Youngin Can't Decide

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all you FABO members! Thanks for letting me join the wild side. I'm new to Mopars but not new to cars, my dream car has always been a 1970 Plymouth Superbird, I know it's a B body but it's been my dream and maybe in a couple years. I grew up a gear head always working on my dads old chevy trucks, bronco and ram charger. Then started riding motorcross and ever since then it's all been down hill with gas and oil in my blood!

In the past 7 years I've had 17 cars most Vw's and Audi's and 2 Rubicons. Once I got into dental school, I had to stop working and give up my car addiction until I graduated dental school. Fast forward to today I'm looking at getting an A Body, my wife wants me to wait until after dental school but I'm going crazy without a project car. But my budget isn't full resto A body or B body yet, around 10k is where is was looking to stay.

Currently looking at a Purple 1969 Dart no rust, runs and drives clean but needs some work (don't they all!). Comes with an extra posi rear end, new front end with disc brakes, all new trim, clean interior, clean body, new vinyl top in the trunk and almost a full truck bed of extra parts. Only problem is it's got a restored salvage title, but the current owner doesn't know why. He has owned it since 2011 and I could probably take it home for 9.5k.

The other car is a 1975 Go Mango Orange Dart. This one needs no work, unless I wanted to replace the clean original interior.... Paint is about 6 years old, new front end with disc brakes, new posi rear end, fully rebuilt engine etc etc etc. Guy has owned it since 2012 and lowest I could take it home for would be 10 with stock rear end, I'm thinking around 11.5k posi rear end. It's definitely a nicer car but I LOVE the rear tails of the 69.

Anyways here's some pics. Glad to be here and soon I'll be driving one of these bad boys, working on it with the kiddo's and taking the wife on dates.

69 Dart.jpg

1975 Dart.jpg

Welcome aboard. Just a couple of quick points.

Just an FYI, Mopars have sure grip rear ends. Chevys have a posi. You're gonna get smacked around for that, so lets just nip that in the bud right now. lol

Also, if you want something that originally came "purple" (Mopar calls it Plum Crazy), it's not in 1969. That's a high impact color and didn't come out until the 1970 model year. If originality ain't important ("I" couldn't care less about it) then have at that 69. It's a great body style.

Welcome aboard. Just a couple of quick points.

Just an FYI, Mopars have sure grip rear ends. Chevys have a posi. You're gonna get smacked around for that, so lets just nip that in the bud right now. lol

Also, if you want something that originally came "purple" (Mopar calls it Plum Crazy), it's not in 1969. That's a high impact color and didn't come out until the 1970 model year. If originality ain't important ("I" couldn't care less about it) then have at that 69. It's a great body style.

Haha thanks for the tips!!!! I'm glad I can be schooled so early on, I also highly doubt it will be the last time I get schooled on this forum :)

I know the color Plum Crazy Purple, I was just not going to call that 69 plum crazy because I am not for sure on the color code that is actually on the car ;) Can you explain the difference in sure grip with me please? (that's a real question)

Yea the 69 is a great body style, really the 70+ I love but tail lights on the pre 70 cars are my favorite. No I'm not to concerned with originality. In my budget range I am not going to be getting a full number's matching, 100% original car, in a couple years when I'm a dentist maybe things will be different.

Right now I just want something that looks good, sounds good and can work on with my kids. My son used to live in the garage with me when he was younger ages 3-5, working on the Rubicons. Then ever weekend we would go 4 wheeling, break it and fix it during the week. Those memories will be with me forever and hopefully when he gets older he will remember working on the cars with his dad.

Sure grip is simply the marketing name Chrysler chose for their limited slip differential unit. Posi is Chevy, Trak Lok or Traction Lock is general Ford, although there are aftermarket Traction Locks for other applications. It's all marketing.

Welcome! The 1969 Dart sounds like a better deal to me and I personally really don't like the front ends on the 1975-76 cars lol. It's also nice to have extra parts when you're just getting started in the hobby.

Getting a legit title is kind of a pain and can take a while but it's doable and not super expensive or anything (at least in CO), I went through the process for my cousin's 1971 Plymouth Satellite. I first went to the DMV to find out what I needed to do... had to get the VIN cleared and the car inspected through the State Patrol, then an appraisal by a dealer, then submit it all to the DMV... definitely helps to work with one person at the DMV who can keep track of your situation as you go along. Also having good relations/contact with the person you got the car from and any documentation they can pass along helps a lot.

Sure grip is simply the marketing name Chrysler chose for their limited slip differential unit. Posi is Chevy, Trak Lok or Traction Lock is general Ford, although there are aftermarket Traction Locks for other applications. It's all marketing.

This makes more sense. Kind of like in the Vw/Audi world with 4motion and Quattro. Relatively the same thing just different marketing names.

Welcome! The 1969 Dart sounds like a better deal to me and I personally really don't like the front ends on the 1975-76 cars lol. It's also nice to have extra parts when you're just getting started in the hobby.

Getting a legit title is kind of a pain and can take a while but it's doable and not super expensive or anything (at least in CO), I went through the process for my cousin's 1971 Plymouth Satellite. I first went to the DMV to find out what I needed to do... had to get the VIN cleared and the car inspected through the State Patrol, then an appraisal by a dealer, then submit it all to the DMV... definitely helps to work with one person at the DMV who can keep track of your situation as you go along. Also having good relations/contact with the person you got the car from and any documentation they can pass along helps a lot.

Oh I didn't know you could go through a process and get a salvage title restored to a non-salvage title. That doesn't sound like a hard process, just tedious and time consuming.

Yea the guy with the 69 said when he bought it he was told it was a GT, come to find out it wasn't so he purchased another donor car to replace everything in the 69 to have a "GT Clone" if that is what it would be called. The front end that comes with it is already rebuilt with disc brakes just have to swap it in, the rear end is I believe what he said was an 8 3/4 rear end with sure-grip (he said something about a beefier rear end with posi and I think those were the #'s for the size). The engine is a rebuilt 340, he has a new SS exhaust and headers for it. Literally the list goes on. He will also deliver the car to me as he lives 2 hours away from me. The ability to have extra parts gives me the ability to actually work on it with my kids.

I'm driving out to look at the 69 and take it for a drive tomorrow morning. I'll definitely keep the thread updated with what ever I decide. My wife although she says no to buying one, she also did say that she would not divorce me if I bought one. So that's a good sign

I would go for the 69 also. Look it over real good, underneath, frame rails, lower quarter panels (underneath) and lift the carpet back, if you can.

Welcome, If that 69' looks that good every where else I'd jump on it quick, if the 340 is in good shape you could make it a screamer, I have a 70' 340 Dart and I really like it, and all the hype that goes with it!

Jeff

Currently looking at a Purple 1969 Dart no rust, runs and drives clean but needs some work (don't they all!). Comes with an extra posi rear end, new front end with disc brakes, all new trim, clean interior, clean body, new vinyl top in the trunk and almost a full truck bed of extra parts. Only problem is it's got a restored salvage title, but the current owner doesn't know why. He has owned it since 2011 and I could probably take it home for 9.5k.

i like this one more. in the end it will always worth more then the 75 in the same shape. i'm not seeing a car worth 9k though.. 6-7k max in my opinion and that may be pushing it after i looked at it in person. salvage title kills value for me too..

the other car is a 1975 Go Mango Orange Dart. This one needs no work, unless I wanted to replace the clean original interior.... Paint is about 6 years old, new front end with disc brakes, new posi rear end, fully rebuilt engine etc etc etc. Guy has owned it since 2012 and lowest I could take it home for would be 10 with stock rear end, I'm thinking around 11.5k posi rear end. It's definitely a nicer car but I LOVE the rear tails of the 69.

looks nice but i'd have to pass. its a 75 and i just don't like them very much. they just don't have the look.. 10k is too much for a beak car in my opinion.

i like this one more. in the end it will always worth more then the 75 in the same shape. i'm not seeing a car worth 9k though.. 6-7k max in my opinion and that may be pushing it after i looked at it in person. salvage title kills value for me too..

looks nice but i'd have to pass. its a 75 and i just don't like them very much. they just don't have the look.. 10k is too much for a beak car in my opinion.
I am agreeing with this, around here salvage cars only bring about 25% of the value of clear title cars.
Also since it sounds like this is not a forever car for you, it will hurt you when re-sale time comes.

And Detroit lockers for everything------

Welcome from North Dakota glad to have you here. Witch ever one you deiced on will be be the right choice.

Welcome aboard! 10k ain't chump change so check everything over good. Is the orange one a 75? I cant tell from side pic. The salvage title on 69 would concern me huge and resale would be difficult unless you found another buyer like you. Why hasn't the title issue been resolved? Current owner should have done that already in my opinion.
Good luck!

Welcome to the site, there's lots of great people and info on here.
Another vote here for you to get the '69..........

Yea I'm not a huge fan of the price either or that it has salvage title, but cars in same condition around here are going for much more. These are the 2 that I have found that aren't complete rust buckets for 4-6k

He said 8k without extra rear end, but I figure the rear end would be worth it if I do ever try to get more power out of the car .

Funny story- I used to always bring a spare drive shaft everywheve I went on my 15 Rubicon, 2 on weekends when I went out. The one time I didnt I blew up both my front and rear DS's and it took us 6 hours to get my jeep to the trail head

Welcome aboard! 10k ain't chump change so check everything over good. Is the orange one a 75? I cant tell from side pic. The salvage title on 69 would concern me huge and resale would be difficult unless you found another buyer like you. Why hasn't the title issue been resolved? Current owner should have done that already in my opinion.
Good luck!

Yea rebuilts/restored titlea and resale is not fun. I guess we will see what happens but I don't know if I'll sell this car. I've only regretted selling a couple of my 17 cars, and I've tried to buy them back. I have a big feeling that's what would happen with this car. My wife has always been on board with the house is her domain and I'll build a shop in the back 2x as big as what ever house she gets, she just prefers me to wait until after I graduate. Especially with baby #3 coming in 11 weeks! I tell her this is the babys present she doesn't believe me though.

Last edited:
Hey all you FABO members! Thanks for letting me join the wild side. I'm new to Mopars but not new to cars, my dream car has always been a 1970 Plymouth Superbird, I know it's a B body but it's been my dream and maybe in a couple years. I grew up a gear head always working on my dads old chevy trucks, bronco and ram charger. Then started riding motorcross and ever since then it's all been down hill with gas and oil in my blood!

In the past 7 years I've had 17 cars most Vw's and Audi's and 2 Rubicons. Once I got into dental school, I had to stop working and give up my car addiction until I graduated dental school. Fast forward to today I'm looking at getting an A Body, my wife wants me to wait until after dental school but I'm going crazy without a project car. But my budget isn't full resto A body or B body yet, around 10k is where is was looking to stay.

The other car is a 1975 Go Mango Orange Dart. This one needs no work, unless I wanted to replace the clean original interior.... Paint is about 6 years old, new front end with disc brakes, new posi rear end, fully rebuilt engine etc etc etc. Guy has owned it since 2012 and lowest I could take it home for would be 10 with stock rear end, I'm thinking around 11.5k posi rear end. It's definitely a nicer car but I LOVE the rear tails of the 69.

Anyways here's some pics. Glad to be here and soon I'll be driving one of these bad boys, working on it with the kiddo's and taking the wife on dates.

View attachment 1715359582

View attachment 1715359583
With a 10k budget I’d keep looking. Lot of deals out there if you’re patient.
Here a few you could put your touch on, not too far away if you’re in Vegas.
1967 Dodge Dart
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5700123
1970 Dodge Dart GT Sport Blacktop
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5476104

So I just left after checking out the 69. First it's a very clean car, practically 0 rust, undercarriage is clean, trunk is clean, wheel wells clean, crossrrame is clean, front andarear window nada.

It does have 1 dent behind the driver's side door from a chair falling into the car, but not a deep crease so I'd most likely be able to pop it out, hopefully at least.

The new vinyl top is still in the box, and all the trim to install it is clean and labeled in the trunk. New carpets, headliner is clean with no rips or creases, also has these harness things on it (don't know what they are, kind of like a seat belt oh **** handle). The driver side door card handle is broken but he has a spare. Leather seats have no rips, tears or creasing .

Engine and trans - runs strong, definitely gets moving , didn't hear any knocking, grinding or ticking from it. Shifts smooth, and sounds amazing.

The guy has spare parts for days and I have no where to store any of it. I'd get the spare Holly headers, SS exhaust, front end with disc brakes (would need a booster?), 8 3/4 rear end with sure grip and 3.23 or 3.73 gears can't remember the exact #. Also a 727 tranny. Not being a gt but gt clone it has the floor shifter (shifter and brackets would need welded in but he has them) gt rear clip, rt side rear view mirror.

Anyways here's some pics and video if it lets me post then .

20190706_113919.jpg

20190706_113935.jpg

20190706_105820.jpg

20190706_105249.jpg

20190706_105243.jpg

-
Back