Zerk for stock front sway bar bushing make sense?

-

ppsi

Reaction score
I'm about to install the prothane front sway bar bushings and thought about drilling the bracket for zerks? I can't see how the grease would make it between the bracket and bushing but thought it might be worth asking about?
Thanks

Try grinding a shallow screw groove in the bushings & install the grease fitting. I did that to all of the bushing on the race car & grease it about every 4 races or so making sure there isn't any grease that could accidentally drop on the track.

You don't need any grease between the bracket and the bushing — if you want grease at all it would be between the bar and the bushing — that's where any rotation would be. But a thin smear of silicon grease when you install it should be enough.

I'm about to install the prothane front sway bar bushings and thought about drilling the bracket for zerks? I can't see how the grease would make it between the bracket and bushing but thought it might be worth asking about?
Thanks

You would have to also drill through the bushing to the sway bar where the zert fitting goes or there wouldn't be any point in it.

You would have to also drill through the bushing to the sway bar where the zert fitting goes or there wouldn't be any point in it.

This. The grease has to go between the bar and the bushing, so just drilling through the bracket wouldn’t help. Unless it’s a split bushing and the zerk lined up with the split. But even then I would bet that if the bracket was tight enough you would force grease out before your forced it through.

I like having the ability to grease all my polyurethane bushings. Poly is not like rubber, the bar spins in the bushing and that creates friction, and therefore the need for grease. With a rubber bushing there’s usually no movement between the surface of the rubber and the bar, the rubber twists with the bar and the movement is taken up with flex in the bushing rather than sliding on the surface.

I would drill through the bushing and line that hole up with the zerk. Some of the higher end poly bushings are designed with channels built in for grease to travel, you’re just replicating that.

Yes I plan on drilling through the bushing and the bracket before installing the zerk. I battled with getting the bushing inside the cage today. It was a failure so it looks like I will have to cut the cage.

I was just thinking of doing this very same thing on the new sway bar bushings. I didn’t even try to install the bushing in the brackets without cutting the strap
seemed easier to cut it.

-
Back