17" or 18" Aluminum Mopar Style Cop Wheels?

-

'Cuda_ragtop

Woulda, Shoulda, 'Cuda!
Reaction score
Has anyone out there found 17 or 18 inch Aluminum Mopar Style Cop wheels?
Links and Pics appreciated.
TIA!

This style but 17 or 18 inch aluminum. Not interested in Steel versions.
1701199363002.png

I believe you’d be fully in custom wheel territory.

@khuebner250 had a set of 18” aluminum wheels made to replicate a set of stock steel wheels. The shop that did that would definitely be capable of making a set that looked like cop wheels. But the cost was substantial.

Shop info here, pictures etc. most of the wheel info is in the page or two ahead of this post
When does money outweigh sentimental value? 1968 notchback build thread

IMG_5549.jpeg

IMG_5550.jpeg

I believe you’d be fully in custom wheel territory.
So far, I haven't been able to finding any if they exist...

I do like these AR500 in all satin or matte black.
Limited size, backspace, bolt patterns and finish for their "Standard" off the shelf versions...
They can be ordered custom size, finish, backspace, bolt pattern, etc...$$$$
1701281803665.png

The search continues...

the GM vision rallyes aren't THAT far off....not sure what it looks like under that center cap...the 0 offset might limit how much tire you can fit

Vision Wheel 55 Rally Aluminum Wheels & 55 Rally Aluminum Rims On Sale

edit: found this w/o the center cap....

1701472180871.png

might have to get creative, maybe utilize the other bolt pattern to fasten something that would hold a standard mopar dogdish?

Last edited:
the GM vision rallyes aren't THAT far off....not sure what it looks like under that center cap...the 0 offset might limit how much tire you can fit

Vision Wheel 55 Rally Aluminum Wheels & 55 Rally Aluminum Rims On Sale

edit: found this w/o the center cap....

Amazon product ASIN B075FDRQ3N
might have to get creative, maybe utilize the other bolt pattern to fasten something that would hold a standard mopar dogdish?
Funny you mention that. I was going to post this but then decided not to. but since it's out there...

Been looking at these. American Racing and others...
+/-0 offset not going to work for my desired tire size. AR has +12mm offset (5.47" BS) for the 17x9 but only 0 offset for 17x8...
Several other wheel manufacturers out there so I'll do some more searching.
Backspace is key! Bolt pattern is not a problem they can be ordered with 5x4.5 from at least a couple sources.
Did I mention Backspace is key! ;-)

1701472497597.png

Found this graphic for measuring GM center cap fitment... might be a long shot but a Mopar rallye wheel center might fit...
The inside diameter fitment is 7 inches for GM center caps and a Mopar Rallye wheel Center is 7 inches in diameter... hmmm
I don't have a GM rally wheel to test it on but might buy a cheap or used GM center cap just to get the dimensions to see how close Mopar rallye wheel center cap dimensions would be.
1701474658183.png

Thinking about it, I bet I could go to one of my local wheel shops with one of my Mopar centers just to hold it up to one of their Chevy Rally wheels for fit...

I love the steelies look, now you have me thinking about aluminum.......and...

Can you source the hoop and center separately?

Weld together?

Then like Jim Morrison or like Henry Ford...... paint (powdercoat) it black?

I love the steelies look, now you have me thinking about aluminum.......and...

Can you source the hoop and center separately?

Weld together?

Then like Jim Morrison or like Henry Ford...... paint (powdercoat) it black?
That only works with steel wheels. No one I have found can do that with aluminum.
Not to be confused with widening... they can cut and add to the barrel but they can't/won't cut a center out, move it in or out and weld the center back in. It was explained to me that welding a center into a barrel risks distortion.

what kind of offset are you looking for? I'm smitten with these, and the 15x8 are +19mm offset Vision Wheel 148-7865SGMF19 Vision American Muscle 148 Shift Satin Gray Machined Wheels | Summit Racing
Those are cool.

looking to run 17x8 and 17x9 front/rear that is what I have but the offset up front is not enough for a 245/45.
These fronts are 17x8 4.25" backspace... 5.25 or 5.5 backspace would be about right for a 17x8 to fit 245/45
The rear are 275/40/17x9 0 offset and fit fine. Might try a 225/45 25" tall up front before buying different wheels...

1701487657536.png

Maybe find a 17x7 and have 1” added to the inside? That would effectively add 12.7mm to the offset. Maybe add 2” to the inside and add 25.4mm to the offset?

A 17x8 +30mm wheel works great on the front depending on the brake package with a 245/45R17, at least on my car. I have a slip on rotor with a hub I whittled out of a stock rotor. This effectively gives about a 1/4” spacer and my tie rod ends clear nicely. But a 17x9 with a similar offset probably won’t clear even though (I think) you can run the same 245 tire.

Maybe find a 17x7 and have 1” added to the inside? That would effectively add 12.7mm to the offset. Maybe add 2” to the inside and add 25.4mm to the offset?

A 17x8 +30mm wheel works great on the front depending on the brake package with a 245/45R17, at least on my car. I have a slip on rotor with a hub I whittled out of a stock rotor. This effectively gives about a 1/4” spacer and my tie rod ends clear nicely. But a 17x9 with a similar offset probably won’t clear even though (I think) you can run the same 245 tire.
Unfortunately a stock Barracuda front fender has less lower front clearance than it's A-Body brothers and sisters... Should have trimmed some out before painting...

So I bought a tools from Speedway to be able adjust and measure backspace and clearances. Pictured below.
245/45/ZR17 doesn't clear the lower front corner of the fender until I moved the backspace so far inward that the wheel would likely rub the tie rod.

This is set up for 8" wide rim. Tire is a 245/45zr17 Riken Raptor which has very square shoulders that add to the lack of clearance. This is with what I think would be a safe backspace at 5.25" That's 1" more backspace than the Year One 17x8 -6mm offset, 4.25" backspace.
73 A-Body Disc Spindles, 11.75" rotors, one piece hub/rotor
1701572387663.png

1701572615844.png

1701572596780.png

We'll try 225/45/17 with the our current wheels just to get it on all 4 wheels and on the ground.
They will still be close to rubbing but we will most likely end up trimming a little out of the fenders so we can keep the rallye wheels and go back to 245/45/17
My painter said it would be an easy fix. Just cut out a narrow pie slice, weld it back, weld, bit of body work and paint. Will give us more wheel/tire options in the future too.
1701585279403.png

245/40R17 is an inch shorter (24.7" vs. 25.7 for the 245/45 or 25" for the 225/45)....would the 1/2" reduction in radius give enough clearance w/o the bodywork?

-
Back