1/2 inch pick up tube

-

44o gts dart

Reaction score
Hey guys,, I purchased a reproduction 893 engine oil pan from VANS awhile back..getting to final stages of engine build, but I was wanting to put a 1/2 inch diameter pickup tube .. does anyone know if any company makes one for the 893 pan ??
Tia

Hey guys,, I purchased a reproduction 893 engine oil pan from VANS awhile back..getting to final stages of engine build, but I was wanting to put a 1/2 inch diameter pickup tube .. does anyone know if any company makes one for the 893 pan ??
Tia
Is the thread in the block enlarged for it? If not it really isn't going to help.

Just a stupid question. Why? Unless this is a race, high rpm, large clearance build I would think the stock 3/8' pickup would be sufficient. The machine work to convert to 1/2" tube is usually done with block machining not at final stages. Some additional oil flow can be made by de burring and matching oil ports on block and oil pump. I've seen this discussed on forums and books. This would also be done before final cleaning before assembly.

Just a stupid question. Why? Unless this is a race, high rpm, large clearance build I would think the stock 3/8' pickup would be sufficient. The machine work to convert to 1/2" tube is usually done with block machining not at final stages. Some additional oil flow can be made by de burring and matching oil ports on block and oil pump. I've seen this discussed on forums and books. This would also be done before final cleaning before assembly.
Well,, there are no stupid questions remember….my engine builder had mentioned when I dropped my engine off that he was probably go with a 1/2 oil pickup.. I had already gotten the 893 pan. But I received a call from him stating which pickup to use..so if he machined it before assembly I guess we will go 1/2 inch. If he hasn’t machined it when block was bare I will go with factory 3/8 one

IMG_6889.png

Those type oiling mods are very popular for big blocks, along with several others and none of them will hurt a street engine. They will all show benefit. I would run a high volume oil pump to take advantage of the extra flow capacity, though.

I have the Mlidon 18662 oil pickup. The pan depths for it are 5" to 5 1/4" deep. I was debating wether to go the 893 pan or the 547. I think the 18662 pickup is used on the Mancini 547 pan package when the mopar performance one cannot be bought.
If you measure your pan depth and it falls in the 5" to 5 1/4" range the 18662 pickup should work.
Hopefully someone has run this pickup and can confirm.

IMG_20231101_174749523.jpg

Either way don't forget the pickup should contact the bottom of the pan with the gasket/windage tray installed. There should be light tension on the pickup when you tighten the pan. Since it hangs a long way from where it screws into the block, it has a lot of leverage and could possibly crack the tube if it's allowed to just "hang there".

If you're wanting to go .500 pick up you might as well plug the pick up hole and run a large capacity oil pan and swinging pick up with exterior lines.
It's funner

Tia

Not sure how quick you are looking to go but a lot of us ran 9’s with aftermarket 3/8 pickups for years.

I have the half inch pickup from this kit that I would sell.
Mancini A-Body Oil Pan Power Package

I decided to stay with the 3/8 pickup.

Not sure how quick you are looking to go but a lot of us ran 9’s with aftermarket 3/8 pickups for years.

I have the half inch pickup from this kit that I would sell.
Mancini A-Body Oil Pan Power Package

I decided to stay with the 3/8 pickup

-
Back