1965 Dart Questions

-

prrc

Reaction score
Ok Just brought the new project home over the weekend and have some questions. First This build will be a Pro- Touring style build. My first question is about the rear end. What is stock in this car? I understand the 8 3/4 is a much stronger unit, But is the original just to weak to put any power to it? Or is it that there are no aftermarket parts for the original rear? Posi?
Ok # 2. Just some quick measurements of the rear wheel well looks like you can stuff a 315 under the car with no problem. I understand the leaf springs are in the way. Thats no problem. I will just fab up some relocation springs. Anyway, I have seen a couple of other guys mini tubing theses cars and just wondering if there is something I'm missing on the rear wheel wells thats in the way.
I will start a new thread on the build pretty soon.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Tim

7.25 rear end should be stock. Makes a good paper weight. Fine behind a slant six (like my 1965 270 dart), but will not take any power put to it from what I have herd. 8.75 rear is the way to go. My 65 GT has the 8.75 and I have a spare for the 270 when I have nothing better to do. They can be found. I only gave $200 for a A-body 8.75 housing with axles. But you can also get a big C- body 8.75 and have in cut down.

Thanks, Just took a better look under the car. Your right. Paper weight might be a good idea. I have never had any gealings with the Early A body cars, So alot to learn before the build starts. Thanks.
Tim

Tire diameter is just as much problem as tire width if you don't want to cut the quarters. With offset springs, a rolled inner lip and the right offset wheel, you can get a fairly good size (widthwise anyway) tire in there. If you're going to have wheels made, decide on which rear end you'll be using first and what bolt pattern it will have. Then have the wheels made once the rear end is in place and accurate measurements can be taken.

Mini tub the rear wheel wells, I have 285-40-18s under mine with room to spare. Go with an 8 3/4" Mopar or 9" Ford rear, a Dana will fit, but it's a bit overkill. You have to move the rear end back about 3/4" to center in the wheel well. Check my build for all the details.. Post some pic's.

Thanks for the help guys.This will be my personal car. Making the wheel and tire combo work is no problem. I'm the owner of a full service speed shop in Indianapolis,
Just seems like a really cool little car. Just don't know alot about the early A bodies. Have owned several B bodies in the past.
Anyway I bought the car from this message board. Drove 15 hrs 1 way to go pick the car up. Very nice original rust free car.
Just seems like you can really get some pretty big tires under the car without doing a mini tub.
Tincup I have been following your build and even sent you a PM on your tire size( Very nice car by the way) With your set up whatwas running interferance with the 18x10 ? My car shows 13" of clearance at the top lip with no mods at all. Mini tubs in a 67-69 Camaro is about the same size and we stuff 18x12 and 335/30s under them all the time. So I must be missing something on the Dart.I
I am in no way here to promote my shop. Just wanting to hang out with some Mopar guys and have some fun of my own for a change.
Here are some pictures of the Dart and the cars in my shop right now. Enjoy.
Tim

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 003.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 006.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 007.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 414
  • 008.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 009.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 414
  • 011.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 010.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 417
A couple more pictures.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 013.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 410
  • 014.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 015.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 396
  • 016.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 412
Real sweet shop and sweeter cars.....the Dart looks very solid.....best of luck with it and please post the build as you go....!!!!!!! I have a 64 Valiant, left my springs in the stock location w/no mini tub....ended up with a 15 x 7 x 4.50 BS with Belted Firestone F60's from "Coker Tire" out back ...... just like the old school look ...... but I did drop the entire car 3-4"

Rickster

Love the Valiant. That's what I was looking for myself, But ran across the Dart and was a great deal on a really solid car, So I just couldn't pass it up.

Your right the wheel wells are huge, but the problem comes in if you want the car low, the wells curve in at the top. I wanted a decent size rear tire (mine are 27" tall) and I wanted the car as low as I could go without bags. So, if you leave the car at stock ride height, (which from the looks of some of the cars in your shop, ain't gonna happen) you could get away without tubing.

Tincup, Thanks. I thought there must be some interferance some were in there. I took a look after reading your post. And your right. Didn't see how narrow the top rear got. I knew I could count on you to clue me in. And yes big tires and low to the ground wil be the reciepe for this build. I pulled some wheels out of the showroom last night and grabbed a Rushforth rated X 20x10 and a Budnik 430 in an 18x10. I will post some pictures of the two and lets see what everyone thinks. I have feeling by the time I get the wheel and tire combo stuffed under the car it will be a two seater...LOL
Tim

OK, here we go Rushforth 20x10 and Budnik 18x10 Thoughts? I think I have my pick. But lets see what everyone else thinks.

Attachments

• Dart 001.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 862
  • Dart 002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 385
  • Dart 003.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 379
A couple more pictures.

Very nice shop! I might have to take a road trip and come have a look some time. I will be looking for some one to paint both my darts in the future.

Your 270 Dart looks like the twin of mine. Looks like same interior, color and all. To funny!

Can't wait to see some progress.......I'm voting for the Bud's

Your welcome to stop by any time you would like.
Very nice shop! I might have to take a road trip and come have a look some time. I will be looking for some one to paint both my darts in the future.

Your 270 Dart looks like the twin of mine. Looks like same interior, color and all. To funny!

I like which ever the first pics are. Nice dart....

Tincup your build has been an inspiration. These little cars should be a blast to drive when finished.I'm trying to gather some info and parts before I staet taking it apart. What color are you painting your car? The rendering looks great. a slate grey?
I'm kind of leaning toward a very light silver blue with a saddle colored interior. Not sure about the side trim on the car. Looks kind of cool in the pictures tho,
Can't wait to see some progress.......I'm voting for the Bud's

Thanks, The first picture is a Rushforth wheel called the rated x with a brushed center and polished hoop 20x10
I like which ever the first pics are. Nice dart....

Tincup your build has been an inspiration. These little cars should be a blast to drive when finished.I'm trying to gather some info and parts before I staet taking it apart. What color are you painting your car? The rendering looks great. a slate grey?
I'm kind of leaning toward a very light silver blue with a saddle colored interior. Not sure about the side trim on the car. Looks kind of cool in the pictures tho,

Thanks, It's nice to see someone else build a early A. The color of mine is actually going to be Lexus Sage green met. What's your plans for the drivetrain?
If I can be of any help, just let me know..

Well, Not sure on the drive train just yet. I like what your doing with the new Hemi, So thats always an option. I've also been wanting to try out the new FAST EZ EFI on something, So it might get a trial run on my car. So maybe a small block? I've used Hughs engines before and the have a new cam grind I've also been looking at. Who's painting your car Tincup? I would be more than happy to help you out if I could.
Thanks, It's nice to see someone else build a early A. The color of mine is actually going to be Lexus Sage green met. What's your plans for the drivetrain?
If I can be of any help, just let me know..

Well, Not sure on the drive train just yet. I like what your doing with the new Hemi, So thats always an option. I've also been wanting to try out the new FAST EZ EFI on something, So it might get a trial run on my car. So maybe a small block? I've used Hughs engines before and the have a new cam grind I've also been looking at. Who's painting your car Tincup? I would be more than happy to help you out if I could.

I will be doing my own painting ( actually used to do it for a living, now just for fun ) I know where I can get you a 900HP NASCAR Truck motor !!

Great, Being able to do it yourself is great. Just thought I would offer. 900HP sounds good. But I think a little much for what I want to do..LOL We have a Chevelle in here that ran on the dyno about 2 months ago and made 754HP on pump gas. That thing is a monster. I couldn't Image 900 HP.

-
Back