Z head and O head on 1973 340

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 340 4 speed Duster that has a # matching engine and transmission. I would think with a car that still has a matching drivetrain the heads have a good chance of being what came on the car.

The O head has 341891 B (5 is not cast) and the Z has 3418915. The O also has 360 cast into it. However, in 1973 the 340's had 3671587 heads but this doesn't mean the engine couldn't have got some 1972 348915 heads.

From the information I've seen these should be 1.88/1.60 valves. The rockers are 273. Are these heads going to perform amazingly better if I took .040 off the surface and put 2.02" intake valves in? The cam is 224/224 @ .050 and lift is .468. Would there be piston clearance issues by milling the heads? Different head gasket thickness takes care of that, right?

Whew! Lots-O-questions. I’m going to split up the post and answer it the best I can.
I have a 1973 340 4 speed Duster
very cool....

The O head has 341891 B (5 is not cast) and the Z has 3418915. The O also has 360 cast into it. However, in 1973 the 340's had 3671587 heads but this doesn't mean the engine couldn't have got some 1972 348915 heads.
I’ve found a bunch of things depends on the date of the part released and the date the car was built. Fast forward these many years and what is stock and what has been replaced are two different things.

From the information I've seen these should be 1.88/1.60 valves. The rockers are 273.
‘73 should have those valves but not that rocker arm.
Are these heads going to perform amazingly better if I took .040 off the surface and put 2.02" intake valves in?
No. The rise in compression is nice but not really a noticeable thing. The extra valve size is a minor help since the area under the valve hasn’t been addressed or maximize.
The cam is 224/224 @ .050 and lift is .468. Would there be piston clearance issues by milling the heads?
You’ll probably have clearance. What do you have now?
If you don’t know... you might want to measure instead of gamble.
Different head gasket thickness takes care of that, right?
If it is a stock engine with the stock gasket, the gasket will be .028. I have problems finding thinner gaskets. It’ll be a custom order to the tune of about a $100 per gasket from Cometic to get a thinner gasket.
A gain you’ll never see and be hard pressed to see on the Dyno.

Thanks for the reply. I got this car from a guy that was dying from cancer and has passed. He was a big numbers matching guy and I would like to stay away from aluminum heads, headers, and aftermarket intake. I'm committed to keeping the 8 1/4 in it.
Arthur wanted this car to be #'s matching and he was my friend. He got this car to within about 10-15% of completion and I'm going to finish it out.
The engine has been rebuilt or gone through. There's only a few receipts and it hasn't been fired up yet. I'm just thinking about the future. I would like to keep the 340 manifolds, have the heads ported and valves upgraded and find a LD340 intake to keep it in the stock-ish flavor. Also want to put 3.54 or 3.73 gears and a Tru Trac in the 8 1/4. I've always disliked rallye wheels but it came with 14's and I'll be upgrading to 15X7/8's. For Arthur.
Not the car I would build for myself but I'm just finishing it for a guy that wanted a car like it came from the factory. I want it to be like a car that Kowalski's speed shop got from the factory and hopped up. Stock appearing.
I would like to gain some insight on how I can get all the performance I can out of these heads while keeping the 340 manifolds and finding a Day 2 intake manifold (LD4B/LD340?).

Last edited:
At what cost? How thick is your wallet? What concessions are you willing to live with?

Imnot a numbers guy. What I do know is subject to correction. AFAIK, the ‘73 came with 1.88/1.60 J heads and the compression dropped significantly!

Building this engine up like a speed shop got it and then “Enhanced” the package is a wide and varied list of parts to what company did what. Shy of piston replacement, getting the compression up on a low compression engine would require new pistons. Milling the head and then intake to fit is a good cheap route seldom done by way of compare to new pistons. Then the head itself has to be addressed. How far do you want to take it?

The thing is, you could build and build and build this engine by just throwing money at it while it snowballs into a F.A.S.T. engine.

I definitely want to get this Duster completed and runing before considering the engine upgrades but I think a F.A.S.T. type engine build would be awesome. I'm not thinking a stoker due to the stock head limitation but what would be some specs on a F.A.S.T style cam? 68 340 cam?

Last edited:
Didn't they mix and match parts on those last 340s?
Yes. I’m not surprised it doesn’t have the castings specified in the book. They could be replacements but just as likely original equipment.

Building this engine up like a speed shop got it and then “Enhanced” the package is a wide and varied list of parts to what company did what. Shy of piston replacement, getting the compression up on a low compression engine would require new pistons. Milling the head and then intake to fit is a good cheap route seldom done by way of compare to new pistons. Then the head itself has to be addressed. How far do you want to take it?

I was out in the parts shed today and looking over the stuff I'm taking to the swap meet to sell. I ran across some
3671587 casting heads that I thought were late 70's 360 heads. Those castings came on 1973 340's and 73-76 360's. Are they no different than any other 360 head with 1.88 intake valves?

I'm thinking I should probably keep them since they could be sent out and prepped and be ready for when I want to get a hotter cam and higher compression pistons.

Any insight on mods? Plunge cut the bowl and blend it? 5 angle valve job? Port match? I heard about a mod where the intake pushrod hole can be filled with a rod and relocated so the pushrod pinch can be addressed. I'd like to hear about that or at least get a link so I can read about it. I am guessing you would need some offset rockers from a place like RAS too.

I think I would want to use no lower than a 3.73 gear. 231/237 duration at .050" and .525 lift from Competition Camshafts. The car has subframe connectors and torque boxes. That cam calls for 9:1 compression. Would I need to get new pistons or would milling the head surface be required? I may not be understanding everything that I need to regarding the pistons height in the hole? I still need to confirm what pistons are in it.

Can I use a bore scope and determine if they are the factory piston based on the valve cuts? I am reading that the 340 was 8.5:1 so can I even make that up with head work and gasket and get 9:1?

Sorry about all the questions. I probably need to slow down and read more.

I was out in the parts shed today and looking over the stuff I'm taking to the swap meet to sell. I ran across some
3671587 casting heads that I thought were late 70's 360 heads. Those castings came on 1973 340's and 73-76 360's. Are they no different than any other 360 head with 1.88 intake valves?
Not any different as far as I know. MoPar head porters can probably really split hairs on the minor differences in different heads that non porters would never see.

I'm thinking I should probably keep them since they could be sent out and prepped and be ready for when I want to get a hotter cam and higher compression pistons.
Or for any other duty I suppose. I don’t see a problem with any head with being prepped for HP usage down the line.
Any insight on mods?
Plunge cut the bowl and blend it? 5 angle valve job?
Port match?
These are all good ideas and it ether costs money, which is your limitation to spend on. (AKA, your call)
I would defer to a head porter on the overall package before doing any work on the head. IF you just wanted a “General HP” head on the shelf ready to go, the I can tell you what I would do though I don’t know if it fits what your thinking now much less down the line years from now. But this is how I myself would prep a stock OE iron head for future HP use.

In rebuilding the head, the deck and intake surfaces are milled flat at there proper angles. All new gear is used. The valve seat receives a multi angle cut to be used in conjunction with the valves selected. Bowl and port work is determined on the level of the future engines performance level. Once you start grinding on the head, it can’t be put back, so.....
Just valve prep for general street use or racing
A bowl porting for general HP street use or light drag.
Fully ported for a street beast or light/medium drag use.
Race ported for racing.
I personally don’t see a need to port a head beyond the intended valve lift. If there is a benefit in flow, that’s fine.
I heard about a mod where the intake pushrod hole can be filled with a rod and relocated so the pushrod pinch can be addressed. I'd like to hear about that or at least get a link so I can read about it. I am guessing you would need some offset rockers from a place like RAS too.
Look up engine masters. Search where Dulcich (sp?) home ported a set of Edelbrock heads for a test of stock vs ported heads on a MoPar 360/408.
Off set rockers arms can be found at Hughes engines. As well as other places.
This trick is normally done on an aluminum head since iron is difficult to work with on this kind of modification. While it is possible to do so, it will more than likely be cost prohibitive.

The trick basically works like this. Fill the pushrod hole, drill the new hole over the amount you wish to move it. This amount may be limited to the amount of a rocker arms off set.

I would not suggest this trick to be done on an iron head. MoPar has done this for you with the W-2 (& 5 aluminum) head. W2’s are still available. The only draw back (stock iron head vs MP’s HP iron head) is expensive rocker gear. You can shop and compare at Summit Racing. Is it worth it? Oh hell yea.

This trick to a OE head. I would not do. Unless I’m building a purpose built trick engine disguised as a stock engine for classes like F.A.S.T. racing or other. If you want to do it for you, that’s fine.
I think I would want to use no lower than a 3.73 gear. 231/237 duration at .050" and .525 lift from Competition Camshafts. The car has subframe connectors and torque boxes. That cam calls for 9:1 compression.
That is a very mile cam, an old common HP street duration (230@050 area) and IMO would not need a radical port modification with its Relatively low lift. The bowl work is responsible for lift until the .400/.450 lift area. Past this point, the port itself becomes more responsible for better flow. How far you want to maximize/optimize the port is your or your porters call. A head porter will know exactly where to stop porting as not to effect the good flowing low lifts. As well as how it would be good or bad depending on the engine size and application.

Would I need to get new pistons or would milling the head surface be required?
I may not be understanding everything that I need to regarding the pistons height in the hole?
I still need to confirm what pistons are in it.
Everything depends on where the pistons sits in the hole now and clearances with the valve to piston. Also, how much gain in compression your after. I’m not really a fan of milling heads to grab more compression. While it is cheap and easy to do this, it often snowballs into milling the intake and/or head to intake surface.
AKA - Mo-work & money.

Knowing where the piston sits in the cylinder requires the head to be off and a bridge with a dial indicator on top.
Can I use a bore scope and determine if they are the factory piston based on the valve cuts?
I am reading that the 340 was 8.5:1 so can I even make that up with head work and gasket and get 9:1?
I probably need to slow down and read more.
A scope to see? Yea, that’s possible and easy enough through the spark plug hole.
A 1/2 point with a head milling? Heck yea. Just mill both sides of the head. Deck and intake sides. Finding a stock thickness head gasket is the hardest part.
The “How to Hotrod my Small block MoPar” or the engines manual will have more on head milling and piston selections for running a desired ratio. These two books are really your best source.

I just purchased the Larry Sheppard book! Thanks for the tip. I have one of his other titles too. I have How To Build Big Inch Mopar Engines but it wasn't much help in this endeavor.

On the cam, I searched that one out because I am a good clip away from the local drag strip and do not really want to trailer a car with my '76 D100 318. I am planning on a 3.73 gear for this reason.

Thank you @Rumblefish for taking the time. You're responses are valuable to me. For now, I will start reading a lot more. You bring up excellent points on milling heads and how it snowballs into milling intakes. It sounds like a quicker, simpler, and probably around the same cost involved is the W-2 head. That stuff comes up for sale often and I may be able to find a deal. I am not rushing into this so I'm looking at taking a lot of time to collect parts. Just need to pick a direction and start collecting. Hopefully, the How To book will give me a better idea of which direction to take.

@go-fish

IMO, the W2 is a lot of head for a 318.

OH! 2 last things. The expense involved with iron heads vs a W2 is a bit more but the level of performance is way higher. IMO, you have to want to run a W2 head these days because of, #2, the aluminum heads available such as the TF is a very attractive head, cost and performance wise. This is only from a view point of brand new and never used.

If you can find a good set of W2 heads already ported by someone who knows what the heck there doing, you’ll out power most aluminum heads. There other draw back they have (other than more expensive rocker gear, but OH! so worth it!) is there weight. It’s not huge in some respects. Mostly if your not chasing the money. That extra 50 lbs. up front & on top will cost you some at track. On the street, there’s really not a whole lot because most street performance vehicles still ha e steel bumpers, run A/C and such things. If there serious street machines, it’ll look like a race car with working lights and other such equipment where’s real race car does not.

When I’m asked about doing a W2 engine, I just say, “Don’t build it like your swinging for the fence but build it like your swinging for a target over the fence!
Then let it eat!”

Otherwise you can do great with an Edelbrock or like head.

Anybody out there build a W2 headed stock stroke 318?

@go-fish
IMO, the W2 is a lot of head for a 318.

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the gearing and cam in my 340 Duster when I said I didn't want to tow it with my 318 D100. The 318 has Speedmaster heads on it. The gear in the Duster needs to be somewhat highway friendly (65mph?)

I'll proceed with the Z and O 1.88 cylinder heads that are on the 340 now and just keep an eye out for a deal on some W2's. Meanwhile I will be reading a lot about them.

@go-fish OH good. I did get confused and figured I’d just throw that in there. The W2 (IMO) as cast to well ported is right for a 340 and up. MP does have them under there “Tips” section on top of strokers with the 3.79 arm as there were no 4.0 arms back in the day.

If u gave an O head it is a 1970 340 head. 2.02 intake valve. 1.60 exhaust valve. Z I’m no sure. Kim
I’ll have to look at the casting # again but I did already and the source I was looking at said 1.88 for both. I’ll look again though. That would be nice.

The other day I was looking in my parts shed and found what turned out to be ‘73 340/ ‘73-‘76 360 heads. Might keep those and send them out for porting and valves/5-angle.

I have a set of Z heads I posted on another thread. They're 915E castings. They have 2.02 intakes, but after all these years, I can't say the came that way from Ma Mopar.

I have a set of Z heads I posted on another thread. They're 915E castings. They have 2.02 intakes, but after all these years, I can't say the came that way from Ma Mopar.

do you know how to decode these casting dates?
10099 and 10249?

2C59C692-5F0B-4619-A2AA-75326D88A479.jpeg

C05AE8A1-6AA1-402B-A954-18657BBF9E41.jpeg

-
Back