‘70 Dart rear bumper brackets

-

HodgePodge

Reaction score
Hi. I’m restoring my ‘70 Dart Swinger. The car came with a ‘72 rear bumper. I got a new ‘70 bumper from AMD. Does anyone know if the bumper mounting brackets for ‘70 bumper are the same as or different from a ‘72? The one I removed has a long support across the length of the bumper plus the two brackets that mount to the body. I don’t think I need the long bracket as it looks like it provides extra support for the slotted jack. When I used just the body brackets alone, the bumper looks like it sticks out further than normal. Thanks.

I don't know about the brackets for a '72, but you caught me at the perfect time for the '70 brackets. I would be happy to send you photos of my freshly restored '70 brackets before I reinstall them, if it would be of help. Let me know what side, angle, or measurements you need. Feel free to PM me for specific needs.

Ran out to the garage before dinner. Here's the back of the car without the bumper mounts installed. You can see from the dimples how the bumper brackets are oriented. Here's a picture of the mounts oriented for installation. The 3 body mount holes have a closed foam type vibration insulator. I cut some from a sheet of cork and super glued them to the bracket.

DartBumperBrackets.jpg

DartBumperMounts.jpg

Here's a picture of the individual brackets. Please ignore my drips in the POR-15. The part numbers are 2962430 for the starboard/right bracket. 2962431 is the part number for the portside/left bracket. No intermediate bar like you described for the '72. No bumper slots in any of the brackets. I hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me for any more detailed descriptions or information.

BumperMountLeft.jpg

BumperMountRight.jpg

70-72 use the same brackets. Sounds like you have 1973 brackets. 1973 added the horizontal bar because of the 5 mph impact regulations for 1973. These brackets also place the bumper further out.

Thanks, FM3. I don't know about later Darts, since I don't have one. This Dart Swinger is very original, and I have the build sheet. Thank You for your input. Your knowledge is appreciated.

-
Back