1964 Valiant straight axle build

-
We put another spacer in to help the oil pan clear the axle...

DSCF1286.jpg

It is still a little close, so we may end up having to section the pan a little. we'll know for sure once the whole weight of the car is in.

DSCF1285.jpg

The roll bar has been test fitted, and needed to be re-engineered a little. The bars that went to the front floor hit the seats and armrests....in a full race car it would be no problem, but with a full interior on a street strip car, they won't work. My buddy put some 1/4 inch plate on the back floor, and welded it to the subframe connectors, then we'll bolt the roll bar plates to the floor/subframe connector plates.

The bars that went to the trunk would have had to go through the back seat in their current length, so he lengthened them using the two pieces that would have went from the center hoop to the subframe connectors...and interfered with the back seat. Now they are long enough to reach all the way to the rear of the trunk, and pass through the package tray. I know that might not pass tech at a lot of tracks, but it's more of a street car than anything, so it works out best in my situation, and the back seat will still be somewhat usable. We will run one bar forward to the trans tunnel at the back of the front seats to add a little strength....

DSCF1287.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

DSCF1290.jpg

My buddy is wanting to cut out most of the inner fenders to make everything smoother, and easier to work around, then add sheetmetal back in. Since we aren't using any of the shock towers or A-arm mounts, it doesn't matter. The new Hussler headers will work a lot better, but he is getting tired of all the cutting, and fitting I think!

I swore, after my '72 Challenger Rallye and '69 GTX, that I would never buy another vinyl roof Mopar...and as solid as this Valiant looked...it hid a lot of rot!

But the car is apart for body and paint, and the 360 is at the builders, but I still haven't got the heads, intake, and cam yet.

Here is that squirrel nest that I had been looking for...

DSCF1291.jpg

Here is the spot in the quarter where the used mower blade fell out...

DSCF1292.jpg

Other re-enforcing and braces....

DSCF1295.jpg

DSCF1293.jpg

DSCF1294.jpg

Lots of cutting!LOL.I know the feeling,but will be well worth it in the end.Keep up the great project.

The short block is built. I need to buy the heads and intake. The rear is on stands in my shop, I rebuilt it, but I still need to paint it. The body is on the rotisserie at my buddy's shop. I slowed down on it in order to get my '61 Galaxie ready for the Billetproof Drags.... I'm going to get back on the Plymouth now that the drags are over.

I just had to jump in here and thank you for sharing this build with us :cheers:.
Keep up the good work and enjoy, I am :-D

Thanks!

I went by the shop to look at the body today. It has a little rot under the door bottoms and the front of the dash/bottom of the windshield frame, but nothing major...some pinholes around the trim areas, etc.

It's blasted and epoxy primed and ready for final body work.

Thanks!

I bought the clear, my buddy has the Wimbledon White paint. It is final sanded and ready for paint. Just waiting for a spot in the booth.

The short block is back and waiting for the heads and intake/carb to be purchased. The credit card is paid off, so I guess it's time to heat it up again and buy that stuff! :)

I still need some weather stripping, interior stuff, and wheels and tires...lots of miscellaneous stuff I would imagine.....It's a lot closer though.

DV8-nice seeing you at the show today. Came home and joined the A-body forum.( I'm the guy with the blown 440 gasser ) If I can help, let me know what kind of stuff you're looking for, I have a couple more sets of alum. slots that may fit. I know stock wheel wells are tight. Still have 2 dr. posts side windows and frames, back window, other small stuff. Looking forward to Lakeland, should be sorted out soon, I'll send pics when the wheels are up.

Right on!

Thanks.....It was good talking to you yesterday, I wish I was able to stay at the show longer.

I'm looking forward to Lakeland as well!

-Jon

Is the paint done yet?

Not yet....There were a couple of set-backs. My buddy has had kidney stone trouble for two months now!!! Several painful medical procedures and trips to the hospital.

I lost my job of 20 years a month ago, and that didn't help any! :mrgreen:

I need to sell a '34 Ford truck cab and bed in order to buy the next load of parts.....another buddy was supposed to buy it a while back, but hasn't come up with the money yet. That will get me back on track with the parts.

I'm actually going to the shop tomorrow to do the final prep on the body so he can paint it. The F-1 pickup is finally out of the paint booth.

Maybe I can get some progress pics by next week...

Not yet....There were a couple of set-backs. My buddy has had kidney stone trouble for two months now!!! Several painful medical procedures and trips to the hospital.

I lost my job of 20 years a month ago, and that didn't help any! :mrgreen:

I need to sell a '34 Ford truck cab and bed in order to buy the next load of parts.....another buddy was supposed to buy it a while back, but hasn't come up with the money yet. That will get me back on track with the parts.

I'm actually going to the shop tomorrow to do the final prep on the body so he can paint it. The F-1 pickup is finally out of the paint booth.

Maybe I can get some progress pics by next week...

PM me

This is cool! Great job on everything. Would you mind posting a picture of your 61 Galaxie as well?

Thanks!

Here is the Galaxie......

When I got it:

DSCF1310.jpg

During the change:

DSCF1318.jpg

Paint:

DSCF1325.jpg

DSCF1324.jpg

Engine when I got it...2-barrel, weak distributor, etc. :

DSCF1315.jpg

New 4-barrel, HEI, some dress-up:

DSCF1328.jpg

After the lettering....a couple of shots with my buddies:

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

DSCF1332.jpg

It launched real hard....The whole front end would lurch up, and it would leave hard....but with the 10% ethynol, stock mechanical fuel pump, and copper feul lines right next to the manifolds, it would vapor lock, and run out of gas at half track....It sucked because it was running good with that Cleveland!

I'm going to put an electric feul pump, and some real fuel lines on it for this year.

We called it "The Bad Penny" because I knew about 3 people that had it before me, and I had been trying to buy it for years, and it kept turning up "like a bad penny"

I've got less than 3k into it total, and that includes new disc brakes, and those American Racing wheels, and Pro Trac tires on the front.

360, Edlebrock heads (the ones for the high compression 340), some flat top pistons, Performer RPM cam, intake....the usual accessories.

Sounds like it will be a fun ride. Can these be driven daily?

The Valiant will be a street/strip car....That's why it will have a full interior, and other things that might slow it down a little....

The Galaxie could be a daily with a few more things...mostly wireing related.

I'll probably make the Galaxie street legal one day...it's a fun car, and it would be cool to cruise it around a little....We tried to blow it up the year before last at the drags, but it wouldn't die! It never got hot, and actually got faster the more we hot lapped it!

I think it would be fine.

Those Cleveland engines were overbuilt...It starts right up, and never overheats, and now that there are some real brakes on it, it stops good! I would just need some rear street tires and wire the headlights and tail/brake lights....they might even work...we never really even tried any of them!

I think it would be fine.

Those Cleveland engines were overbuilt...It starts right up, and never overheats, and now that there are some real brakes on it, it stops good! I would just need some rear street tires and wire the headlights and tail/brake lights....they might even work...we never really even tried any of them!

I'm talking about the straight axle set up. I think lol

-
Back