What to use when drying off car after wash?

-

Rude72*

Reaction score
Hey guys… brand new here. 1st ever post. Going to wash my ‘72 Duster today and would like to hear your recommendations for what type of microfiber towel (you guys) use to dry off your baby. Thanks so much, in advance!

Rag Company Gauntlet via Amazon.
But really get the car wax, sealant or ceramic coated and use a leaf blower for non contact. I use the Milwaukee cordless. 35 year detailer here. Strip Wash, paint decon, paint correction (polish) before final step. The outcome is based upon the prep work. Then maintenance washes. I use ONR for rinseless washes and Meguiars Wash & Wax in the garage for the maintenance. Collinite 845 is real good too. I keep it old school on my '73 Dart Sport 340.

Hey guys… brand new here. 1st ever post. Going to wash my ‘72 Duster today and would like to hear your recommendations for what type of microfiber towel (you guys) use to dry off your baby. Thanks so much, in advance!
Hey Rude 72,

Welcome to the site!

By far , the best way to dry your car, if you have it available is with compressed air.

Other than that, I use a natural Chamois .

Wash it after every use and store it where it can't get dirty.

Thanks Super-Cuda! So… I have an (older) air compressor in the garage. You’re saying to just put an attachment on it and start blowing the air on the car? Never thought about that!

But really get the car wax, sealant or ceramic coated and use a leaf blower for non contact. I use the Milwaukee cordless. 35 year detailer here. Strip Wash, paint decon, paint correction (polish) before final step. The outcome is based upon the prep work. Then maintenance washes. I use ONR for rinseless washes and Meguiars Wash & Wax in the garage for the maintenance. Collinite 845 is real good too. I keep it old school on my '73 Dart Sport 340.
Thanks TRW! I will definitely consider this drying cloth.

With protection on the car and using air with a leaf blower or air compressor, the water beads just slide off. You can get the car about 90% dry and then just use a detailer as a drying aid with a microfiber and/drying towel for the last touch ups. Car washing/detailing is great therapy, especially if you love your ride :). And if you don't you bought the wrong car lol.

I bought some bath towels at Wal Mart. Thick and thirsty. Throw them in the washer and dryer without softener. I don't wash mine much. Spray wax or glaze and glass cleaner to get rid of the bugs in the front. 50 year old cars with original vinyl tops don't need to get wet.

If you are going to blow it out them start blowing with the soap on it so you can clean up all the dirt that will be blown out from under the trim and edges.

Get either an electric or gas (I prefer) leaf blower blow all water off no swirls.

I use a silicone squeegee and a microfiber towel, if I do a full wash. I normally only use the show wax/rub off thing though. Wash once every two years or more.
IMG_4261.jpeg

What is the quality of your paint. If it's new do as suggested above.

If it's old, faded, etc. just get cheap microfiber and go for it.

To get the most water off, I use either a chamois or old bath towel, and then finish the dry with Costco microfiber.
The white car (avatar) gets a dry wash. Detailing it is a bish.

I have a black 05 Ram. It has been my daily driver since new, mileage now 141K. It has no water spots or swirls in the paint. I always wash my wheels, tires, and fenderwells first so I can keep water off the paint as long as possible to avoid it drying into waterspots. Then I blast it off with water and using a thick terry cloth and Mequire's Car Wash, I soap down the entire truck as quickly as possible and make a second lap around it making sure I don't miss any spots. The soap will dry on the paint, but it won't leave water spots. Then I rinse off everything and use my cordless leaf blower to blast off most of the water. Finally, I dry it down with an old bath towel polishing off what little soap spots may be left. I even spray a little water on my towel as I go because it gets too dry.
20220210_161221.jpg

Chamois on my cars and I've owned black cars for 35 years. You haven't learned what streaks and water spots are like until you've own a black car.

Tom

if you use compressed air be sure to regulate the pressure! leaf blower seems the better bet for air. I use an old soft clean bath towel.

I have been using the same chamois for the last twenty years or so. When I'm done with it, I run it through the rinse cycle only of the wash and then fold it nicely on top of the dryer. When it's dry, I put it back in a small box that I keep in my trunk. It's nice to have at shows in case of a pop up shower.

At work (customer cars), we have silicon squeegees that work well, and then follow up with a microfiber. I also vote for the Costco brand microfibers. They are cheap but the quality is great. I've got one I keep right here at the computer to clean my glasses every morning.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! Very helpful!

I have a paint chip on the top of the driver’s side fender (right next to the gap between the fender and hood). I need to find touch up paint ASAP. The cars color is listed as Two stage Electric Blue, which was supposedly a 1993 Chrysler color.

Can anyone direct me to whom I need to contact to get the touch up paint? It would be greatly appreciated! (Pic attached).

IMG_1855.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back