1964 Dart GT

-

DusterOff

1973 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
I've found a '64 Dart GT /6 225 push button. My question is, if I were to get it I would upgrade the engine but to what? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a nice driver with some power. What would be the easiest swap? Suggestions? Also, if I went to a different engine would I have to give up the push button transmission? The car is a second owner barn find from MA so it has some rust in the usual places and needs new paint, other than that its in great condition and I could probably pick it up for around $2250. Sound like a good price?

When I look at a car I ask several questions. Is it all there? Meaning not missing parts,trim, etc.What will it take to make it road worthy? What am I capable of? As far as, Can I perform the mechanical tasks needed for the end results? And last but not least what is my budget?.Yes it sounds like a $2,000 car for something that runs and drives.
As long as you stay with a slant you can reuse your push button tranny. In 1968-up the engines have a different crank register,BUT all you need is a adapter ring for this that is about $20.
You can make a slant perform quite well with a few up grades, BUT for the same or less money you can put a V8 in it. AGAIN What are you capable of?
I should have asked if this is you first classic car?
Finally if you are into a slant there is tons of info on slantsix.org
There you will find people that eat sleep and breath slant sixes.
What ever you decide, Have FUN.

There are small block pushbutton A904 transmissions out there, too. '64 and '65 only, IIRC.

Should be some 727s as well (from B Bodies, etc.), but not sure how well that would fit.

It is my second car. It runs and drives well and it is all there. There is a small crack in the exhaust manifold and that's the only problem. I'm capable of doing what needs to be done. So what are some engines that I could put in there and keep the push button?

It is my second car. It runs and drives well and it is all there. There is a small crack in the exhaust manifold and that's the only problem. I'm capable of doing what needs to be done. So what are some engines that I could put in there and keep the push button?

without changing the transmission your stuck with a /6 any year.
umm 67-68(I think it's 68 and up but not sure, ask the real knowledgeable people on here). and up I think takes a $20 crank adapter to let you uses the old pb trans or 66 on down motor have the small crank register. (don't know about the 67 but it might be small too!).
you can get headers(a replacement manifold(stock), waggins duals(a dual exhaust that won't break the bank), or dutra duals (excellent product but cost's more)) with a 2 1/4 pipe for extra breathing power for that or just go to a super six 2bbl carb setup while you at it(fixing the manifold) and get a lot more pep with your step. you will need to change over to a cable style gas pedal though.

if you go V8 you get into a LOT more money.
you can get /6's dirt cheap. the last 3 I got WITH trans were for 50.00 each. and they all ran (2 not so great but they did run, needed valve jobs) 1 was good compression and low mileage truck engine that I'll be using for my turbo build.

You are NOT usually going to find a V8 for 50.00. and if you do it most likely will need to be completely rebuild
I don't care what they say, it ain't the same money to go to a V8 'specially if you want to keep the push button trans.

since you'll need a different trans(if you want to stay PB then you'll need a PB V8 trans ,(only a couple of years work ), a dropped v8 center link, motor mounts(schumaker conversion) and some nice exhaust manifolds(headers $$$$$, 340 hipo's $$$ or 273's $$) oh and exhaust too!
preferable a new radiator also for increased cooling. plus if you want/have power steering then your pretty much stuck with headers, (and they seem to be the most expensive kind)

look up a couple of builds and questions for a V8 in an early a manifold options

I have the same car (1964 Dart GT PB /6), and I wonder why you think you need to swap the engine? My car is Stock, but I plan to move to a Super-Six(2-Barrel) this winter. I am in the process of upgrading the Brakes and suspension first. It is a Great Daily Driver and nothing runs like a Slant 6. The 9" drum brakes are just Dangerous, even in perfect adjustment. Going to a V8 you will be swapping everything from the Radiator to the rearend.(and depending on the V8 you might be swapping the rearend!)

I have the same car (1964 Dart GT PB /6), and I wonder why you think you need to swap the engine? My car is Stock, but I plan to move to a Super-Six(2-Barrel) this winter. I am in the process of upgrading the Brakes and suspension first. It is a Great Daily Driver and nothing runs like a Slant 6. The 9" drum brakes are just Dangerous, even in perfect adjustment. Going to a V8 you will be swapping everything from the Radiator to the rearend.(and depending on the V8 you might be swapping the rearend!)

I don't need to swap it, I would just rather have a v8 and I was weighing my options. I'll probably just keep the /6 and tinker with it. What kind of resale value is there on this Dart?

-
Back