Young Gun's 72 Swinger

-
I figure that rebuilding the wheel house, minitubbing, and relocating the springs I have 100 hrs! Just for a few extra inches lol

But awhile ago I posted about my ideas of going to college for engineering where someone shared a link to McPherson College, fastforward a few days later and I was accepted here for auto restoration with a decent scholarship! I'm going to tour on the 28th (a 20 hr drive) but I'm dying for more info on the entire program and experiences so does anyone have any input on this school? This is for sure what I want to do with my life btw.

congrats on the scholarship
that leaves you with 3 weeks to get the dart on the road to show em what you can do

My son is a Senior at Kettering in Flint. If you are serious about being an engineer this is the place you have to go if you want to work for GM, Ford, Chrysler,etc.
He is a member of a fraternity and every graduate has started at above $60K

My son is a Senior at Kettering in Flint. If you are serious about being an engineer this is the place you have to go if you want to work for GM, Ford, Chrysler,etc.

I'm not sure about the schooling in Michigan, but if you want to get into the auto industry, period, you should be involved in any SAE program (Formula or Mini-Baja). I'm not sure about fraternities, they don't really get a good rap at my school or with industry around here. I was very much involved for over 2 years in the SAE Baja club and worked my way up to being the Drivetrain Captain and Vice President by my last year. The experience and networking you get is priceless. As much as it was hell for me physically and mentally, without it, I wouldn't have gotten all of my internships. In a little over a month, I'll be working with one of the world's largest Aerospace companies designing Rescue Hoists for Helicopters (I've been interning there for a year now).

I actually dont want a job with any car manufacturers. I want to restore them and end up with my own business! I'll be checking out the college the 27th and 28th

I actually dont want a job with any car manufacturers. I want to restore them and end up with my own business! I'll be checking out the college the 27th and 28th

And if that's what you want, go for it!

Okay, I've been away for awhileee so it's time for an update.
First off I committed to McPherson for 2015 and will also be minoring in business. I've been working alot lately, actually got a job at a mustang place lol! They do restorations and stuff but mainly make shelby bodies so I'm definately getting alot of experience for my car
Anyways, the dart is finished with the relocation and is back down on the ground. This weekend it'll be undercoated with a Hurculiner kit I bought today! My parents actually offered for my birthday to buy the rest of primer and paint for this so it's definately light a fire under my ***:blob:

Here's some pics!

Attachments

• 3-27-15 973.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 3-27-15 974.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 337
  • 3-27-15 1066.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 334
  • 3-27-15 1073.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 3-27-15 1075.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 344
Okay so its been forever, but I'm back! I've gotten the undercoating on, and new slots in the mail:blob::blob:
Unfortunately my grandfather passed away, so I thought i'd share some interesting pictures of him and my uncles racing at Quaker City. I had a real attachment with him and interesting enough he was the third, with me being the fifth!

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_4038.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_3975.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 317
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. That's tough. You're doing a great job on the build though!

Okay so i was wondering, lately I've really been wanting to put in a four speed, what other transmissions can mate up to a 318? How much is the conversion by just gathering them all?
My current trans is going to need some seals and an aluminum pan so I was thinking just that money there and I could atlas have the transmission?
Saw an old magazine article where they took an od 833 out of a volare?
I've been going to school up here at McPherson, about to come home for break, and have really changed a lot of my plans to more where its exactly how I want it. Will get a cage in it with subframe connectors and hopefully adding some fiberglass bumpers!Feeling confident that the color is going to be a semi-flat gold!

Wow, nice build !!! Keep it up, looks like mopars run in the family ftom the old pix you showed on your thread.

I was 15 when i got my first mopar that had to be fixed up, that was a long time ago. Very nice progress on your 72 dart. I like the aluminum sprint wheels you are putting on it too. Should be a real looker when done.

Subscribed
Matt

You're doing a great job! Make it yours. Good luck in Kansas. That's a great school for what you plan on doing in your future.

Honestly a 4sp swap is on the expensive side - at least that I've found.. you could save a little money on the trans by getting a aluminum case OD 833 out of a Volare or even a 2wd truck trans would work

Clutch pedal
Complete linkage
Flywheel
Pilot bushing
Clutch/PP
TOB
New bearing retainer for trans
Trans
Bellhousing
Shifter
X member
Mount
Driveshaft or at least a yoke to get welded to your existing shaft

If all your trans needs is a couple seals and a ilter - save the money buy a Transgo shift kit, a cheap converter, and a better rear axle- as the 7.25 is not going to last with either combo (4sp or auto)

I'm running a 727 behind an aluminum head bb383 - all it has is a TransGo shift kit, and a 4.2 band lever - stock pan is still there..

Okay so it's been a very long time and many things have happened. Right now I will fast track it. I premiered the car after lots of metal work and body work over the summer between working and got it all put together and loaded up for a long trailer ride to my school in Kansas. Right across the road theres storage units so that is my temporary garage now, since my dad made the thousand mile trip up here with my car! I scored an awesome deal on a four speed but sold it because the conversion is so much and I needed the money. Cool story about that is that the same person who bought my four speed also gave me a 489 case 3:23 surgery case that someday soon I will combine w my old housing I have been hiding! My current plan is to primer this car one last time (or perhaps use tractor paint) and drive it in the shape it is now because it really needs quarters and rockers. Everything is so solid except those and my cheap repops aren't doing the job how I want so I'll have to wait a couple years to do it how I want but really just want to drive it right now! Plan is to have it on the road after this winter

IMG_7477.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_7375.JPG

My plan is to do the SS look with black front end and grey shell and I was curious if anyones seen this done on a 1970-72 with the quarters uncut?

The last pic is so cool. It would have looked straight out of the late 70s or early 80s in the photo had the modern GM truck not been sitting behind it.

And yeah 4 speed conversions are cool, but tough to round up all the parts to do one. Ask me how i know lol.

When Maco does their $299 paint special have them do it. Can't hardly buy paint for that. Flat black would be cool

Keep the good work up! I have a 72 dart that I bought not much older then you and I am finally fixing it up. Several years later haha

The last pic is so cool. It would have looked straight out of the late 70s or early 80s in the photo had the modern GM truck not been sitting behind it.

And yeah 4 speed conversions are cool, but tough to round up all the parts to do one. Ask me how i know lol.
Exactly what I was going for! And I'm not actually going to paint this with automotive paint. Either with a cheaper primer (since I already have nice coats of epoxy and 2k) or tractor paint (I used it on my engine bay and its still great looking)

You should take another pic of it posed like that in the same location, with the same lighting conditions etc, but no brand x truck behind it. You could almost fool somebody into thinking the pic was taken around 1981

So I've been doing good on the car. Got the fenders block sanded and taken off. I'm going to do the shell now just real quick block since I'm not painting it for awhile, but I have a problem with the trunk hinges. I never took those bars for the trunk out so I have no idea how they go? Also, I was messing around with them and I don't think they will fit anyways since I moved them in with the minitub?

So I've been doing good on the car. Got the fenders block sanded and taken off. I'm going to do the shell now just real quick block since I'm not painting it for awhile, but I have a problem with the trunk hinges. I never took those bars for the trunk out so I have no idea how they go? Also, I was messing around with them and I don't think they will fit anyways since I moved them in with the minitub?

What about some short gas assist struts to hold the decklid open. Maybe others with minitubs can chime in on how they put the torsion springs back in.

-
Back