1964 slant six atoumatic to a 318 manual conversion. does anyone kno wat i need?

-

linwood

Reaction score
i have a 1964 plymouth valiant that i want to put a v8 in. i also want to get rid of the atoumatic tranny and put a manual either a three speed or four doesnt rily matter to me. so does any one kno what year block and tranny i need? and anything else i would need?

i have a 1964 plymouth valiant that i want to put a v8 in. i also want to get rid of the atoumatic tranny and put a manual either a three speed or four doesnt rily matter to me. so does any one kno what year block and tranny i need? and anything else i would need?
you can use any year block to keep the stock /6 k member you will need motor mounts and trans crossmember and the right trans slip yokeand of course a shifter and linkage i am doing the same swap only on a 65 valiant using a 318 with 4spd trans except i have a v8 k frame to use from a 70 plymouth duster the motor mounts you will need for a swap /w the 6 k frame are available from [schumacher creative services] out of washington state you can get a catalog from them at www.engine-swaps.com i believe that they have just about everything you will need but a driveshaft i hope you can do this swap on your car then there will be another old mopar saved i am new to this site too so good luck and post me some pics or you can send the pics to my email too [email protected] i live in florida and i will post pics of my car soon also hope this helps mark

you can use any year block to keep the stock /6 k member you will need motor mounts and trans crossmember and the right trans slip yokeand of course a shifter and linkage i am doing the same swap only on a 65 valiant using a 318 with 4spd trans except i have a v8 k frame to use from a 70 plymouth duster the motor mounts you will need for a swap /w the 6 k frame are available from [schumacher creative services] out of washington state you can get a catalog from them at www.engine-swaps.com i believe that they have just about everything you will need but a driveshaft i hope you can do this swap on your car then there will be another old mopar saved i am new to this site too so good luck and post me some pics or you can send the pics to my email too [email protected] i live in florida and i will post pics of my car soon also hope this helps mark
oh and i forgot you will need the clutch and brake pedal assembly from a car like yours that had a manual trans with linkage have fun and keep me posted

up to 66 the K frames were the same /6 or V8 so "old mopar guy" your 1970 K frame will not fit in your 1965 valiant

linwood you will need an A or F body transmission, a neutral balanced fly wheel to use a 273, 318 or early forged crank 340 V8 early A-body's used a 122 tooth, 1967 and later used 130 tooth, there are more clutch options using the later 130 tooth set up and it will work in an early A-body but you must use the matching bellhousing, smaller one for 122 tooth flywheel and larger one for 130 tooth, and an adapter Z-bar (there is also a there is also a 143 tooth set up used in trucks the will NOT work) you will also need an early set of pedals from a 60-66 A-body as the 67 and later style wont work. one big hurdle is finding an engine with a crank machined to accept a pilot bushing, forged cranks should be fine, later cast cranks often are not finished machined as auto trans does not need a pilot bushing, you can also use a late truck pilot bearing this will often require shortening the input shaft of the trans approx 1 inch

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

http://www.darkside.ca/a-4spd.asp

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

http://www.passonperformance.com/

To get bolt-in parts, find a '64-6 donor car. Later donors will work too but you'll have to modify things as caferacerx refered to. I haven't run across a small block that required you to cut off some of the trans input shaft though.....I've had to do that with a big block but not a small block. All the small block cranks I've seen were drilled for a manual trans but most of the automatic versions just didn't get the final machining for the bushing. Use The later Magnum pilot BEARING along with the hub that fits into the large crank hole.

thanks guys. i grew up in a chevy home. and i have picked up on fords. but never heard much about dodges stuff so thanks. now does any one have any parts i may need? i live in south caralina. thanks again and il try to keep you guys posted on how things go.

thanks guys. i grew up in a chevy home. and i have picked up on fords. but never heard much about dodges stuff so thanks. now does any one have any parts i may need? i live in south caralina. thanks again and il try to keep you guys posted on how things go.
what kind of parts are you needing ? you can probably find about all you will need on this site most of these mopar heads know what they are talking about but i don't think they all know everything if you know what i mean and i don't know it all for sure but i can tell you that i have owned mopars and did alot to them for about 35 years but that still don't mean i know it all you can keep in touch with me and i will do what i can to help as i'm sure so will some of the other guys on here so as i said before have fun and be sure to post some pics of your project

-
Back