1960 Valiant front disc brake conversion help needed

-

Will K

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm sorry to say that in terms of my experience and knowledge I'm more Ford guy than Mopar. But I have inherited a 1960 Plymouth Valiant which was originally bought new by my great grandmother and has stayed in the family. My dad passed about 5 years ago in the midst of a brake project, and I took the parts he had acquired and put everything together after going through a bit of figuring out because he had bought wheel cylinders and brake shoes and hardware to convert to self-adjusters.

A few brake bleeding attempts later, I concluded that where I thought he had replaced the master cylinder, maybe not, because that seemed to be where it was leaking. I decided it would be a good time to upgrade to a later dual master cylinder, which I bought a new one for that purpose.

And then I decided this may be a car my son might potentially drive occasionally, and I decided to go with a Scarebird disc brake conversion. Trying to keep it low cost...

Along the way I've learned things the hard way, such as the left hand thread studs and the peened over studs that open up holes if you go brute force and press them out hydraulically, and then the difficulty of finding wheels with the 5x4" bolt circle.

I really feel like I could use someone that knows these suspensions to tell me about my options. I am going up in size to 14" wheels and I've acquired 4 steel wheels off of 1967 and 1970 Dodge Dart cars I've found in a junkyard in northern Michigan. Unfortunately one of those wheels was rusted through at the outer bead, I've gotta look for another one.

Here's where the help I need comes in: my 1960 Valiant 9" drum brake hubs are no good. I reamed out the holes and had to use studs with larger splines, but these aren't long enough to use with the disc brakes from the Scarebird conversion. I have a pair of front hubs from a 1967 Dart, but it had 10" drum brakes - so it uses larger bearings and isn't a bolt on for my 1960 spindle.

My northern Michigan junkyard has 3 or 4 early Plymouth Valiants, but I don't know if any of them will have viable hubs. I know on one car, the suspension has been removed. I know on one or two others the front end is partially embedded in the ground. Yes if I find one, that solves my issues. I'm not counting on it.

Is there any combination of parts that can bolt on from the 1967 with 10" drum brakes? (even if it means I'll have to get a different Scarebird disc brake conversion bracket) (or other options I might look for)

Well, you have a Mopar that even most Mopar people don't know much about. I've never owned one myself, but have read that the 60-61 front suspensions are different than 62 and up. Makes it harder to swap in later stuff. And all 60-61's will have nine inch brakes, too. Now - I believe a 63-66 K frame will swap in, and then you can use upper and lower control arms, as well as spindles, from 62-72. If I'm wrong, hopefully some one will correct me. That will give you broader and more easily swapped brake choices. Nine inch drums are marginal in today's traffic. Ten inch drums are OK with a stock motor. Discs are better. Factory 14 inch A body Ralley wheels will fit. They are 5.5 inches wide. Pressed steel wheels with the small bolt circle come in 4.5 and 5.5 inch widths. For $$$, Cragars are available in 14 and 15 inch versions. There are a few other aftermarket options.

Do you know what about the 60-61 front suspension that's different? I've done some searching and seen the upper ball joint is common but the lower isn't. That's as much as I can tell.

For what it's worth, I completed my trip to my northern Michigan junkyard and acquired a pair of front hub and 9" braked drums. 1 came from a 61 plymouth valiant suburban station wagon, the other came from a Dart Custom. I think probably around 1970, I don't really know my Mopar, but I did see that it had 13" wheels so I felt that it probably would have 9" brakes.

My choices were heavily driven by accessibility. There's at least 4 more hubs for 9" brakes in there if you bring a weedwhacker, cordless hedge trimmer, shovel and or forklift. The dart i got my second hub was too far gone to lift with a jack.

20220909_131053.jpg

Unless I find out there are variants of wheel hubs for 9" brake drums, the next thing I'm going to need to figure out is if the dual master cylinder I bought is going to work or I need to get a different one, and what I need to do for proportioning valve. There is a 1974 Valiant in the local u-pick which I was figuring I'd grab the distribution block/proportioning valve or whatever if I'm able today.

Along with that, I've read that my single master cylinder pedal may not work properly with the dual master cylinder setup... Should I be grabbing the pedal from this 1974 Valiant as well perhaps? I may just grab everything anyway since the price is right.

Control arms can be swapped on from a later A-body. You will not need to change to a different brake pedal, no. Follow advice here in re swapping to a dual master cylinder. Beyond that, you'll want to figure out just exactly what brakes you want to wind up with and then work on collecting the right parts.

Last edited:
-
Back