght be able to help. My 73 is just a little farther along, gonna try to have it rolling by Monday.

Lookin good pal. I'm just 15 min. Away over here in Calcutta, If you get in a bind for parts get a hold of me, I mi ght be able to help. My 73 is just a little farther along, gonna try to have it rolling by Monday.

Thanks man its always a struggle down here! The other day I was trying to get a leaf spring bushing kit and went to the usual Napa, Autozone, and Advanced where the lady actually thought it was a rental tool:wack:. Found it at Calcutta Auto Parts though!
You wouldnt happen to live by the walmart would you?

Okay so I've been really busy lately but here's an update!

Attachments

• IMG_2168 (2).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2449(2).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 470
-
Back