Did the 1979 Lil Red Express come with an air pump?

-
i find it all fascinating. i mean, not that it makes a lick of difference for what i'm doing, but it's interesting none the less.

here's a question on the 75~76 dip in power, was that in conjunction with the debut of lean burn? or was that when they went to the 8:1 compression vs. the 8.4:1?

The dealer info stills says 8.4:1 for ‘75 and ‘76. My guess is the power loss is due to tuning changes to get the motor through emissions with the dual exhaust and no cats. Assuming the link I posted had an accurate recollection and the ‘75 and ‘76 A-Body did still had dual exhaust and no cat, outside of CA that is.

BTW, lean burn wasn’t introduced until ‘77.

Last edited:
I do suspect that the addition of the catalytic convertor, which in those days was very restrictive, single exhaust, carb and distributor changes for smog, lean burn, and other things like less cam caused the drop.

It is possible that the federal E58 from ‘75-‘77 didn’t get a single exhaust or a cat.

Ive had my 79 LRE about 30 years and in that time have read most everything written about them. As we should all know, there are no absolutes when dealing with MOPARS. However, the LRE community generally believes that the 78 engines had the 68-340 cam while the 79's did not. No LRE had a smog pump or Lean Burn. The LRE engine for both years was coded EH1, NOT E58 different codes mean different specs. My 79 did not have a 340 spec cam in it when I tore it down to rebuild, it does now.

Here's the vacuum diagram from my 79 (not a LRT).

20240525_090747.jpg

Ive had my 79 LRE about 30 years and in that time have read most everything written about them. As we should all know, there are no absolutes when dealing with MOPARS. However, the LRE community generally believes that the 78 engines had the 68-340 cam while the 79's did not. No LRE had a smog pump or Lean Burn. The LRE engine for both years was coded EH1, NOT E58 different codes mean different specs. My 79 did not have a 340 spec cam in it when I tore it down to rebuild, it does now.

Here is a "Comment" on Dodge Talk about the '78 LRE having the '68 340 auto spec cam, but the '79 LRE did not, as Regular Jay stated above about his '79 LRE.

Screenshot_20240526-091555_Gallery.jpg

I can see that happening with the stricter emissions regulations coming up in '79, with the addition of the catalytic converters and a lesser cam to help reduce tailpipe emissions.

'79 more than likely got the downgraded .410/.410 lift,
252/252 duration camshaft for the 360s.

Screenshot_20240526-093909_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Screenshot_20240526-095251_Gallery.jpg

This posting by DeltaV goes along with the above findings of the '79 360 4 barrel engine.

☆☆☆☆☆

where you go to buy smog, duh.

i keed, i keed. it's a shop that you go to for your emissions test that you have to do every two years.
Yup, and we have at least two flavors of them. One is a general smog shop where repairs and other services can be done too. The other is a test only smog shop where no repairs can be done. My '78 W250 at one time (before I bought it) was deemed a "gross polluter", so, I have to take it to a test only station every time, even though repairs were done so that it has below average readings now.

No need to measure, your '78 LRE came with the '68 340 auto camshaft profile.

The '79 LRE not.

☆☆☆☆☆
I inserted a photo that I found online of the LRT's being built at Tecumseh Truck (Chrysler Canada). These were 1978 Model year. I recall the 1979 model year and all the rumors about W2 heads, etc. Most of the excitement back then was because of the performance of the prototypes, and people mistook it for the production models. There is a very good article linked in post #50. Another 2 pics from the Packard Proving grounds 2 weeks ago. A 1979 LRE, engine part# 4115300.

Li'l Red Express - Gary Parent UAW [1978 Windsor Tecumseh Road Plant].jpg

20240505_112519.jpg

20240505_112524.jpg

Rumors were rampant but 90% were wrong.

With only 2500 1978 LRT's made for the whole world if you have one keep it.
With around 3500 1979 LRT's made it is almost guaranteed a 1978 is more desirable.

Now a short story.
In 1990 when I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA my Company Commander had a 1979 Corvette. He was always saying how fast it was. I was daily driving my dead stock LRT at the time and he said "Nice Show Truck" so I said "Sir, the ONLY two things your Vett can win over my truck is corning and maybe gas mileage." It took about 2 weeks before this crawled up his butt enough and he said lets go after final formation. So at about 6 PM we went way down Range Road to a long straight section and lined up. My fellow worker dropped his hat and we ran. I was at least 3 cars in front at the finish mark. Ran 2 more times and he lost all 3 runs. My MPG was about 12 and his was about 14.

Back then the only non-stock items on my LRT were 235/60 15's front, 275/60 R 15's rear and a 1977 Speedo that went to 100 MPH, the LRT's goes to 85 MPH. Same speedo look and functions.

I still have one L60 15 Bias ply Polyglass on a 15X8 LRT rim. Its taller than a 275/60 15

What makes a Classic car "CLASSIC"?

In 1965 Plymouth made 22,000 Barracudas, many with slant sixes.

In 1968 Chevy made 208,000 327 powered Cameros, many 6's too.

In 1978 only 2,500 LRT's

In 1979 only 3,500 LRT's. So 6,000 for both years

??????????

Last edited:
True. If you get yanked over, you probably deserved it. They do want people to stop before they state to their friends, “Here! Hold my beer and watch this ****!”

I will say interstate driving in this state is pretty freakin scary!
My brother just retired from FHP. His last few months was on I-95. He was doing accident reports catching up on his paper work and got an SUV flying past him pretty fast. Charger went to 141mph quickly went to 152 kind of slowly. The SUV hammered it and left him in the dust. Never knew the make of the car!

WOW! I’m not a fan of that stupid high speed driving on the interstates. If you know a stretch of no exits for a few miles and its traffic is ZERO VEHICLES, then I say at your own risk have at it.

It’s when these cars/drivers are turning up the speeds and a possibility however remote it may seem, then testing your top speed is out. The way some tools endanger other people’s lives should have a severe penalty. Foolish driving like this is bad for all.

By yourself at 3am with not a light in sight, at your own risk.
Have at it. Don’t cry if you crash.

I’m glad your brother made the golden ticket time of his career.
The police always see people at there most worst and desperate.
Not a good look for humanity. Hard on the soul.

My brother in law and one of my longest best friends just retired out from the force up in lower NY. I can’t stand it when certain topics come up. There eyes glaze over and venom drips from there teeth. Those that don’t know will learn rather quickly to avoid these topics.

It’s just best to thank the cops for doing a dirty job most can’t handle. If they only new a fraction of what’s out in the world.

WOW! I’m not a fan of that stupid high speed driving on the interstates. If you know a stretch of no exits for a few miles and its traffic is ZERO VEHICLES, then I say at your own risk have at it.

It’s when these cars/drivers are turning up the speeds and a possibility however remote it may seem, then testing your top speed is out. The way some tools endanger other people’s lives should have a severe penalty. Foolish driving like this is bad for all.

My brother in law and one of my longest best friends just retired out from the force up in lower NY. I can’t stand it when certain topics come up. There eyes glaze over and venom drips from there teeth. Those that don’t know will learn rather quickly to avoid these topics.

It’s just best to thank the cops for doing a dirty job most can’t handle. If they only new a fraction of what’s out in the world.
He was in the Keys, Monroe county from 2018-2023. Sold his house in Key Largo and built in Volusia county. Went from 1/8th of an acre (big in Key Largo!) to 10. He wasn't with FHP very long. He was in Management in the water company in the Keys. Too much stress! FHP was better. Paid into the same state retirement fund. Never got into any shooting. Helped a lot of folks.

Nice! Similar story here. I was not a cop but a railroad worker in NY. Left that state for Florida and double my house size, land area, built a 12 aq. ft. garage (almost done) and enjoy everyday thank the Lord God Almighty!!!

Now to get as many years of life in retirement as I did years of service at the job and I’ll feel pretty good about myself.
LMAO!

Sound advice, well said.

Here's the vacuum diagram from my 79 (not a LRT).

View attachment 1716254539

Interesting. This is much more complicated than the LRE emissions stickers I've seen. It's looking more and more like the LREs didn't come with a smog pump.

I don't have concrete evidence, but to my knowledge both '78 and '79 LRE's were available in California. As for how a smog pump works, I have a theory. They claim it allows for unburned gasoline in the exhaust to burn due to the introduction of more oxygen. My theory is that all it does is dilute the exhaust by introducing "clean" air to reduce the parts per million of the exhaust coming out the port.

Never thought about it that way but it makes total sense.

I agree with Mr. Lusk as well. I thought the truck exhaust manifolds were drilled and tapped for the metal pump tubes. There was a small cover for the hole in said manifolds, with a gasket (I have one), when not used for an air pump IIRC.
I didn't pay much attention to an engine after it was hoisted and deposited on the engine conveyor at Dodge Truck in 1979. We did go down to the "rolls" or "roll off" and watch them drive some LRT's off the Main (Light) Line. There were two lines and engines were still in Main Building at that time. Those engines, (EH1 code), weren't even stored under the engine bay hoist, because we generally only had 24 on hand. They were stored very near the engine staging area though, on the West side of the motor dock. So if a 300 (part no.) came across broadcast, Joe or Don (the build sheet separating guy) would alert me or the hi-lo drivers, and we would get a rack under the hoist area. Usually, scheduling would send a few, spaced out.
Engines were categorized as Federal, Canada, California, and Export on my sheets. I was responsible for making certain the correct engine was available for a truck, if it was in house and that included trucks in the bullpen and later, rail cars from Toluca Engine. Kinda foggy, only 45 years ago.
I gotta go look, get a pic of my California 1980 W150 emissions sticker now.

Yes truck exhaust manifolds were drilled and tapped at the back to mount the air pump tubing.

Here is a picture of the air pump tubes.

20240528_192628.jpg

Pumping clean air into the lower channels of the exhaust manifolds to mix with the burned exhaust gases.

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back