1966 Plymouth Valiant

-
It’s been a while since any update. Not much is different on the 66, but it started right up out of its winter nap. Here it is in the Flats in Cleveland going to work. It may be the most reliable car I own!

IMG_2042.jpeg

Cool story, keep the updates coming. My 66 said to tell your 66 hello!

20160910_124708(0).jpg

Well, it’s not officially part of the car but I made a custom center console yesterday. I’ve been looking for an old Barracuda center console to modify but never found one locally. After a run in the car to a swap meet with a buddy of mine, and our coffee ending up on the floor, I had had enough of spilled refreshments. At the swap meet we looked for some kind of center console or something that could become one. I bought an old gas pump gauge face thinking I’d cut that up but then my friend said he remembered be had an old tool box that might fit. It did fit between the seats and after some cup holders and an added pad from the swap meet, a new console is born! My coffee will be happy.

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2060.jpeg

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

This weekend I tackled the rear suspension bushings. I took off the leaf springs and burned out the bushings, what I realized were 30 years old, I think. Minding my own business behind the garage, after trying a torch and getting the wrath of my wife screaming that I’m stinking up the entire house (kinda true) I retired to the fire pit. One side burned out nicely, the other side was not as deteriorated and it actually popped out of the leaf spring, whilst in the fire, sending a flaming ball of rubber about six feet into some dry leaves. A slight panic ensued and I got it under control. I also broke both shackle bolts on both sides. That was great fun finding grade 8 bolts that would work and $29.00 later I found them and amazingly got the four I need plus nuts etc. I had to waller out the nut side to slide the new bolt thread through but it worked. The drivers side shackle support was cracked so I welded it, and I found the same repair on the passenger side, interesting. I upgraded to Mancini Racing brackets and supports and decided to do the 1.5 drop which takes some of the stance off of it which I prefer. The entire job, including paint, took me like 6 hours. I don’t know how the YouTube guys do this in 20 min…. I call BS. I took it for a ride and you can really feel it, now the only rattling is coming from the top without a cover and inside of the doors. I need to take the next year and psyche myself up to do the front overhaul!! I also did yellow headlights which looks cool! I ran out of camera inspiration so there’s no pics of the completed project, it looks like it did before, just with new bushings by the way.

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2081.jpeg

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

IMG_2080.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some “after pictures” please ignore the extreme amounts of never seize and grease, and the rust.

On an interesting note, the springs had a date on them, 01/06/93 with an S & G marking and what looks like a part number. I tried to save it but eventually they got painted over, but I have the pics anyway.

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2087.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

IMG_2084.jpeg

-
Back