Rad Support

-

SSSN8KE

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the lower portion of the rad support should be body colour or blacked out?

Thanks
Stu.

All of it was body color first. They used only enough black paint to cover the middle area that would show through the grille(s). I never found defined tape lines either. Only pic I have to offer. Only defined lines are where fenders were removed. They had black on them too covering most of the headlight house.

my cars front.JPG

All of it was body color first. They used only enough black paint to cover the middle area that would show through the grille(s). I never found defined tape lines either. Only pic I have to offer. Only defined lines are where fenders were removed. They had black on them too covering most of the headlight house.

View attachment 1715717394

thank you RedFish much appreciated!

The entire support blackened out?
Look at the car on the right in the photo above. The radiator supports were sprayed from underneath on the assembly line. Pretty much everything you can see through the grille and below the bumper got covered. It was crudely applied and no masking or taping off was done.

Look at the car on the right in the photo above. The radiator supports were sprayed from underneath on the assembly line. Pretty much everything you can see through the grille and below the bumper got covered. It was crudely applied and no masking or taping off was done.

Good point I missed that pic on the right. If you look at my GTS pic straight on you can see the bottom rad support and it’s body colour. I hadn’t thought about it until somebody mentioned it. Just trying to figure out how they came from the factory. Thanks for your help!

Good point I missed that pic on the right. If you look at my GTS pic straight on you can see the bottom rad support and it’s body colour. I hadn’t thought about it until somebody mentioned it. Just trying to figure out how they came from the factory. Thanks for your help!
I see what you are talking about now. The b'cuda lower valance covers that part of it so it wasn't blacked out.

Yep. Some areas got painted, some not. Some cars got the treatment and some didn't. Some black cars got sprayed but most didn't. It's all about a guy standing in a pit under a car moving down a assembly line and his job was to shoot black coating on those areas. For a 8 hour shift. Meh, so he missed a few spots on a few cars. LOL

Yep. Some areas got painted, some not. Some cars got the treatment and some didn't. Some black cars got sprayed but most didn't. It's all about a guy standing in a pit under a car moving down a assembly line and his job was to shoot black coating on those areas. For a 8 hour shift. Meh, so he missed a few spots on a few cars. LOL

I guess you call that quality control.....lol

One of our members here has a pristine 68 Barracuda I studied at a car show. There was overspray on the underside of the hood. Yes the hood was on.

One of our members here has a pristine 68 Barracuda I studied at a car show. There was overspray on the underside of the hood. Yes the hood was on.

it’s real interesting how all these little quirks and quarks happened on the assembly line.

The 'sprayed from a pit' was for the sound proofing and undercoating.

The black out or the radiator support was sprayed from in front of the car.

Plenty of original examples exist that show the black was sprayed down and across.

Only way for that to happen from a pit would be if the painter was on a ladder.

The pit paint is a myth that will just not die.....

-
Back