1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
After waiting for quite some time the package with the restamped ignition coil arrived from Instrument Specialities.

The coil was stamped exactly the way it came from the manufacturer. It looks great. After adding the mouting bracket it looks like the staff did at the assembly line back in early 1965.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 505
  • 002.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 505
  • 003.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 004.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 523
Instrument Specialties does really nice work (as we can see from your coil re-stamp). Thanks for posting this; you've reminded me I need to talk to them about some gauge work for my '62 Lancer.

Tonight I started with the stainless steel mouldings that goes on top of the door panels. They were in shape, not good or bad, but they needed alot of attention. After three hours the two that goes on the rear panel were done and they turned out great. the screws that holds them are already done!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 476
The mouldings that goes on the roof is a little tricky! During time there have been dirt making marks in the mouldings across the trim. I started with 1500 grit but that does not count! I need to continue with 1500 and 2000 to get the job done! I know why I hate polishing stainless steel mouldings.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 456
The Stainless steelmoulding that is mounted at the back of the door glass was mounted by a small piece of rubber gasket! It seems that the moulding incl the rubber gasket is held in place by it's own.

It was a mess to sand down the scratches and then polish it due to the curvy profile. But now one side is done!

:coffee2:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 001.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 002.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 439
The mouldings that goes on the roof is a little tricky! During time there have been dirt making marks in the mouldings across the trim. I started with 1500 grit but that does not count! I need to continue with 1500 and 2000 to get the job done! I know why I hate polishing stainless steel mouldings.

Yessss, it's very tedious and time consuming work for sure. Looks like you know what you're doing though ;-) ... nice job Ulf!

Merry Christmas to my furthest-away customer!!!! :-D I couldn't resist using a paragraph of your earlier feedback to open my new Shop Intro Movie ... it's some that I'm most proud of.

Keep up the fine work Ulf!! I might not always say something about your current project but I always look in on ya from time to time.

Merry Christmas Ulf to you and your family. Good luck on your progress this year, hope to see her rolling soon.
Rick

Thanks Leanna and Rick! I hope you all had a greta Christmas.

I continued to day to go through some stuff. I found a spring that I Think belong to my car but I can't figure out where the spring should be!! Any knowledge out there?

I also found a strange voltage regulator for Chrysler cars. It has a special rivet witha stamped head with the Forward look emblem. Have anyone seen this before?

I also need to find some small plastic and rubber gaskets for different purpose, vent window and the side door glass gasket. Is there some shop in US that sells those kind of small stuff. Any help is gladly appriciated.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 007.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 396
  • 006.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 004.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 003.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 002.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 415
  • 001.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 005.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 394
That's a 1961 voltage regulator, part number 2095 700. The 1960 models equipped with alternators (Valiant + Imperial) used 1889 960, and starting in '62 the P/N was 2098 300 (which superseded the '60 and '61 items). Can't say I've ever seen a rivet as you show. Looks like it would prevent the regulator cover being removed, which is strange since these regulators were designed and intended to be adjusted in the field -- there's an enormous amount of how-to info in the service manuals. Perhaps this was a Mopar rebuilt regulator (such things did exist) done in '62 or early '63.

Ulf, check out the site sponsor Detroit Muscle Technologies (there's a link over there ------->). Between what they offer and what you're looking for, you might score!

Ulf, check out the site sponsor Detroit Muscle Technologies (there's a link over there ------->). Between what they offer and what you're looking for, you might score!

Thanks Leanna! I will check them out today. We had so bad weather the last days so I speant my time in the shop doing things on my car! I kn ow that I have sent some stuff ft o them to get reproduced! Thanks again Leanna. I stíll needs to send the package with aluminium finns for your valve cover creations!

All 1965 cars equipped with radio had a capacitor mounted beside the ignition coil. Well, efter bringing out the assembly line piece and bolted it in the right position I added the wire to the positive terminal. Looks correct!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 003.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 377

I tried but DMT didn't had those. I asked if he could help reproduce an assembly line carpet for the trunk. Its not vinyl, some other stuff.

I guess an all car store would be the place to search. Any names?

Check if Gary Goers has some of those plastic and rubber pieces you need. Link is here.

A factory-type trunk mat shouldn't be hard to get, but what kind of material is yours?

Check if Gary Goers has some of those plastic and rubber pieces you need. Link is here.

A factory-type trunk mat shouldn't be hard to get, but what kind of material is yours?

Thanks Dan! I will check with Gary.

I don't know the material but I have borrowed my friend Johans trunk mat so that you can get an idea. I'll shoot a picture and post it later tonight.

I found an nos clips that holds the transmission cooler lines together so they don't rattle. This is the location for the clips.

When I stopped by Johan today I was able to find out that there is clips holding the trunk lid wiring harness to the left hinge! I didn't know that but this is the way it looked. When I got home I was fortunate to find two of those clips. But the question remain, how many clips was on the hinge?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_0523.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 297
  • 003.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 332
I found a spring that I Think belong to my car but I can't figure out where the spring should be!! Any knowledge out there?

I found a curvy piece of metal just like that laying on the floor under my seat springs. Since it fell out on it's own, I don't know how or where it fits.

Thanks for the input! I will see if I can find any info in the shop manual or in the partsbook.

This is the way the trunkmat should look like. I know it's to styles, one Herringbone and one more. It seems like it's made of some kind of rubber/asphalt!

There is a special pattern on the backside as well.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 005.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 320
PPG Sweden called me and said that they could be able to provide me with solid paint for my car. The old paint test sheets was with clearcoat!! :banghead: When I got back home from work I found these test pieces. Not sure what they are called!!LOL

When I compared the test sheets I found a yellow which is almost as it was. It is a little more yellow compare to the old test. The left upper little piece is the solid paint.

The gold metallic is almost the same. The test piece to the right is the one that I think is most like the stock piece.

Any comments?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970261483&postcount=1925

I can't figure out which picture you are describing. All the samples in your first picture looks way to yellow to me for AA-1. Is your car AA-1?

Some of the samples in the second picture look right to me. But my sense of what's right is based on pictures of cars on the Internet since my car was long since repainted.

I have been operating under the assumption that the interior and exterior golds are basically the same color with different sheen. Perhaps this is a bad assumption. I bought a page out of the PPG Ditzler book for the 1965 colors. The AA-1 has a definite taupe look to it which I hope is not correct because I really don't care for it.

I did find the original interior gold paint under the ash tray bezel. Since I had to drill out the rivets, I think it must be un-faded original paint. I've matched this to a paint code of BH used on 1999 Lincoln Continentals.

Here are some pictures taken outdoors on a partly sunny day that shows all the colors. That large piece of metal is a test spray of a color I had mixed at a local paint store in Omni paint by PPG based on the original code. The Lincoln color is a good match to the ashtray and also not too far from the Omni sample. I would say that it's a bit brighter and the metallic is a bit heavier which is a plus for me, although I know it would be a negative for you.

Attachments

• 20131025_120737.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 301
I have been operating under the assumption that the interior and exterior golds are basically the same color with different sheen. Perhaps this is a bad assumption.

On my metallic beige '65, the (fully original) interior and exterior paints weren't the same.

I bought a page out of the PPG Ditzler book for the 1965 colors. The AA-1 has a definite taupe look to it which I hope is not correct because I really don't care for it.

1. I hope you didn't pay too much; the info's free at autocolorlibrary.com

2. Paint chips can differ hugely from actual color on the car.

I did find the original interior gold paint under the ash tray bezel. Since I had to drill out the rivets, I think it must be un-faded original paint. I've matched this to a paint code of BH used on 1999 Lincoln Continentals.

Unless you're working on a '99 Lincoln, if you found paint under rivets installed at the factory and never removed since the car was built, it's not '99 Lincoln paint. If you use '99 Lincoln paint, the appearance will not be original. You may like it or prefer it, and that's totally up to you, but '99 Lincoln paint is not a match to the original.

I can't figure out which picture you are describing. All the samples in your first picture looks way to yellow to me for AA-1. Is your car AA-1?

Some of the samples in the second picture look right to me. But my sense of what's right is based on pictures of cars on the Internet since my car was long since repainted.

I have been operating under the assumption that the interior and exterior golds are basically the same color with different sheen. Perhaps this is a bad assumption. I bought a page out of the PPG Ditzler book for the 1965 colors. The AA-1 has a definite taupe look to it which I hope is not correct because I really don't care for it.

Here are some pictures taken outdoors on a partly sunny day that shows all the colors. That large piece of metal is a test spray of a color I had mixed at a local paint store in Omni paint by PPG based on the original code. The Lincoln color is a good match to the ashtray and also not too far from the Omni sample. I would say that it's a bit brighter and the metallic is a bit heavier which is a plus for me, although I know it would be a negative for you.

Thanks for the input!

My car had 999 9 code on the fendertag. That indicates special paint with with special paint on the interior.

Since Chrysler officially hadn't released the yellow paint it was 999. Gold and white interior was a not so common option and as newly found out they started with that interior in September of 1964. That meant that it was the last 9 for special paint on the upper door frames.

The paint chips I have taken from the car was from under the front bumperand under the upper moulding on the door. That was almost exactly the same. When I compared that with paint chips from the window channel it was the same.

The interior paint chips was taken from under the ash tray. There as well as under the DART GT emblem that goes on the upper door frame. I also compared the paint one the steering column butthe samples I use are identical.

I know that there is differencies between interior and exterior paint as you and Dan mentioned. I don't think it's so bright on the interior. But check out the paint codes from Ditzler/PPG!!

Ditzler PPG paint code for interior is 81515 for yellow.
Paint code for interior for gold is 22461 and for exterior is 22461!
Paint that goes on top of the instrument panel on the recessed area is 22464.

At the same time I like to thank all the FABO members that have given me advice or help of any kind. It means so much to me and I could not do this resto without you guys.

Happy New Year! :burnout:

Happy New Year!
Thanks for this interesting thread, I appreciate you keeping us up to date and involved in such a thorough restoration.
I check in on it at least once a day and it seems like there's always something interesting or I learn something new.
Rich

Thanks for the input!

My car had 999 9 code on the fendertag. That indicates special paint with with special paint on the interior.

Since Chrysler officially hadn't released the yellow paint it was 999. Gold and white interior was a not so common option and as newly found out they started with that interior in September of 1964. That meant that it was the last 9 for special paint on the upper door frames.

I'm not sure how I got it in my head that your car was gold. I went back to the beginning of your thread and I saw some gold paint on your rear quarter panel, but I realize now that this was a patch panel from a donor car. Actually it makes sense given that the factory Dart Chargers were yellow. I bet the combination of yellow outside and white/gold inside was a rare combo!

I know that there is differences between interior and exterior paint as you and Dan mentioned. I don't think it's so bright on the interior. But check out the paint codes from Ditzler/PPG!!

Ditzler PPG paint code for interior is 81515 for yellow.
Paint code for interior for gold is 22461 and for exterior is 22461!
Paint that goes on top of the instrument panel on the recessed area is 22464.

You had me thinking that the interior and exterior golds were different colors. I'm relieved now to learn that they are the same. We're planning to shoot color in the interior, trunk and engine compartment on Saturday. That means the paint will be purchased Thursday or Friday - no turning back!

I'm happy with the Lincoln color. It's very close the factory color, but with a little more life in it. I like the fact that it's a more recent factory color which I should be able to match in the future if necessary.

I do fully understand that this paint would be sacrilege for you. Here's to finishing both our cars in 2014!

-
Back