[Found!] 19/32 Oil Galley Plugs

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are the plugs I'm looking for.

DSC07819 B2.jpg

I think they are 19/32 if your doing the ring around for some.

U don’t need them. The factory never used them. Less of course u want to use them for piece of mind. Kim

I did not realize that. I am following a "How To" section on here to assemble a small block and the article pointed out a potential issue with oil pressure if left out.

See below:

Oil Galley Cup Plugs:

For this build the block that we started with had the oil galley plugs in the front of the block next to the cam already out... I have had a bad experience with my first engine that the machine shop left these out and I had to find out why my oil pressure was too low... It turned out to be these two plugs that go behind the camshaft thrust plate were left out, so I always make sure that all of my blocks have these... (I had to pull the engine and tear it down 4 times before finding the problem - so now I check for them every time...)

dsc07819-b-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I did not realize that. I am following a "How T" section on here to assemble a small block and the article pointed out a potential issue with oil pressure if left out.

See below:

Oil Galley Cup Plugs:

For this build the block that we started with had the oil galley plugs in the front of the block next to the cam already out... I have had a bad experience with my first engine that the machine shop left these out and I had to find out why my oil pressure was too low... It turned out to be these two plugs that go behind the camshaft thrust plate were left out, so I always make sure that all of my blocks have these... (I had to pull the engine and tear it down 4 times before finding the problem - so now I check for them every time...)

View attachment 1715767861
I have never used them, but my engines were from the 60's and early 70's.

There never was. The plate was milled flat as was the mating surface on the block. In 1972 there would have been an attaching bolt, top left as you are looking at the block, with a hole through the middle to get extra oil to the double roller chain timing set.

There never was. The plate was milled flat as was the mating surface on the block. In 1972 there would have been an attaching bolt, top left as you are looking at the block, with a hole through the middle to get extra oil to the double roller chain timing set.

Mine does have the bolt with hole. Plugging these must not be that popular. I haven't found much discussion on them except in the in assembly How To Article
on here

My advice would be to use them, have seen issues with oil pressure without them. Summit has a few left in stock #MEL-MPC-54

Here is a frost plug package on ebay that has them. By the time some other member ships you 2 of the small plugs they will have 1/2 the price of this kit invovled and then there is their time for packaging and shipping them out too.
Small Block MOPAR DODGE BRASS FREEZE FROST PLUG KIT 273 318 340 360.png

als499 out of Zumbrota MN has them, have dealt with him personally, good guy.

Small Block MOPAR DODGE BRASS FREEZE FROST PLUG KIT 273 318 340 360 408 SB | eBay

other sellers on ebay too, some with free ship. Your local hardware store may have some of these plugs over in their specialty fasteners area too.

Putting them in the engines I am building, have a 1970 318 block with them in upon tear down.

Here is the 360 I am now building.

20210715_221813.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back