1958 Hemi 392

-

JohnBeGood

Reaction score
Whats the latest and better way to install this in a 68-69 fastback barracuda? Tubular front end? Motor will be blown! I would think that it would be to much weight up front...

Drop it off at my house. You won't have to worry about a thing. :D
You are probably right-I dont want to spend my retirement money to do this kind of project! I will just find a different car that would work better than an A Body.

An assembled dry 392 weighs about 750 pounds. Throw the hideous timing cover and water pump in the ditch. Get the Hot Heads timing cover and run a big block Chevy water pump. Bam, you just lost about 45 pounds.Get a Hot Heads aluminum intake and you lose another 25 or so. The weight is really not an issue.

If you have your heart set on a 392, grab a 318, bore it to 3.950", and stroke it 4" and you'll have a 392 Wedge (what I am planning out) and you'll still be able to read and follow RRR's hot rod bliss thread. Because 318s are just too cool for most people, and they have to settle for 340s and 360s.

Yeah but then he loses the Hemi status.

Whats the latest and better way to install this in a 68-69 fastback barracuda? Tubular front end? Motor will be blown! I would think that it would be to much weight up front...
I put a 392 in a 63 Valiant using a mustang front end, vary tight fit, boat style pan, a lot of engine compartment alterations and blood.
Hemidan

392 in a '68 Dart...

875adbb1e62c9bdc593717a672a99c6d.jpg

You can put the 392 in but it will take a Lot of fab work . The Pinto ft. end works well if you can weld . The tubular ft. end will work also but pricey . I used a stock pinto with a lot of bracing on my car . The hemi in the car has a blower on it which adds about 100 lbs to the weight , but the motor in it was moved back 10 inches . I have seen it done but no one has posted pics on what it takes .
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG

Ears on the side of the Early Hemi block are the same as an A motor. Just bolt it in with normal 273/318 mounts

Negative. You have to swap the "ear" on one side of the 318 mounts. Other than that, you are correct. I can take a picture, if you like.

Hmmmm,...I can only hope when I finally find a '58 Crown Imperial convertible I can afford, it doesn't have a 2bbl.400B in it w/ '59 mounts 'cause the 392's in an A body w/
Furd parts instead of where it belongs..............

You don't build one of these to be well balanced. You will need to cut and weld - it's not bolt in. But that's what you do to get it in there...lol. Do it and you're a god at any cruise night.

-
Back