1965 Dart bulb numbers

-

Reaction score
Any one have a correct list of what bulbs a 1965 Dart uses. Marker, tun signal ect. I know my owners manual can not be quite correct as they list 1034's for every thing but the back up lamps. And there are bulbs in the trunk mounted tail lights that are single post, so the 1034's obviously are not correct for that spot. thanks!!!!

Many/most of the bulb numbers listed in your '65 book have been superseded by newer types with better characteristics (better performance, longer life, or both). 1034 was original spec for the stop/tail and the park/turn; superseded by 1157 and you can do better than 1157; see here for details as well as upgrades for the reversing lamps.

The correct bulb for the trunk-mounted '65-'66 Dart taillamps is a 1095. Obsolete and hard to find; you can get them here.

Dashboard bulbs: Lots of options. My go-to bulb for this application is a type T4W (Sylvania #3893, Wager #17131, Philips #12929, GE sells it as a "T4W", etc.). Correct amount of light and a nickel-plated base that won't corrode or stick in the socket. Others that will work include 57X and 1895. If you're trying to brighten them up considerably, you need an Osram 3886X. You won't find it locally, but you can get it from the same source as the 1095s.

"LED bulbs" do not work safely or effectively and are illegal.

Thanks Dan!
I put 1156's in the trunk, I think. I think they are the superseded number for the back up lamps. And they seem way to bright. They make the stop tun in the fenders look like they are barley on! LOL

Thanks as usual for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

Many/most of the bulb numbers listed in your '65 book have been superseded by newer types with better characteristics (better performance, longer life, or both). 1034 was original spec for the stop/tail and the park/turn; superseded by 1157 and you can do better than 1157; see here for details as well as upgrades for the reversing lamps.

The correct bulb for the trunk-mounted '65-'66 Dart taillamps is a 1095. Obsolete and hard to find; you can get them here.

Dashboard bulbs: Lots of options. My go-to bulb for this application is a type T4W (Sylvania #3893, Wager #17131, Philips #12929, GE sells it as a "T4W", etc.). Correct amount of light and a nickel-plated base that won't corrode or stick in the socket. Others that will work include 57X and 1895. If you're trying to brighten them up considerably, you need an Osram 3886X. You won't find it locally, but you can get it from the same source as the 1095s.

"LED bulbs" do not work safely or effectively and are illegal.

You gottta get those 1156s out of there right away. That bulb is 8 times too bright for the application, and screws up other drivers' ability to tell when you're stepping on the brake. Not safe. The one and only correct bulb for the inboard tail lamps on '65-'66 Darts is 1095.

Thanks dan,
Will do. If I rember right that 1095 bulb is used in 14v emergancy exit lighting. Seems to me those were the bulbs I used at the hanger in the exit signs. Now If I can just find what I did with the extra bulbs!!! LOL

http://www.bulbtown.com/1095_MINIATURE_BULB_BA15S_BASE_p/1095.htm

http://www.bulbdirect.com/products/product.php?item_id=2285&cat_id=61&page=2

You gottta get those 1156s out of there right away. That bulb is 8 times too bright for the application, and screws up other drivers' ability to tell when you're stepping on the brake. Not safe. The one and only correct bulb for the inboard tail lamps on '65-'66 Darts is 1095.

Careful with that Sylvania selection guide. It contains errors (the same errors as the selection guides from GE, Wagner, etc. and the ones at the parts stores, because all the data comes from one source and it's only about 95% accurate on the newer models, dropping to about 80% accurate on the older models). Also it pushes Sylvania's scam "upgrades" (Silver Star, etc.) that do nothing but drain your wallet while worsening your visibility.

The other thing is that 1156 draws about 3½× the intended power draw load on the circuit. So instead of 32w total draw on the taillight circuit, you've got 70w, which is a 119% overload. You probably won't catch the car on fire this way, but bad things will happen sooner than later.

My 65 Dart outside taillights show signs of lens cracking where the 1157 bulbs are close to the lens. I blocked the brake light on & checked the lens & it was relatively hot where the bulb comes close.

Consequently pay attention to the heat generated & proximity of the bulb to the lens when selecting other bulb numbers.

That's one of the reasons not to use the halogen "upgrade" bulbs that fit in place of 1157.

The 3496 bulb does not produce more heat or come closer to the lens compared to the 1157.

Dan:

While we both loathe the LED "bulb replacements" on the market, perhaps this piece of crap can serve an actual purpose replacing the now discontinued 1095?

LEDbulb1.jpg

It was alleged to be a replacement for an 1156, but of course comes no where near close.

I removed that specimen from an e-bay victim's car. I don't have the proper Dart to test it in, but I am willing to send it to you for testing.

I realize that there is old stock on the 1095. But that is finite. Just a thought.

B.

Looks as though the 1095 is again/still in current production, so no shortages on the horizon.

"LED bulbs" just really don't work. Not even a little bit. Looking at the design of this what you're showing (which I've seen before), even if we ignore the totally wrong light distribution vs. a filament bulb, we have back-to-back emitters without any heat sinking. This, like all the other "LED bulbs", is a toy made by some idiot in China without a clue.

Thanks, but please don't darken my mailbox with that bulb!
redbeard.gif

Dan:

I took that bulb out of a hot rod with an $8,000 USD paint job. He thought he had done a great job "upgrading" the lighting.

I keep a printed copy of NRS 484D.130 (5), and just happen to have a marker 500 feet from my shop...

He was speechless when he got through with that little walk.

Of course I have seen newer OEM stuff that does not pass that test either, but the Highway Patrol tends to eyeball modified cars a lot harder.

I have a collection of the WOW bulbs. Makes showing people how bad they really are simple. Be nice or I will send you 20 different versions...

B.

Dan:

I took that bulb out of a hot rod with an $8,000 USD paint job. He thought he had done a great job "upgrading" the lighting.

Yeah, they always do, don't they! :roll:

I keep a printed copy of NRS 484D.130 (5), and just happen to have a marker 500 feet from my shop...

Well, that's the other end of the problem; most state vehicle lighting codes are a mess; generally they weren't connected to reality in 1938 (or so) when they were written, and have been hacked and tweaked in bits and parts for 75 years by ignorant legislatures influenced by commercially-interested lobbyists. Virtually every vehicle on the road today is technically illegal according to many state lighting codes. Fortunately, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards preempt conflicting state codes.

Of course I have seen newer OEM stuff that does not pass that test either,

Exactly.

I have a collection of the WOW bulbs. Makes showing people how bad they really are simple. Be nice or I will send you 20 different versions...

No…please…not that…anything but that! :shock:

-
Back