1/4 times

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
I have a 1975 Dart Sport. 360 4 speed 8 3/4 4.30 gears. Rear has been narrowed 30-13.5-15 MT ET streets. Right now it has a mopar 292-509 purple shaft in it. It has 10-1 flat top pistons ported 587 heads with 2.02 valves. I was looking for a different cam setup I've been told the purpleshafts are outdated, and I could make alot more power from a different cam about the same size or smaller. I have never ran it at the track but I am wanting to run high 11 or low 12 second Quarters. I also do drive the car to car to car shows and local cruises so I didn't want a cam thats too big. I just want some opinions on cams and also which is the best intake to run with my combo. And what are some times people are running with a setup similar to mine.

A nice small roller cam around .580 lift and that should put you where you want to be.

A nice small roller cam around .580 lift

I wouldn't call that "small", especially for a dual-purpose car, it's rather expensive and not necessary! It is possible to run mid-low 11's with smaller cams (IHRA/NHRA Stock class), but the cams have a heck of a lot of duration and many other things are refined to get the most out of it. Luckily a stick can get away with more duration than a auto trans. Asking for advice on forums and checking with a few cam companies will give you some ideas. While I'm not up on the best dual-purpose combos, there are other areas besides the cam that should be looked at also. With a 4-speed, traction will be an issue, so suspension and tires have to be considered. (Shocks, frame connectors, roll bar, 6 cyl. torsion bars) Track time experimenting with carb set-ups, launch & shift rpm's, etc. can help drop ET's more. I think it's possible, but not necessarily easy.

It's hard to go wrong with a good dual plane - RPM, Air Gap, Stealth, LD340. You "might" be able to get away with a single plane. - M-1, Holley Strip Dominator, Torker 2. But it's always safer to be a little on the conservative side.

That's a pretty tall tire for such a short gear. With a 30" tire I would run at least a 4.88 gear.

Chuck

I agree with the above about going up in gear but if it is dual purpose you can get away with racing a little less steep 4.56. If you know how to row the gears, I think you have a 12.30 combo as it sits.

I have a 340 30 over with 292-509. I run a single plane m-1 and 4:10 gear with a mt 29x15.50 with an automatic and my best time was at 12.54 in the quarter. I drive it to the track about 50 mins from my house take of the air cleaner and go. When the nights is over aircleaner on and head for home. I forgot that is with untouch x heads 2.02 , 1.60's

I'd go with a Air Gap intake,4.56's,850 carb,and a nice Lunati .494/.513 cam..

The cam you have will get you there and as for intakes I run a Edelbrock torker II that works good but have heard that the air gap is a great intake.

-
Back