Your tricks for dying different color door panels.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips to keep dye from scratching off door panels after changing colors?

I got a really nice used set of white door panels and dyed them black with the spray on stuff from eastwood.
I just used one coat, maybe shoulda used two coats because the dye seems to scratch off easily with a fingernail or shoe when entering/exiting car.

Is there a clear coat protectant that can be sprayed over the top coats when all is done?

Just a side note: I scrubbed the door panels first with mild detergent and water, then used some good quick evaporating brake kleen and a white terry cloth towel to remove any grease or anything before spraying the dye.

There is a proper prep solvent that leaves the vinyl tacky improves bonding. It is similar to PVC pipe cleaner and I have used that as a substitute on some plastics. Rear interior panels in my car were blue.
Dyed with SEM landau black about 6 years ago. Today the vinyl is shrinking and wrinkled near the floor but the dye is still fine.

I use SEM products adhesion promoter and I always cleaned with lacquer thinner and let dry then stay on adhesion promoter and spay dye on while adhesion promoter is still somewhat wet and I never had seats door panels or dashes peel

-
Back