Need advice purchasing a plastic polishing system.

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been on the interwebs for a good part of the morning, and right now I'm a bit overwhelmed with options, so I need some help/advice, please.

The hood is cracked on my wife's J.D. mower (yes, it's hers), and I'll be using my 100 watt plastic "welder" (with staples) sometime this weekend to effect repairs.

resize 3.JPG

But now that the hood is off I've really noticed the poor condition, and as long as it's off I think I'd like to polish it up, and replace the stickers, before I put it back on the mower.

resized 1.jpg

I've used Novus products on small jukebox pieces in the past with great results, but that's all been done by hand, and since (potentially!) I have three of these to do (long story), I'd much rather use a machine polisher of some sort for this go-round.

IMG_5023.JPG

I don't intend on making this look "showroom new", but rather just "shiny" and/or "good enough" (after all, it's just a lawnmower, ferchrisake!), so I think I can get away with a drill mounted system of some sort instead of buying a full-on "polisher".

I think....

Does anyone here know of such a system, or can offer-up a link or some advice?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

I've been on the interwebs for a good part of the morning, and right now I'm a bit overwhelmed with options, so I need some help/advice, please.

The hood is cracked on my wife's J.D. mower (yes, it's hers), and I'll be using my 100 watt plastic "welder" (with staples) sometime this weekend to effect repairs.

View attachment 1716208122

But now that the hood is off I've really noticed the poor condition, and as long as it's off I think I'd like to polish it up, and replace the stickers, before I put it back on the mower.

View attachment 1716208124

I've used Novus products on small jukebox pieces in the past with great results, but that's all been done by hand, and since (potentially!) I have three of these to do (long story), I'd much rather use a machine polisher of some sort for this go-round.

View attachment 1716208125

I don't intend on making this look "showroom new", but rather just "shiny" and/or "good enough" (after all, it's just a lawnmower, ferchrisake!), so I think I can get away with a drill mounted system of some sort instead of buying a full-on "polisher".

I think....

Does anyone here know of such a system, or can offer-up a link or some advice?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Wish you lived closer I have a few buffers and all the compound and polish and would be happy to help out.
Never had any luck with a drill mounted buffer but it works but not real good as far as I'm concerned.

Mothers Mag Wheel Polish (Trust Me) and a foam pad on a drill... Easy... And you';; be amazed at how good plastic polishes up.... Something like this...

I had to run to Home Depot Sunday afternoon, as one of our bath exhaust fan's crapped-out (no pun intended), and while walking through the power tool section I stumbled across this:

I figured it was only $15, and was worth the gamble, so I bit.

And it's a good thing I did, too, as I stopped-off at O'Reilly's, AutoZone, NAPA, Advance Auto, and Tractor Supply on my home, and none of them had anything even close.

But I'm pretty sure they all have the Mother's Wheel Polish, so I'll grab some on my way home tonight, thanks!

Last edited:
Wish you lived closer I have a few buffers and all the compound and polish and would be happy to help out.
Never had any luck with a drill mounted buffer but it works but not real good as far as I'm concerned.
By the way, I picked-up another OBS Ford this past weekend ('95 F150, 4WD, 351/auto/8.8, topper, etc). I got it cheap, and it's rusty, but it runs and drives. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, as I already have a "parts truck" for my new (to me) '92, so before my wife starts getting even madder at me for having three of these sitting around, if'n you think you may be interested in this one feel free to shoot me a PM!

If you are looking to polish up what is the factory paint, you needn't treat if much different than your auto paint.
I use mild compound then Meguires 1, 2, 3.

By the way, I picked-up another OBS Ford this past weekend ('95 F150, 4WD, 351/auto/8.8, topper, etc). I got it cheap, and it's rusty, but it runs and drives. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, as I already have a "parts truck" for my new (to me) '92, so before my wife starts getting even madder at me for having three of these sitting around, if'n you think you may be interested in this one feel free to shoot me a PM!
....before she shoots YOU!
:lol:

-
Back