170 is dead, will 225 fit my trans????

-

Old Dart

Reaction score
Hi from PEI, I have a 68 dart with a badly worn 170, I would like to find a 225 but not at the expense of purchasing a new trans and rear end. Wondering if a 225 will simply bolt up where my 170 was or what I need to do to make it fit?? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

Any '68 or later slant-6 will bolt right to your transmission. If the engine you use is from something other than a '67-up A-body, swap your original oil pan and pickup. The exhaust headpipe will be lifted 1" higher and may hit the car's floor depending on how much clearance it has (and how sagged out the engine mounts were the last time the headpipe was replaced); you may need to add a flange spacer between the exhaust manifold outlet and the headpipe flange.

Any '68 or later slant-6 will bolt right to your transmission. If the engine you use is from something other than a '67-up A-body, swap your original oil pan and pickup. The exhaust headpipe will be lifted 1" higher and may hit the car's floor depending on how much clearance it has (and how sagged out the engine mounts were the last time the headpipe was replaced); you may need to add a flange spacer between the exhaust manifold outlet and the headpipe flange.

Dan,
I needed an aftermarket flexplate for my race car, a 1964 225" /6 with a 904 that is 1968-up as far as the input shaft (27 spline) is concerned.

I tried to buy a /6 flex plate for a 904 and B & M doesn't make one.

What they do make is a 6-bolt crank flange flexplate for a 340 forged crank motor that THEY CONTEND, is only for a 727.

I ordered one, anyway, and the crank bolt pattern was only "wrong" on 1 bolt, so I re-drilled it in the /6 location.

Now, this flexplate has three (3) sets of converter attaching bolt locations. One of them fits my 904 converter perfectly (10"-dia. measured across the face of the converter).

Since it now fits the crank bolt holes AND fits the converter bolt holes, I can't see where the problem is gonna be in bolting it up to the 904. The "dish" dimensions are the same, as for as the offset goes.

What else is there? It has no balance isssues, being for a neutral (internal-balance) forged 340 crank.

I called B & M and the guy I talked to was uninformed to say the least; he only knew that the catalog said it was for a 727.

I think their catalog is wrong, What do you think???

I don't know for certain one way or the other, but I can't find any fault with your logic. Seems to me if you can make it fit properly, it should work fine.

Slantsixdan is the man! Prevented me from buying a slant 6 that was not going to accomplish my goal of replacement in my 68 Dart. Thx again my friend.

-
Back