1965 Dart Radiator Dimensions?

-

sazzlefrats

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a 2 row alumuminum radiator... what should the dimensions be? I don't have my car handy to measure out the opening.

25 x 19 x 3" ? (outer dimensions?)

The core is 18"H x 22"W. Slighty wider with the side brackets and the overall height is much more with the tanks. My 65 V-8 radiator went to the junkyard. It was bad when I got the car. It had a strange dent in the top of the upper tank that I thought was from a failed water pump fan hit, since tubes were ripped there, but recall others said that dent was factory. I installed an Autozone radiator for a ~72 Dart, maybe a slant since 1.5"D lower tube. It stands off the firewall a little more. I just needed to drill a few holes in the radiator brackets. I could barely fit a nylon fan (Summit) since I also switched to the 1" thicker alum water pump. My lower hose is passenger side now. Many radiators will fit. You didn't bother to tell us what engine you have.

I've got a 360 SB LA engine and planning on an electric fan. What I was hoping to figure out is the largest core and radiator that makes sense to put in there, and what if anything else is a limiting factor. I'm looking at a 2 core aluminum crossflow radiator, with the tanks on the side. The core on the one I am looking at are dimensions 19 x 17.75 x 1.75 outer dimensions might be 25 x 19 x 3.

Could I go larger? Should I?

That size should work. Some people cut the opening larger, but probably no need since the inflowing air will find its way to all of the radiator area anyway. I expect you have the 71+ alum w.p. like me, which is 1" thicker than the 65 cast-iron. If you won't have a mechanical fan, it should fit. My nylon fan sits pretty close to the radiator core. I will put a pusher electric fan on the front to assist (Mercedes). Nobody can answer exactly what would work for you. If your engine runs lean or inefficient, you need more cooling. If you plan to climb out of the L.A. Basin at 70 mph on a 110 F day, you could easily join the others with their hoods up every 1/4 mile. Not all new factory designs can handle that.

I got a Ford Racing AL radiator: 22 wide X18.5 tall X3 thick at side tanks. There is another 3 inches per side of flat plate for mounting, fits like a glove but the bottom hose stub is a wierd ford size....wouldnt go much taller but Im not bottomed out yet. wider is no problem.

...If you plan to climb out of the L.A. Basin at 70 mph on a 110 F day, you could easily join the others with their hoods up every 1/4 mile. Not all new factory designs can handle that...

Thats funny, My wife's family's first new car was a 1st gen Hyundai (Mitsubishi licensed) and it overheated going up over Mulholland into the valley..NEW!

Sounds like I picked the biggest radiator that makes sense. Based on what I knew, and I am hearing. I made my order, we'll know sometime next week for sure when it arrives.

Thanks guys.

-
Back