1960-1962 Valiant/Lancer thread

-
Hi guys, I'm new 'round here. Want to learn a bit about first-generation Valiants before buying one, to serve me as a summer daily driver. I'll be lurking around these forums and may jump in with a comment now and then.

hope some photos upload.
here is the lancer gt i just picked up a few weeks ago. 49,000 miles aluminum slant six, offy intake edelbrock 500 cfl, comp cams, and dutra duals. somewhat of a barn find, been sitting for 7+ years. needs lots of minor things, but the list is getting smaller.
in need of a pushbutton shifter assy for it currently, the neutral shifter rod os broken. any help in locating would be appreciated.

the photos wouldn't upload. too many kb's? don't know how to make them smaller. i'm a grease monkey, not a techy !!!

hey hyper pack, that would be great. i should be able to get that done, . i just got a new cell phone camera combo, and the camera is 8 megapixel. i had the cell phone shop reduce the resolution. i think they set it at vga?, but i think still too many kb's.
i was going to mess with that stuff today, but spent all day in the shop. guess i would rather be working on my rides. would love to share some pics of the lancer, as it is in incredible condition. i am doing a survivor type restoration on it, and closing in on it, although you are never done. it's a sickness that i have.
get me your email address, and i will send you some.
thanks a bunch for the offer,
Chuck

trying to up load a pic that i think i was able to resize. if this works, i will do some more when i get time

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 759
Anyone have a spare heater box for a 62 valiant? The mechanic I had work on my car broke mine.

yes,
i don't know what they were thinking when they designed that heater box location. you have to remove it to get the valve cover off!!.
anyways, if you have all the pieces, you can fix it. it is just fiberglass, and can be repaired.

Don't have all the pieces, and the mechanic was supposed to fiberglass it and get it back to me almost 2 months ago. Still haven't seen it.

i hate it when people don't get things done that they should. if you have the basic structure there, it shouldn't be too bad of a job to repair it.
i am relatively new to the early a bodies, and not too sure of the interchangability, with other years and models. i am pretty sure that the 62 valiant and dodge lancer would be the same, but other than that, i'm not sure what else would fit. i am having the same issues with trying to find a pushbutton shifter assy for my 62 lancer, some people say many are the same unit, and others say that they changed it in 62.
good luck

hope some photos upload.
here is the lancer gt i just picked up a few weeks ago. 49,000 miles aluminum slant six, offy intake edelbrock 500 cfl, comp cams, and dutra duals. somewhat of a barn find, been sitting for 7+ years. needs lots of minor things, but the list is getting smaller.
in need of a pushbutton shifter assy for it currently, the neutral shifter rod os broken. any help in locating would be appreciated.

Here are pictures of the 62 GT!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 682
  • 7.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 683
  • 8.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 661
  • 11.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 669
many thanks to hyper_pak for fixing and posting the pictures for me. i try hard, but have problems with the puter technology.

Hell---let's talk about that car in your avatar! :prayer: 41 Plymouth?

hey bembry,
i don't want to waste space on this forum with old hotrods, but as long as you brought it up:
yes it is my 41 plymee
bought it from my brother inlaw about 7 years ago out of arizona. originally a cali. car. it is absolutely rust free buisness coupe. genuine tijuana interior. was bone stock other than the interior when i got it. i have since repainted with hotrod black, installed a mopar 8 3/4 posi rear (3:23) went to rack and pinion steering, and front disc brakes. put in a warmed up 225 slant six. my engine builder was shooting for 300 hp. lots of head work and porting manifolds, and compression raised to 10:1, offy 4 bbl intake with a 500 edelbrock, split the exh manifold, and aluminized. mated to a a-833 od trans. it is just my fun car, and i drive it as much as possible actually just last week here in wisconsin. no snow yet. done for winter now. i have had my share of high h.p. hotrods, including blowers, nitrous etc, all with s.b. chevs. but had my fun with them and all the shows, just wanted a driver fun car that i can take anyplace. the plymee fills the bill 80 all day long on the interstate, and 20 mpg!
it's one of those cars that i will never be done with as i can't leave it alone.
can't wait till summer for some cruzing

Anyone here notice the eBay listing for a '62 Signet, a couple of weeks ago? It was a straight, solid (except floors, of course), original white paint, red interior car, located in northern California. The owner had started to turn it into a dragster (why do so many of the early Valiants end up that way?). Without butchering anything, he'd installed bolt-in engine mounts and a 440 from an Imperial. Happily, he lost interest at that point and was offloading it.

There was a reserve but only two bids brought it from an opening of $399 to just $404 when it closed. I sent him a message through eBay, suggesting I'd like to buy it in the spring, but he told me that it did finally sell.

Oh well, there will be others.

I'm just going to have to pull this up to the top, if I'm going to get any regular conversation running about our favourite Road Toads.

Great colour scheme on this '62 Signet - beige with bronze inserts in the fender trim and a light metallic bronze interior. Not sure it's original - I thought this model only came in red, white, black, and maybe blue. Am I dreaming?

Can anyone recommend a reliable reference for Valiant paint and upholstery options?

Attachments

• 1962 VALIANT SIGNET.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 605
glad you restarted things. i was just poking around the other day, as i didn't know the name for the color of white that my 62 lancer is. found all the 62 paint options for dodge by searching "62 dodge paint colors"

Does anyone have the trim that goes around the grille on a 62 Valiant that they might part with?

glad you restarted things

Jeez, it's not easy keeping this Road Toad thread current. They're posted elsewhere, but here's a couple of views of my new-to-me '62 Signet.

Attachments

• Front 3:4.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 522
  • Rear.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 470
  • Instrument panel.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 473
I hate the road toad reference, but I will talk Lancers and Valiants with you till the cows come home!

Attachments

• SignValiant.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 475
Sweet car! Interesting colours - mint green with a red interior. Original, do you think? I notice that the trunk lid emblems on your sedan and my Signet are different. Your's has VALIANT in a chrome band and mine has a big V. Model variations, I guess.

I'll back off on further amphibious references, although I like that these very attractive cars do resemble a Texas horned toad (which is really a lizard, not a toad).

-
Back