1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
The ol spider gears. Pretty much the weak link of the 7.25.
Usually go south when you are turning a corner, with your foot into it. More so in the peg leg version.

You probably would be better off to pick up a complete 7.25.
People are pretty much giving them away.
I would go for that if I could find one locally. If I was a Chevy guy, that'd be no problem. lol

Less than $100 on Ebay
Do a search for 7.25 spider gears.

s-l960.jpg

Motive gears 63-80
Chrysler 7.25"

View attachment 1716196153
I tell you what, though. I found it on the Summit site and it clearly says for the NINE bolt cover rear. It's a Motive Gear part, so I'll call them tomorrow. My worry is they show a screw in cross shaft retainer pin. The early models have a roll pin. I have zero problem drilling and tapping the carrier, but the later ones have the screw in retainer pin, so that throws up a red flag. Thanks though. I'll update when I find something out.

Says on their web site that it's for the 87-96 Dakota, but I'm still gonna call um tomorrow.

Did it junk your cross shaft when it went kaboomyow? If not, you could use it back if it fits the new spiders and not have to drill n tap. I went thru all this in 1974 with my 70 Duster when I was in high school. Done it laying in the gravel driveway in the rain. Didn't take me but one time to learn you don't whip off into the grass on the side of the road, cut the wheel, stomp the gas and do a bootleg and then spin back onto the pavement! :realcrazy: :BangHead:

Did it junk your cross shaft when it went kaboomyow? If not, you could use it back if it fits the new spiders and not have to drill n tap. I went thru all this in 1974 with my 70 Duster when I was in high school. Done it laying in the gravel driveway in the rain. Didn't take me but one time to learn you don't whip off into the grass on the side of the road, cut the wheel, stomp the gas and do a bootleg and then spin back onto the pavement! :realcrazy: :BangHead:
Nope. The cross shaft is fine. Yeah, it was the shock when the clutch was dumped, even though I had very little gas applied. It was my fault. The grass was wet that I walked through and I had my foot half way hangin off the clutch pedal like a dumbass. I still caint believe it did it. It must have either had a cracked gear tooth or had worn a lot of slop in the gears. Last time I serviced it, it looked very good, but that was back in 2019 and I have driven the wheels off the old girl. lol

Those spider gears look about like the ones I knocked out of the Duster way back when. Not even enough left to weld up a hilbilly locker! lol When I fixed the 7 1/4 in my Duster, I was 16 and didn't have enough sense not to get the stinky gear lube all over me. My Mom threw my cloths away and made me take a bath in the back yard with the garden hose and Dawn Dishwashing liquid!

:rofl:

Those spider gears look about like the ones I knocked out of the Duster way back when. Not even enough left to weld up a hilbilly locker! lol When I fixed the 7 1/4 in my Duster, I was 16 and didn't have enough sense not to get the stinky gear lube all over me. My Mom threw my cloths away and made me take a bath in the back yard with the garden hose and Dawn Dishwashing liquid!

:rofl:
I bet you had to do it two or three times. lol

didn't have enough sense not to get the stinky gear lube all over me. My Mom threw my cloths away and made me take a bath in the back yard with the garden hose and Dawn Dishwashing liquid!
gear oil is my kryptonite. burnt up 40yr old junk with the limited slip additive makes me actively gag.

i have burned more pairs of dickies and thrown away more shoes than i care to admit.

also, never, ever send it thru the wash. even pre-treated it'll make everything give a faint waft of gear oil reek. say if you do, and say some of your ol' lady's stuff winds up in there with your stuff, well, then that's on you!

gear oil is my kryptonite. burnt up 40yr old junk with the limited slip additive makes me actively gag.

i have burned more pairs of dickies and thrown away more shoes than i care to admit.

also, never, ever send it thru the wash. even pre-treated it'll make everything give a faint waft of gear oil reek. say if you do, and say some of your ol' lady's stuff winds up in there with your stuff, well, then that's on you!
One word:
Laundromat...

I checked my 7 1/4 and it has 9 bolt cover. I will get it up and get it apart when the rain stops long enough. My compressor sits outside under a tarp and my garage is the top of a large pine.

Rain started Mon nite and stops Thur AM maybe. 3 lowes in a row off CommiFornia.

I have been trying to remember just how I came on this 7 1/4. First one I ever had out of any car. I have replaced them with 8 3.4 and 8 1.4. like everyone! Texas sucks from old boneyards but there is a good one almost to Wictita Falls. 6-7 years ago when I first came to T x, I went there for rear qtr, sheetmetal for the 62 Toad and I think I got that rear for a spare spare. May or may not be original for that Toad.

I hae a big roof back in Mo. but that was there and that was back then!! :BangHead: :thumbsup:

Seen it. I'm tellin you. It won't work for mine. Those are all for the 10 bolt cover rear. The early ones are the nine bolt cover. It's misprinted everywhere. I wish it would work, but it won't.
That's odd. 10 bolt covers are for an 8.25".
To my knowledge all 7.25" rears have 9 bolt covers.
So are you saying these gears are a misprint, and are for 8.25" rear ends ?

rearspotter.jpg

That's odd. 10 bolt covers are for an 8.25".
To my knowledge all 7.25" rears have 9 bolt covers.
So are you saying these gears are a misprint, and are for 8.25" rear ends ?

View attachment 1716196420
The 7.25 10 bolt cover has never been on that list. I don't know why. But they do exist.

I called Motive Gear today and they said that the kit you posted will work for the early cars, even though it is actually for the FRONT axle in a 87-96 Dakota. He said the early Valiant was way down on the list of compatible vehicles, but it was there. So, if I do not find something good used, I have that option. I do thank you for posting that.

Last edited:
I have dentist appointment Wed. and rain is supposed to stop Thur. A.M. I will get at it then.
(Where did the italists come from?) It has not stopped raining since friggin Mon. They were calling for 4-8 but only light and constant drizzle to showers so far but I bet on big thunderstorms before Thur. and I will watch for those twisted winds.

Wife has always claimed the darn Toad and I did pick up a "supposed" running slant 2-3 years ago. Kid about 22 or so and he had sold off the intake/exh and etc. ( I have never had anyluck dealing with "kids". Their wives screw up their honessty sometimes. It would turn over about half ways and had some pitted cylinders. I had better cores than that free sitting here. It was hard to want to spend more $ on the Toad. Still is. When I left Mo. in 2017 I sold off 5-6 partially to done cars and of course, no one wanted the Toad! Toads... probably the rarest of Mopars! ha :poke:

I noticed I had a message on my phone earlier tonight. The guy from Motive Gear actually called me back to say that the kid above will not work for me, because the differential carrier is different and the kit will not fit the early carrier. So, used parts are my only option.

I noticed I had a message on my phone earlier tonight. The guy from Motive Gear actually called me back to say that the kit above will not work for me, because the differential carrier is different and the kit will not fit the early carrier. So, used parts are my only option.
Doesn't surprise me, Early A stuff is always like that.

I would say now would be a good time to do a ford 8.8 swap. I did that with my valiant wagon.

If anything you're helping me clear out my early A stuff. I think I am going to set that half a 66 barracuda on a trailer tomorrow and send it off to scrap, There's nothing good left and now that the 7.25 rear of it is going to be stripped out...:p

At least it's supposed to be a warm weekend and it's not going to be my turn to be called into work because the other girl I work with, It's her weekend, if they need someone called in. So it will be nice to get this done and work on my 67 valiant dash some more.

Doesn't surprise me, Early A stuff is always like that.

I would say now would be a good time to do a ford 8.8 swap. I did that with my valiant wagon.

If anything you're helping me clear out my early A stuff. I think I am going to set that half a 66 barracuda on a trailer tomorrow and send it off to scrap, There's nothing good left and now that the 7.25 rear of it is going to be stripped out...:p

At least it's supposed to be a warm weekend and it's not going to be my turn to be called into work because the other girl I work with, It's her weekend, if they need someone called in. So it will be nice to get this done and work on my 67 valiant dash some more.
I have a Ford 9" that I've built up narrowed to A body width with Chrysler housing ends and A body brakes on it. That's what's going in it next. My problem is, as usual the chunk of money I need for the custom axles. So, in the meantime, I have to fix what I have. I had hoped to have gotten the axles last year, now I have moved that hope to this year. lol

When you say Early carrier, what do you mean ?

Is your rear end a 7.25, and original to the car ?

When you say Early carrier, what do you mean ?

Is your rear end a 7.25, and original to the car ?
Older 7.25's are a different animal, since the intro, they have been made in A-body LBP('73&up w/discs), F-M-J-body LBP, and Dakota rear LBP & Early Dak 4×4 Front diff's.
Very early units even had different pinion splines & ring gear screws. There were changes to carriers, bearings, axles/retention, so yes, RRR's early-A diff is not the same as an '80's Dak....which is probably the only reason any new 7.25" parts exist at this point.

Older 7.25's are a different animal, since the intro, they have been made in A-body LBP('73&up w/discs), F-M-J-body LBP, and Dakota rear LBP & Early Dak 4×4 Front diff's.
Very early units even had different pinion splines & ring gear screws. There were changes to carriers, bearings, axles/retention, so yes, RRR's early-A diff is not the same as an '80's Dak....which is probably the only reason any new 7.25" parts exist at this point.
Lets call it what it is, not an early A rear axle.
Rusty has an A body small bolt rear axle. This axle was the same axle in A bodys from 1963-1972. All these axles have the same 9 bolt cover. So there is no such thing as an early 7.25. Its the same A body rear end from 63-72.

1973-1976 7.25" rear axle had the big bolt pattern, and came on A body's with disc brakes.

1973-1976 A body's also had an 8.25 rear axle. It was used for high performance models, replacing the 8 3/4.

I never said anything about a Dakota. Choose your parts wisely.

Note @RustyRatRod I just about got the pinion grinded down enough to get the pin the rests of way out. Send me your cell and I will have wife shoot you some pics of the gears after lucnh (Texas lunch).PS it finally stopped raining and we sent it ALL to you all!

-
Back