1963 Dodge Dart 440 727 install.

-
I have no idea if a clutchfan set up will clear with a belt driven pump but there was room to put a pusher infront of the radiator. Only like a single 16 . If you are going electric you really need a dual fan set up which will take up a lot of room. If the fans aren't drawing 35 to 40 amps they are junk. You will.probably need to upgrade the cars electrical system to put out enough amps at idle with the accessories running. You can cut the radiator support to put a bigger radiator in. I have 1 that goes from factory frame rail to frame rail.

Thank you, did you happen to take photos along the way?
i have one of the finished engine bay, that's all i took of the install i'm afraid.
neil.
1711487283935.png

this is a jaguar xj6 clutch fan on a machined up mounting piece. i bolted it up when fitting the 383 with big block 'a' body radiator in my 68 valiant. plenty of clearance i'd say.
neil.

1711487365798.png

The early A cars just suffer with way too little room for that large 440. I have owned and raced a 65 dart/440 combo since 1981. A lot of work, but the best solution, is a different front suspension system of some sort. A Mustang 2 aftermarket kit will allow much more room. Subframe ties and a simple rollcage plus that M2 front suspension, and you can then build some headers that WILL WORK. The whole reason to put a 440 in an early A is to go faster, and strangling it with bad headers really hurts.
Consider going to a 400 or 383 based combo to get some room. Also study up on what a conversion to a Mustang 2 front suspension will do for you. Putting in subframe connecters is a virtual must to save the body, and the M2 suapension will solve a ton of head aches, including the bolt pattern, disc brake conversion, header room, radiater room, to name some.

Thank you, I used the Schumacher mounts in my 69 Barracuda for my RB as well. I was told that the tunnel needed to be cut out for the 727, hence my coming here for the inside track.
'69 Cudas and Darts came factory with 440 and auto. M code was it and NOT too many made. I never heard anything about them changing the floor for such. But early A's are way smaller there than 67-9 A's/

The early A cars just suffer with way too little room for that large 440. I have owned and raced a 65 dart/440 combo since 1981. A lot of work, but the best solution, is a different front suspension system of some sort. A Mustang 2 aftermarket kit will allow much more room. Subframe ties and a simple rollcage plus that M2 front suspension, and you can then build some headers that WILL WORK. The whole reason to put a 440 in an early A is to go faster, and strangling it with bad headers really hurts.
Consider going to a 400 or 383 based combo to get some room. Also study up on what a conversion to a Mustang 2 front suspension will do for you. Putting in subframe connecters is a virtual must to save the body, and the M2 suapension will solve a ton of head aches, including the bolt pattern, disc brake conversion, header room, radiater room, to name some.
i agree on needing more room. if a did another 440 into early A (did a '65 years ago) i'd fit a straight tube axle and lose the inner fenders.
but not everyone loves a gasser like me, currently doing a '58 rambler american gasser with an fe ford big block for me and a '66 (english) ford zephyr gasser with a 440/727 for our son.
neil.

Last edited:
i agree on needing more room. if a did another 440 into early A (did a '65 years ago) i'd fit a straight tube axle and lose the inner fenders.
but not everyone loves a gasser like me, currently doing a '58 rambler american gasser with an fe ford big block for me and a '63 (english) ford zephyr gasser with a 440/727 for our son.
neil.
I agree I love the gasser but not everyones cup of tea ( or beer or sodapop!).

I am sure IF researched here on FABO there is info on putting a 440 in a 63 Dart! I know people have put 383 in those to get the dist. away from firewall/wiper.

I also know people that have cut a small hole in inner fender to access a plug.

I agree I love the gasser but not everyones cup of tea ( or beer or sodapop!).

I am sure IF researched here on FABO there is info on putting a 440 in a 63 Dart! I know people have put 383 in those to get the dist. away from firewall/wiper.

I also know people that have cut a small hole in inner fender to access a plug.
i made fenderwell headers for the '65. you can reach under them for plug swaps easy, lol. you can even pull the heads with the motor in situ too.
neil.

i made fenderwell headers for the '65. you can reach under them for plug swaps easy, lol. you can even pull the heads with the motor in situ too.
neil.
To add to that, i moved the upper shock mounts out by fabbing up some weld on upper mounts, then to recess the fenderwell area back about three inches to gain turning radius, i cut out part of the wheelwell area in back and welded in a new piece of sheet metal, which created a fancy foot rest inside the car.

FB_IMG_1619960782830.jpg

I thought u have been threatening to put your rebuilt 400 in Vixen for the last couple of years. Get atter. Kim
It's not mine anymore, even though it's still here. Stephen Hotz bought it.

but not everyone loves a gasser like me, currently doing a '58 rambler american gasser with an fe ford big block for me and a '66 (english) ford zephyr gasser with a 440/727 for our son.
neil.
you can't just swing by and casually drop this information and waltz on outta here without some pics man!

-
Back