17 year old kid tried to buy my bracket racer :(

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
Doesn't sit easy with me, I replied to his email and explained to him that I do not think it's a good idea for him to have the car and told him that his parents will have to be present and sign some sort of disclaimer that I am not responsible for whatever he does with the car and that he will need to learn how to handle it.... I really feel it's way too much car for a hormone charged teenager... I further pointed out that it's not currently street legal...

I'm thinking I'm going to have to tell him no... I know there are some young guys here who are 17 that know properly how to handle cars like this, are responsible... but I don't know this kid and I always check emails on facebook/myspace/google to make sure they are not a bot before I reply to them... and it tells me he's 17.... =/ What say you guys?

If he's 17 and able to afford it without Daddy's help then He probably has his S%#t together. Pick his brain a bit and then decide. I respect you for your concern. BTW My Son has a wicked fast V8 BMW and he is incredibly careful and safe when he drives. I let him drive the Dart without even thinking twice. All Kids are different.

If you feel in any way that some serious **** is going to happen,say NO,and be done with it.But he could get a 19 year old friend to buy the car and then resell it to him.I would check out what he drives now,if its a 4 cylinder civic,and he has never driven any thing else,we have a problem.I would sell the car to the parents and let them deal with the kid and the problem after they signed the letter of intent,and the use of the car.If **** happens after,your *** is coverd,and you are clear.The parents know what they bought and the kid,the screwed up,not my problem,mrmopartech

if he's 17 and you don't get his parent's signature you could be in big trouble if something goes wrong- not to mention the fact that his parents could get the deal reversed if they want to (since you can't enter into a contract with a minor).

Either way, make sure the parents are involved if he's a minor- CYA.

Could just be wanting to go for a joy ride then tell you that he's not interested. It happened to me once.

if he's 17 and you don't get his parent's signature you could be in big trouble if something goes wrong- not to mention the fact that his parents could get the deal reversed if they want to (since you can't enter into a contract with a minor).

Either way, make sure the parents are involved if he's a minor- CYA.

x2 You can't deal with minors. You can get in big trouble!

whomever you sell the car to, get a notarized bill of sale and title in their name before it is a done deal....you are liable for the mess if your name is still on the title

A whole lot of 17 year olds are more responsible than 21 year olds. But, I agree make sure his parents are involved and you sign it over to one of them.

Glad I'm getting solid advice, I didn't think to make sure the parents put it in their name, instead of him. Alls I thought was to just make sure they sign a disclaimer and release of interests that I am not responsible in any way or form for what he uses it for or how and that it would be their responsibility... But he still hasn't gotten back to me, probably really was a joy ride.

Get the parents involved big time. You sound like the kind of buy that would feel pretty bad it the kid got hurt or worse killed in a HP car you sold him. I would talk to te folks money or not. What if it's drug money? You could loose the car and the money to the FBI.
Be careful

i say take a drive with him in it (or in something else) and see if he knows how to handle it and if he is a good and responsible driver. also if he cant register it without work to it than it might give him a bit more respect for it after HES done the work to it to get it street legal.

Sell to the parents.

Never sell anything of significance to a minor as they are considered "not of majority" (age) and can rescind the contract at ANY time afterwards claiming such. He takes it, blows it up, drops it on your doorstep and wants money back = YOU LOSE.

Maturity has nothing to do with this. It's a black and white age issue according to contract law.

look what Hulk Hogan's kid did - got into drifting and driving high dollar race cars as a 15/16 y/o - then went out with a buddy - crashed the
celica supra - put buddy into coma

if he's 17, he can't own property in Montana. He can't buy the car from you legally. There's no way I'd attempt to do any sale to him. His parents maybe, but steer clear of dealing with a minor.

sell to the parents.

Never sell anything of significance to a minor as they are considered "not of majority" (age) and can rescind the contract at any time afterwards claiming such. He takes it, blows it up, drops it on your doorstep and wants money back = you lose.

Maturity has nothing to do with this. It's a black and white age issue according to contract law.

^^^this^^^

He hasn't gotten back to me, either way even if he did, even if it means money I'm going to say no. Just too much a hassle, too much bs.

Glad You all were not around when I bought my first car at age 12.Title transfered without a problem...I do agree nowadays that a form to protect you is necessary and to put it in the parents name would be wise.
What happened to the good OLD days...

In Minnesota, you can't own a car unless you are 18. Your parents can buy it and you can drive it, but it has to be registered in their name.

you can not legally sell a car to a minor, without the parents permission, as has been stated here
not quite as bad as selling them alcohol tobacco and firearms
but you could still get in a mess of trouble

If it was me and his parents were the ones signing the bill of sale, why not? Isn't there somebody here with a car doing a wheelie - and it's their first car? That spells youngster to me.

Kids ride fast dirt bikes. Give them some credit. But again, get the parents to sign the bill of sale. Probably their moolah anyways unless the kid came into moolah and wants to drive the rod on the street.

He hasn't gotten back to me, either way even if he did, even if it means money I'm going to say no. Just too much a hassle, too much bs.

That sounds like the safest idea possible to me. Better safe than sorry. No matter the situation.I remember how I drove at 17 and its not worth it. ](*,)

-
Back