Window Glass Question

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Hello All,
My original 67’s doors were a little too far gone to restore so I replaced with what I thought were 68 shells, planning to re-use all my 67 door glass and hardware. I cut into my old door today, pics below.
What I fear is that my newer shells aren’t 68’s at all but even later shells that didn’t support vent windows. The bracket in one of the pics of the cut away old door where I’m pointing my finger doesnt exist on my replacement door. The pic with the red dooor has different brackets in that spot. I’m pointing to those in the red door pic.

Can someone out there can help and share some knowledge?

Hello All,
My original 67’s doors were a little too far gone to restore so I replaced with what I thought were 68 shells, planning to re-use all my 67 door glass and hardware. I cut into my old door today, pics below.
What I fear is that my newer shells aren’t 68’s at all but even later shells that didn’t support vent windows. The bracket in one of the pics of the cut away old door where I’m pointing my finger doesnt exist on my replacement door. The pic with the red dooor has different brackets in that spot. I’m pointing to those in the red door pic.

Can someone out there can help and share some knowledge?

1A961C39-152E-40AF-B0E4-61205D7A9990.jpeg

37A376BB-6C68-448B-8340-ACD4FCBDE92B.jpeg

It would seem your new shells are 3 years newer and won't work unless you do a lot of relocating of the brackets. I have 40 years in the body and fender field and have seen a lot of this. Some people will tell you what you want to hear and then sell you the wrong stuff anyway just to get rid of it and make a buck. Now that being said are sure you can't buy the door from classic parts this would be the fastest way to fix your problem but not the cheapest. Also are you sure your doors are so far gone you can't fix the frame and put a door skin on it. Are there no other places to buy a used door sometimes it takes a lot of research before finding what you need. I didn't look to see where you are I would love to hands on help you with your problem. I believe anything can be repaired its more a matter of how much time you want to invest in the part. I hope my words can help you. Good luck and let me know how you make out

It would seem your new shells are 3 years newer and won't work unless you do a lot of relocating of the brackets. I have 40 years in the body and fender field and have seen a lot of this. Some people will tell you what you want to hear and then sell you the wrong stuff anyway just to get rid of it and make a buck. Now that being said are sure you can't buy the door from classic parts this would be the fastest way to fix your problem but not the cheapest. Also are you sure your doors are so far gone you can't fix the frame and put a door skin on it. Are there no other places to buy a used door sometimes it takes a lot of research before finding what you need. I didn't look to see where you are I would love to hands on help you with your problem. I believe anything can be repaired its more a matter of how much time you want to invest in the part. I hope my words can help you. Good luck and let me know how you make out
Hey me again did you think about using the new door as a doner to repair you old door

68 is unique in that area

68 up uses a interior sets screw that is hidden by a plastic plug on the inner door skin.

Screenshot_20240518-162537.png

67 uses a philips head screw that goes through the inner door skin

Screenshot_20240518-162910.png

The inside of the door and the vent frame are slightly different in the area

Hey me again did you think about using the new door as a doner to repair you old door
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been researching some old posts to try and figure out which door year the replacements are. They def aren’t 67’s!
Since the replacemt ones are already painted I gotta stay with em. I did see an old post that said that the brackets i am pointing at in my pic of the red replacement door are for vent windows. If the post is accurate then they will work with my 67 vents is the question. I could remove the brackets from my 67 doors and weld em in the replacement doors I suppose but really don’t want to perform surgery on fresh painted doors.

68 is unique in that area

68 up uses a interior sets screw that is hidden by a plastic plug on the inner door skin.

View attachment 1716251400

67 uses a philips head screw that goes through the inner door skin

View attachment 1716251401

The inside of the door and the vent frame are slightly different in the area
Dana, can you tell what year the new ( red doors ) are by the bracket in the pic? The bracket is in the vent window area.

Where are your lock knobs? Ones back by the rear edge are '67-8 type. Forward several inches and they're '69-up. Doors without vent windows are '70-2 Duster/Demon or '73-up all 2dr's. If you driver's side door still has the VIN sticker, that will tell the tale too.

Where are your lock knobs? Ones back by the rear edge are '67-8 type. Forward several inches and they're '69-up. Doors without vent windows are '70-2 Duster/Demon or '73-up all 2dr's. If you driver's side door still has the VIN sticker, that will tell the tale too.
Mark,
Pics attached, doors are def 69 up due to the lock knob placement. Side mirror holes are right about the back end of a vent window. I just need to figure out what internals from my
67 doors will bolt right over or if I can make any that won’t bolt over fit with a little effort. Does that bracket I’m pointing to on red door in rhe previous post indicate the door had a vent window?

2511C940-1C1C-4578-AED7-024FB0FE462F.jpeg

96521071-0828-4C71-B6FE-E119588FC61D.jpeg

5388F4D3-5006-43E9-A959-92E354EA6267.jpeg

No VIN but found this number set stamped in the middle of door.

8EF59C3A-4A40-4734-9E36-95B14650E705.jpeg

I can't tell from your photos exactly where that the bracket in the red door is in relation to where the vent frame would be. A better photo of the bracket itself might help too. IIRC the vent doors have the catwhisker clips just up the rear vent frame, and the Duster/Demon doors have them all the way up to the front edge. The internal guts are all completely different between the two types.

Dana, can you tell what year the new ( red doors ) are by the bracket in the pic? The bracket is in the vent window area.
No, I have only 67 stuff to look at.

You could get a 68 up vent window frame and call it a day!

67 door without vent window installed
PXL_20240519_013030270.jpg

That bracket you are pointing to on the red door holds the block and Allen screw... attachment point for the vent window frame. My 72 has vent windows and has that very same bracket.
Ok, looks like the new doors are 69-72 due to the lock placement and since 73-up had no vent windows. That sound right to everybody?

Check with whoever you got those doors from. They had all the parts at some point in the past.

Check with whoever you got those doors from. They had all the parts at some point in the past.
That would have been Uncle Tony way back in 2017 before he became Uncle Tony. A heads up on the door differences at the time would have been nice. live and learn

One thing I noticed is I don't see the small rectangular cutouts for the steel clips that receive the large Phillips arm rest screws? Got pics of other side of 67 doors? Sorry to see this, its a beautiful color.

One thing I noticed is I don't see the small rectangular cutouts for the steel clips that receive the large Phillips arm rest screws? Got pics of other side of 67 doors? Sorry to see this, its a beautiful color.
I’ll try and post a pic of the two doors together for comparison tomorrow.

-
Back