1963-69 starter question, and it's a good one...

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Good evening:

Let's see if anyone knows or pretends to know the answer to a question I will include near the end of this post. First, some factual information-

At least as far back as 1962 and lasting through most of the 1969 model year, Chrysler equipped vehicles that had automatic transmissions and manual transmissions using small-diameter clutches with gear-reduction starters. Large-diameter clutches got a direct-drive starter. What most people may not know is that there were two different starters used depending on whether the vehicle had a 170 cid Slant Six.

Part # 2095150 is the very common unit used on everything except a 170 Slant. 225 Slant, 318, 361, 383 413, 426 Hemi..it all got the 2095150. Part # 2098500 is the unit used on the 170 Slant only, 1963-69. Someone said in '63 everything used this starter, but per the parts book that appears to be incorrect.

Here's where it gets interesting...

2095150 is a 3-series/1-shunt starter motor. That means it has 4 field coils per se, with 3 coils in series and 1 used as a shunt. A shunt coil is used primarily to limit the speed of an electric motor to prevent damage from overspeeding. Someone with more electrical knowledge than I can explain it better. I think this design is called a compound motor.

2098500 is a 4-series motor with no shunt. It's rated speed is 1000 rpm faster than the 2095150 starter and that's accurate...I have one.

In practice, the 2095150 is a slower-turning, quieter starter since it does not have the overrun even if you hold the key. The downside is that if you have a heat-soaked engine or a very cold engine, you are leaning on the key a long time. The 2098500 as i stated turns the engine much faster, with noticeable overrun. The upside is a faster-starting engine. That unit spins almost as fast as one of the later 3755900 starters.

The question: Why use a faster-spinning starter on a smaller displacement engine?

Smaller engine - shorter stroke.
That statement is dependent on v8 vs /6 ?

I’m spit balling here. I bet slantsixdan knows.

The lower the compression the faster it must spin to make good cranking pressure. Just like the old crank starts. If you had high compression engine on a good firing stroke will start with one burp. Once the compression is down you have to crank your nuts off and get her spinning.

So why did the Hemi have a direct drive starter?

Only ever seen one. I bought a 64 Dart and it had a direct drive.
It sure looked out of place. Original ? Maybe.. But doubt it.

So why did the Hemi have a direct drive starter?
Maybe the 143 tooth flywheel instead of the 130 tooth in the later hydraulic cam Hemi's. And also low cranking pressure due to the larger mechanical cam with wider lobe separation. Who knows, Mopar did some weird things for different reasons and we'll never know why.

-
Back