Z bar problem

-

70Furyious

i am getting ready to drop a 440 into a 72 swinger with a 4 speed, i am using a direct connection spool K-frame and i am using b-body HP exhaust manifolds.......i have been told that in order to use the b-body manifolds that i have to re-locate the z-bar......can anyone elaborate on that and possibly show a pic or two of what needs done?

Go To Bigblockdart.com They Have What You Need In There Tech Pages, Worked For Me.

it just states that B-body manifolds can be used but require z-bar relocation.......but it does not say how to do it, do i move it up down ??? does this require the clutch rod modification? it does not awnser all the questions......however that is a good site and thank you for providing the link.:prayer:

You don't have to relocate the z-bar, it just makes routing the exhaust easier. If you want to keep the stock location massage the firewall enough to fit a 2.5" pipe between the z-bar and the firewall. The attached pictures are of my sons' cars. The first two are my older son's 383/4sp and the third pic is my younger son's 440/4sp Dart. If you are using a late 60s 440 bell you will want to locate the bar so that a single ball stud can be attached to the bell. It's not so critical with the 383 bell as it has two stud holes.

But, here are the perameters you need to attain or get real close to. The z-bar needs to be perpendicular to the ball studs and the z-bar should be a 1:1 lever with all arms perpendicular to the bar (that doesn't mean that they can't have an offset, but the ataching point needs to be perpendicular to the bar). When you relocate the z-bar rearward, both rods need to be shorter. In this case, you want each rod and arm to be perpendicular at mid-travel. The only other factor is that one end needs to be able to be unbolted and slid out of the way to remove the bar.

BUT, these are guidelines. If, to fit, one arm is a little longer than the other, you'll be fine. Or, if one arm isn't quite perpendicular, you'll also be fine. You just want to get as close to these ideals as you can.

Attachments

• ExhaustL.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 262
  • ExhaustL2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 242
  • P1010892.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 234
thanks so much this is very useful.....i forgot to mention that i do have a Brewers re-pop big block z- bar so it came with a little bracket and i think that puts the the ball stud on the bell housing side in the right place but i am not sure.....and yes the bell housing i am using is a late sixties unit....thanks again

The Brewers kit will put the z-bar in the stock location. If you want it relocated you're going to have to modify it. That's why I always start with a collection of parts and fab it up.

thanks so much this is very useful.....i forgot to mention that i do have a Brewers re-pop big block z- bar so it came with a little bracket and i think that puts the the ball stud on the bell housing side in the right place but i am not sure.....and yes the bell housing i am using is a late sixties unit....thanks again

That Z bar will fit the 70 up 513 alum bellhousing , if you haven't commited to the iron bell it might be easier to deal with .

-
Back