Zinc Additive for Flat Tappet break-in?

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
I am about to start my new 360 which has a new flat tappet camshaft. I have heard I am supposed to use an oil that contains Zinc. Where can I buy a Zinc additive for my oil?

bwhitejr

I think you talking about the old diesel oil Rottila (thats spelled wrong) and ZDDP additive. Use the search function on Moparts or slant six.org there was some real good discussion on .org.
Hope this helps.
Frank

GM dealers carry the additive (GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) Part Number 1052367 or GM oil Additive Part Number 12345501), and so does Hughes Engines.

Arrrrrgh! I wonder why? EPA jumping on their backs?

I believe it is still made under the AC Delco name.

I have heard that the STP in the red bottle has a decent amount of zinc content in it to help. Is this true and is it mixable with synthetic oil?

Also, I have 1,500-2,000 miles on my newly rebuilt 318 with comp XE268 cam. Is this too early for synthetic oil?

STP does not list the ZDDP content of their additive on their website. I would prefer to use oil that had the correct amount of ZDDP to start with, like the Valvoline VR series of oils.

For engine break in I use the GM EOS or the cam manufacturer supplied additive like Chuck mentioned w/Valvoline VR oil. I then change the oil and filter and run straight Vavloline VR. No trashed cams as of yet.

In regards to synthetics with a flat tappet cam, I can only tell you this:

I called Royal Purple and actually got a real person on the phone. They did not recommend that I break in an engine with their oil, but they said it would be fine "to use their product after about 2000 miles". Valvoline VR oil is cheaper than the RP stuff and I never have to worry about ZDDP content.

STP does not list the ZDDP content of their additive on their website. I would prefer to use oil that had the correct amount of ZDDP to start with, like the Valvoline VR series of oils.

For engine break in I use the GM EOS or the cam manufacturer supplied additive like Chuck mentioned w/Valvoline VR oil. I then change the oil and filter and run straight Vavloline VR. No trashed cams as of yet.

I called Royal Purple and actually got a real person on the phone. They did not recommend that I break in an engine with their oil, but they said it would be fine "to use their product after about 2000 miles". Valvoline VR oil is cheaper than the RP stuff and I never have to worry about ZDDP content.

I agree with you about VR1. Does the Royal Purple have enouugh ZDDP for the cam though?

I could of swore I just read in Mopar Enthusiast that Mopar is going to be coming out with a brand of their own like GM's EOS...I will have to re-read the article again and double check

MOPARJ: They were not clear on the phone with me in regards to the zinc content in their oils. All they would say is that their additive package is proprietary and should not cause excessive camshaft wear.

Keith: Cool, I hope they do. I feel like I'm walking into enemy territory when I go get a couple bottles.

Yeh I read a bunch of articles and posts on this popular topic. I went with the VR1. I got a case of it. Not cheap. I may decide to get another case since things are being pulled off the shelves everywhere you look these days.

OK just i just read it again and its actually a side bar in the article...They say "that Mopar Performance is currently working with one of the worlds largest additive manufactures to determine the feasibility of offering a ZDDP additive that will make todays motor oils compatible with our older engines."

I guess we will see.....

I think you talking about the old diesel oil Rottila (thats spelled wrong) and ZDDP additive. Use the search function on Moparts or slant six.org there was some real good discussion on .org.
Hope this helps.
Frank

Rottella has the proper Zinc/heavy metal additives and is safe for your initial fire-up. EOS is no longer carried by GM. They now use a cam reak-in lube they sell by the bottle. The reason they gave me is that people were using EOS on the newer GM cars/engines and it was creating a warrenty problem in that the EOS somehow was messing up the emissions.

Shell Rotella has reduced the ZDDP content in their multi-weight oils due to the ZDDP clogging desiel scrubbers.

Caution about Valvoline VR1. Some of the versions are SM rated and will not have any more ZZDP than any other SM rated oil. Can't get the SM rating with the higher ZDDP content.

I spent alot of time researching and getting opinions and I finally settled on castrol 10w40 and stp.Theres some guys on another site who actually sent in samples of a few different additives and the stp was right there with all the others for zinc.They also found that the cheap stuff at wallmart was the same thing and one of the members buys it by the case.

Caution about Valvoline VR1. Some of the versions are SM rated and will not have any more ZZDP than any other SM rated oil. Can't get the SM rating with the higher ZDDP content.

The only versions that I'm aware of are the different weights:

10w-30

20w-50

Straight 30, 40, 50 and 60.

Please let me know where you have heard this and which weight VR1 has been affected.

Thanks

Theres some guys on another site who actually sent in samples of a few different additives and the stp was right there with all the others for zinc.
Interesting...

Where did you read this? Do you have a direct link to the results?

I use the Hughes stuff and it works GREAT! It is a little pricey but damn sure a lot cheaper than wiping out an engine or cam.As the ol saying goes you get what you pay for! Hughes engine oil tech article #207 is very informative.It can help you make some needed decisions.Like I always tell my Wife ! CHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER! So now she don't buy purses or shoes at Wallmart anymore! I don't use CHEAP OILS OR PARTS !! LOL

Interesting...

Where did you read this? Do you have a direct link to the results?

Here is one http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483493&highlight=blue+stp and another ...ms/showthread.php?t=483633&highlight=blue+stp but after reading a brand new study stp may now be a thing of the past-soon we will all be in trouble with the goverments phase out of zinc.I guess I may have to go roller at some point so I dont have to deal with this crap lol.If you really want to hurt you head take a look at this link.http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/search.php?searchid=919944 My friend and I came up with castrol and stp for the fact that I get a medium multi weight oil and when theyre mixed its great on zinc and moly but best of all they are fairly cheap and available at most every store.

actually yearone has royal purple for 5.30 a quart

-
Back