18" Wheel help

-
Those should work. I like a lot of the XXR designs, but can't stand the double drilled bolt pattern. It wouldn't be so bad if they made plugs for the holes that aren't in use.

Just need to double drill the hubs and add 5 more studs each.

:rofl:

The only way I'm doing that is if the other 5 studs have pointy colored lug nuts.

:rofl:

Make sure they are 6" long or longer, too.

At the same time, the 4x4 guys are always talking about putting 8 lug axles under their trucks. A 10 lug setup would be the bomb.

Post your wheel and tire combos.

So i found this Demon and really like how it looks. It says it has disc fronts and a stock 8.75 with drums, same as mine.
Is 4.5 enough backspacing for the fronts? I would rather use an 8" front wheel,not a 7". The Rear shows 9.5 with 5.25 back space.
Looks like everything clears fine from the pics.
Thoughts? I thought i needed more backspacing in the front and or rear too.

Post your wheel and tire combos.

So i found this Demon and really like how it looks. It says it has disc fronts and a stock 8.75 with drums, same as mine.
Is 4.5 enough backspacing for the fronts? I would rather use an 8" front wheel,not a 7". The Rear shows 9.5 with 5.25 back space.
Looks like everything clears fine from the pics.
Thoughts? I thought i needed more backspacing in the front and or rear too.

If you want to use a 8” wheel up front you need more than 4.5” of backspace if you want to actually use the rim width to run more tire. Realistically you need at least 5” of backspace on an 8” rim in the front to make running the 8” worthwhile vs a 7” wide rim. That Demon is only running a 225/45/17 front, so that’s only a 25” tall wheel and the specs are taken from a 7.5” wide measuring rim, so on a 7” rim the section will be a bit narrower than the spec.

In the back with stock spring locations the 5.25” backspace is a good set up for an 18x9.5”. You can’t run much more backspace than that without a spring offset of some kind.

I went back and looked at that summit wheel selection again, I’m not sure why the Summit page shows the 18x9.5” wheel with a backspace of 5.54” as an offset of +20mm. That backspace on a 9.5” wide wheel is a +7mm offset.

If you want to use a 8” wheel up front you need more than 4.5” of backspace if you want to actually use the rim width to run more tire. Realistically you need at least 5” of backspace on an 8” rim in the front to make running the 8” worthwhile vs a 7” wide rim. That Demon is only running a 225/45/17 front, so that’s only a 25” tall wheel and the specs are taken from a 7.5” wide measuring rim, so on a 7” rim the section will be a bit narrower than the spec.

In the back with stock spring locations the 5.25” backspace is a good set up for an 18x9.5”. You can’t run much more backspace than that without a spring offset of some kind.

I went back and looked at that summit wheel selection again, I’m not sure why the Summit page shows the 18x9.5” wheel with a backspace of 5.54” as an offset of +20mm. That backspace on a 9.5” wide wheel is a +7mm offset.
XXR 559 Flat Graphite Wheels 5x4.5 - 18x8.5 +20 - 559886696

These are an 8.5 wide wheel with a +20 offset so i think they should work front and rear.
Plus they kind of look like a pitchfork, lol

XXR 559 Flat Graphite Wheels 5x4.5 - 18x8.5 +20 - 559886696

These are an 8.5 wide wheel with a +20 offset so i think they should work front and rear.
Plus they kind of look like a pitchfork, lol

So I think they’ll work, in the front if you go past a 245 wide tire they’ll end up sticking out too far (farther than my 275’s).

In the back you’ll probably need a small spacer to clear the springs.

But for a compromise to run the same rim front and back that’s about as close as it gets.

Last edited:
So I think they’ll work, in the front if you go past a 245 wide tire they’ll end up sticking out too far (father than my 275’s).

In the back you’ll probably need a small spacer to clear the springs.

But for a compromise to run the same rim front and back that’s about as close as it gets.
Would a 255-40 rear tire work? I was looking at the Nitto NT555g2 but they don't have a 255-40 for the rear.
I was thinking 245-40 for the front.

Last edited:
What about @BergmanAutoCraft wheels on the dart on his home page? I've always like the look of those. Not sure what his his setup is tho.

Screenshot_20240517-120557.png

Would a 255-40 rear tire work? I was looking at the Nitto NT555g2 but they don't have a 255-40 for the rear.
I was thinking 245-40 for the front.

A 255/40/18 should work fine, again, maybe a small spacer needed.

A 245/40/18 should work in the front, that would about the maximum for fender clearance with that set of rims

Those wheels are a replica of a Mustang wheel, I think the closest to your picture is probably this one although it's a dark matte charcoal...

Mustang AMR Charcoal Wheel; 18x8 (10-14 Mustang, Excluding 13-14 GT500) - Free Shipping

There are a bunch of wheels from different manufacturers though that are similar.

The problem you're going to have is getting the front and rear sorted out together. You won't have any issues finding offsets that fit the front, the +30mm offset available on the AMR wheels would work great in the front and in general the modern wheels are pretty easy to find in +30 and +35mm offsets.

The problem is it won't work in the back with a stock A-body rear end. The 18x9 is also a +30, so that makes the backspace ~6.1". And in 9 and 9.5" wide wheels the most common offsets in wheels like that are still like +30 to +40. But with a BBP A body 8 3/4 and the stock spring locations the offset you'd need is more like a +12.

There are also these, they have an 18x8.5 +35 for the front and an 18x9 +15 for the back that would likely work. The hub bore on the rear is going to be tight, but it should work in the rear only. Again, they're a graphite color. Konig offers the wheels in a darker color, but I couldn't find them in the right size/offset

Konig AMPLIFORM Wheel 18x8.5 (35, 5x114.3, 73.1) Graphite Single Rim | eBay

Konig AMPLIFORM Wheel 18x9 (15, 5x114.3, 71.5) Graphite Single Rim | eBay
Will the Konigs fit a stock Mopar hub or do they need to be widened out?

Will the Konigs fit a stock Mopar hub or do they need to be widened out?

So it looks like those Konigs have different hub bores depending on the width of the wheel. The 73.1mm bore will fir over the Mopar hub, but it depends on how thick the wheel is at the mount and how much the hub bore tapers to the wheel cap. The 71.5mm size will need to be opened up.

It’s hard to know even for the 73.1mm bore, that’s the same as my RPF1’s. They needed to be bored because they tapered to a 65mm cap and the wheel mounting area is thin so the hub has to protrude completely through the wheel. So it really depends on the construction of the individual wheel.

So it looks like those Konigs have different hub bores depending on the width of the wheel. The 73.1mm bore will fir over the Mopar hub, but it depends on how thick the wheel is at the mount and how much the hub bore tapers to the wheel cap. The 71.5mm size will need to be opened up.

It’s hard to know even for the 73.1mm bore, that’s the same as my RPF1’s. They needed to be bored because they tapered to a 65mm cap and the wheel mounting area is thin so the hub has to protrude completely through the wheel. So it really depends on the construction of the individual wheel.
Hmmm... I'm in the same boat the the OP. Stock A-Body 8 3/4 with stock spring location, and stock front discs (actually changed over to 11.75"). I want to run 255/40/18 on the front and 275/40/18 on the back. Seems like my options are bore out some wheels or try to find some Mopar specific wheels with the correct offsets. Any other options (different front hubs, etc)?

There really aren’t any “Mopar specific” wheels in anything close to those sizes, just aftermarket wheels with generic center bores. As far as hubs, you won’t do much better for the factory spindles. The DoctorDiff aluminum hubs are basically copies of factory BBP hubs minus the rotors. Baer hubs are very similar. Wilwood hubs have even larger diameter hub snouts.

It’s very wheel specific too. I have Vision Legend 5’s on my Challenger in 17x9”, they have a larger hub bore but even if they had a 73.1mm bore (fairly standard for aftermarket wheels) they’d work fine because they’re quite thick at the mounting face, so the Mopar hub doesn’t protrude. But a lot of wheels are like my RPF’s and are thin there, so the hub has to protrude through the hub bore completely. And some wheels will allow that but then need different wheel caps to cover the hub.

This is a set of the Vision wheels in 18”, they appear to only offer an 18x8.5” in grey but have an 18x9.5” in black. But they offer multiple offsets, so you could run these in the front with a 255

Grey
Vision Wheel 142-8865GM32 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gunmetal Wheels | Summit Racing

Black
Vision Wheel 142-8865GB20 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gloss Black Wheels | Summit Racing

and then these in the back

Grey (would have to be a 255, as a 275 needs a 9” wheel in that size)
Vision Wheel 142-8865GM10 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gunmetal Wheels | Summit Racing

black (would work with a 275 but would need a small spacer)
Vision Wheel 142-8965GB12 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gloss Black Wheels | Summit Racing

The other thing is, you didn’t mention if you have a Duster/demon/dart sport/barracuda or a Dart/Scamp/valiant. If you don’t have a sport body car you won’t fit 275’s in the back without moving the springs, the Dart/Scamp/Valiants have 1” less room in the quarters.

There really aren’t any “Mopar specific” wheels in anything close to those sizes, just aftermarket wheels with generic center bores. As far as hubs, you won’t do much better for the factory spindles. The DoctorDiff aluminum hubs are basically copies of factory BBP hubs minus the rotors. Baer hubs are very similar. Wilwood hubs have even larger diameter hub snouts.

It’s very wheel specific too. I have Vision Legend 5’s on my Challenger in 17x9”, they have a larger hub bore but even if they had a 73.1mm bore (fairly standard for aftermarket wheels) they’d work fine because they’re quite thick at the mounting face, so the Mopar hub doesn’t protrude. But a lot of wheels are like my RPF’s and are thin there, so the hub has to protrude through the hub bore completely. And some wheels will allow that but then need different wheel caps to cover the hub.

This is a set of the Vision wheels in 18”, they appear to only offer an 18x8.5” in grey but have an 18x9.5” in black. But they offer multiple offsets, so you could run these in the front with a 255

Grey
Vision Wheel 142-8865GM32 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gunmetal Wheels | Summit Racing

Black
Vision Wheel 142-8865GB20 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gloss Black Wheels | Summit Racing

and then these in the back

Grey (would have to be a 255, as a 275 needs a 9” wheel in that size)
Vision Wheel 142-8865GM10 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gunmetal Wheels | Summit Racing

black (would work with a 275 but would need a small spacer)
Vision Wheel 142-8965GB12 Vision American Muscle 142 Legend 5 Series Machined Lip Gloss Black Wheels | Summit Racing

The other thing is, you didn’t mention if you have a Duster/demon/dart sport/barracuda or a Dart/Scamp/valiant. If you don’t have a sport body car you won’t fit 275’s in the back without moving the springs, the Dart/Scamp/Valiants have 1” less room in the quarters.
Its a 74 Dart Sport so there's a bit more room in the rear. I remember you mentioning something about 10" wide wheels working better with the A-body rear. Would that work with the stock spring location?

-
Back