yup...another new guy

-

pharmboy

Reaction score
Howdy everybody,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the A-Body community. Well, it all started as a result of my job. I'm an engineer in the pharmaceutical business, and as a result, I get to travel...a lot. I was told I had a job starting in February in Portland, OR (I'm from central Indiana), and that it would last a year, maybe 18 months. So, I figured rather than take my truck (01 Dodge Ram SLT) across the rockies in the middle of winter, I'd just buy a car in Portland, and then I'd have some wheels in both places.

So, I went to Craigslist, and happened across a fairly clean-looking 1968 Dart 2 Door post with a slant six for a very reasonable price (sounded like a fun daily driver). There were some negotiations, and I made a down payment to the owner via Paypal. Well, two days before the start date on the project, my boss calls and tells me it's not happening. So, I wind up flying to Portland for one day to pick up the car and put it in storage. After several months, realizing I'd never actually get to Portland, I made arrangements to have it shipped to Indiana, while I was working in Rochester, NY.

It finally arrived, in one piece, and turned out to be very fun to drive...aside from the complete lack of soft parts in the front suspension, the very sticky choke, non-functioning gas gauge and cracked windshield. Well, after having some electrical issues, I had to get it towed to my mechanic, who informed me the electrical problem was a simple matter of unseen corrosion. Also, at the insistance of my family, I told him to take a look at the brakes. A week later, I get a call informing me that the front suspension needed a complete rebuild, and the brakes were also shot.

So, after a few phone calls, Parts were on their way from scarebird and Performance Suspension (Full Polygraphite front end kit, and a disc brake conversion bracket set). Sadly, due to my work travels (I get home roughly once per month), I'm having my mechanic do the work on the front end. I also had to order him a torsion bar tool from Mancini to let him get the bars out to put in all the proper bushings.

With all that said/done, it looks as though the affordable, fun daily driver is becoming quite an investment, but should easily be worth it. At least that's what I keep repeating to myself over and over.

Gary

:worthles:

Here she is, almost rust-free, and that's the factory paint...what's left of it.

Right Side.jpg

Front Low.jpg

Elwood here, 45 min northeast of Indy. couple of regulars here on this site are from your area. great site here!

Welcome aboard Gary! Enjoy the car when and how you can, and try not to worry about the effects on your wallet. You'll get used to it ... just think of it as another vice you can't live without. :-D

When I got it, the interior was in pretty good shape,except an obvious set of later model seatbelts from something Found On the Roadside Dead. I've gotten a set of lap/shoulder belts installed with aircraft style lift buckles, and cleaned things up a bit. Bad news, installing the belts the headliner fought me and it got a few rips. The belts weren't bad at all, $82 shipped for the pair from www.seatbeltpros.com I just wanted to include a picture of the interior, as found, for your amusement. Yes, the front seat came with a snow leopard seat cover. Just for kitsch's sake, I've added a matching seat cover for the rear seat. I think it's just quirky enough to do until I can get the interior makeover I'm planning under way. Thanks for the support and words of wisdom, everyone.

Interior Front.jpg

Money will dwindle away no matter what. At least you have a cool old mopar to show for it. is a paint job next? lol welcome to the always broke club.

I know the feeling about too many projects...I've got more than I can count in various stages of completion getting done when/where they can...but, I traded the conveniences of a 'normal' life for a ticket out of the always broke club for now. Which is why I get to see my car some 2-4 days per month. My mechanic seems to think the car won't be 'complete' unless I find a 340 to drop into it. I think it'd be far easier to turn the 170 it's got in a high-revving little beast of an engine. I have a feeling since I have the title, there's some chance I'll get to do this my way.

Welcome Gary !! We are enjoying your time you have spent here.
Nice 68 dart you have, and sorry I have been slow welcoming you.:clock:

Welcome from another Indiana Mopar fan! Sorry,can't bear to call myself a Hoosier. Originally from NJ and points elsewhere. That's a good looking car there. Have fun with it! Dan

Good to know your backstory Gary. Glad to have you on this forum too. I spent a summer and a winter in Indy. Interned at WTHR 13 up there. Fun station and fun city. Not a big fan of the winter though. My Florida blood doesn't do well in 7° temperatures.

Update...it's still in the shop. The torsion bars still haven't shown up, but it's only been 7 days since they shipped. I'd have appreciated a heads-up about them being on backorder, but as long as they get there very soon, I might not freak out. I did get my linkage kit from Langdon's Stovebolt, and I must say it's pretty nice stuff, even has heim joints for the throttle shaft...

-
Back