1965 Valiant/Barracuda Quarter Panel Peak Moulding Fasteners

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Re: '65 Formula S, I was trying to figure out if the one fastener that is not one of the other 9 clips that is rather a stud and nut would be attached from the factory on the rear near the tail light or up front by the door? So I looked at my '65 Valiant Signet convertible which has a similar moulding but not quite as long. The part number for the stud is 6001 647 and the nut is 116 000. The clips are 6001 723. The mouldings 2584 635 (I read somewhere that in '66 the mouldings are different when changed from steel to aluminum).

I was surprised that on my convertible, both the forward hole and rear hole have the stud/nut fasteners and in between are the push in clips (three push clips on each side which equals five holes each side). I removed one of the speed nuts on the convertible to find it has a little black rubber donut as a gasket seal (see photo two). The part number for the nut (116 000 above) well, I doubt that part number includes the rubber donut seal but who knows. So that still leaves me wondering where to put the stud/nut on the Barracuda, front or back?

Then I looked in the factory parts manual which lists for Valiant sedan and convertible models a total of eight stud/nut fasteners and zero clips which adds up to only 8 fasteners instead of the 10 fasteners total I found on my convertible. Must be a mid-year change to install some less "labor intensive" push clips to speed things up on the assembly line by a few seconds.

Now I look in the factory service manual for the Barracuda and it lists a total of 18 clips and 2 stud/nut fasteners, which is what I found on my '65 Formula S which has 10 holes on each side. However, no photo of the moulding removed from the vehicle was available in the parts book, so after all my research my question remains. I am thinking about using the stud/nut in the front because it looks like the moulding is held down in the rearmost area by a groove in the tail light housing.

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IIRC, the stud clip goes on the rear....where you can get a socket on it. No access in the front without pulling the interior panel.

-
Back