sticky caliper

-

OllieDemon45

Reaction score
So i finally got the disc brake conversion installed 100%. All new calipers, rotors, rubber hoses, lines, Master cylinder and adjustable propotioning valve. Everyting is bled, along with bench bleeding the MC.
Problem i am having is the drivers side caliper is sticking a little bit. I can move the rotor by hand but it takes some force, the passenger side spins pretty free.
Any ideas? I might put the wheels on it and do a quick run the way it is and see if it frees up any just around our neighborhood. I'm sure my neighbors miss the sound of the 340 anyways:lol:

With both new rotors, and pads, the new pads could be a bit too thick.
Won't hurt to try sanding down the pads a bit, and see what happens.

Put some heat cycles into the pads. Aka, take the car through the neighbor hood, up to 30 and grab the binders to a full stop to “seat” the pads. Do this a few times. You should be go to go after this. I would not sand them BTW...

You should put it thru a few heat cycles. 40 mph hit the brakes to stop quick but not lock them up. Repeat this 3-4 times then bring it back to the house and let them cool overnight. Check it the next day.

If that does not work then check brake tubing or even hoses for a kink or collapse. Even brand new hoses are crimped too much and slow or stop fluid.

Have an assistant apply pedal pressure and let off and check the drag. If you open the bleeder and the drag goes away then it’s hydraulic - if not then swap pads side to side before sanding anything. It could be crap in caliper or mechanical line up or something simple. Or just a thicker pad as stated above.
Good luck! Keep us posted. Fingers crossed you find it quickly.

I took it for nice cruise last night and did a few quick stops like you guys said. Everything felt good. I just lifter the front end and the drivers side fella better, I can still hear it dragging some, but not bad.
I think I need to adjust to get more rear brake.
Thanks again for all the help through this project. I am by no means a mechanic, but it’s something I wanted to do, next up will be the rear disc swap, new axles and hopefully a suregrip. No more one wheel peel.

And by the way. This doesn’t just apply to our old cars. All cars/trucks-can use this method of seating the brakes.

-
Back